Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >   

Reply to this topic

SOL, WASHINGTON H SOUL PATTINSON & COMPANY LIMITED
mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 17 2019, 02:39 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Apr 17 2019, 02:00 PM

Hell no, I have no idea If/when.
I am no better than any of the other predictors of stocks.
Statistically, I am bound to get something right sometime/
I will tell you AFTER the event.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Apr 17 2019, 02:00 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 12 2019, 02:01 PM

Been in a steep downward trend since that 30 buck high of early March. ............ keen on this stock, just need to wait till the bottom is confirmed.

Now sub $24, SOL has pushed below that Sept and also late Dec lows; and not necessarily confirming a new base. Any view on if/ when, Mick?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Apr 14 2019, 02:21 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 14 2019, 01:27 PM

Yes I did ; in my SMSF. Diversification/ Risk management.... no point in adding franking credits. (( Dividend season and all that ))

Again like you, a modest amount ( around 1% of personal FUM (!) )

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 14 2019, 01:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Apr 13 2019, 05:52 PM

Did you take up any of the PE1 offer Nipper??
I took a small punt on it, nothing outrageous.
Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Apr 13 2019, 05:52 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 12 2019, 02:01 PM

With TPG and New Hope Coal large holdings in SOL, I'd imagine there's a bit of a reset going on. So, until their positions rebound (Vodafone/ coal negatives), we may be "consolidating at a lower level".

Meantime, the Pengana boys when out spruiking the PE1 float were most generous in their praise of SOL as 39% shareholder. Firm but fair, backs them in their growth plans. Listens and doesn't interfere if it makes business sense. Good cornerstone stakeholder, was the view.

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 12 2019, 02:01 PM
  Quote Post

Been in a steep downward trend since that 30 buck high of early march.
Approaching low of September last year.
keen on this stock, just need to wait till the bottom is confirmed.

mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: crooky  

nipper
post Posted: Dec 7 2018, 01:13 PM
  Quote Post

The Company has not missed paying a dividend since listing in 1903 and WHSP is one of only two companies in the All Ords Index to have increased its regular dividend every year for the last 18 years.

Dividends are declared based on the Company’s regular cash inflows less regular operating costs.

This year we will pay out, 93% of the net regular cash inflows from operations.

and then there's this:
In accordance with the Australian tax legislation, certain tax information for the Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Company Limited tax consolidated group (WHSP) will be published by the Australian Taxation Office in the near future.

The information is for the tax year ended 31 July 2017 and discloses WHSP as a nil tax payer.

Income tax payable is determined by multiplying taxable income by the applicable corporate tax rate (30% for WHSP) and then deducting tax offsets, such as franking credits from franked divdends. WHSP’s tax payable was reduced to nil in the 2017 tax year as it received franked dividends from its investments which had already paid income tax.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Oct 19 2018, 01:43 PM
  Quote Post

SOL has cracked $30 .... been pretty well straight up since steps were taken to stop the annoying Perpetual from snapping at its heels. Certainly the 'defensive discount' has gone.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Sep 20 2018, 11:39 AM
  Quote Post

SOL didn't pull a rabbit out of a hat. Down 7%

profit has fallen 20 per cent to $266.8 million compared to $333.1m a year ago, despite gains across its portfolio. The company, which holds stakes in TPG Telecom, New Hope, Brickworks, Australian Pharmaceutical Industries and Ruralco, says its revenue from operations to the year to July 31 had grown 21.4 per cent to $1.17 billion, from $967.6m.

Soul Pattinson (SOL) has lifted its final dividend one cent to 33 cents per share, fully franked.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jul 19 2018, 03:56 PM
  Quote Post

Bell Potter Securities and Morgans Financial have been hired to oversee an initial public offering of NSW-based mining electrical engineer Ampcontrol, which is expected to be worth as much as $300 million.

Ampcontrol started out as a supplier of industrial electrical products to the Hunter region and has diversified into high-growth areas including tunnelling infrastructure and renewables.

It is 43.3 per cent owned by Washington H Soul Pattinson's private equity arm, Souls Private Equity Ltd.

It is understood the company has appointed Bell Potter and Morgans to structure and market a sharemarket listing, following a beauty parade overseen by Soul Patts' Pitt Capital Partners.

Sources said Ampcontrol founding shareholder Peter Cockbain was expected to seek to sell down his 43.3 per cent stake in the event of an IPO.

--------------------

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING