Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

45 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

SMN, STRUCTURAL MONITORING SYSTEMS PLC
dr_dazmo
post Posted: Jun 18 2019, 07:46 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowanke...e/#47953f71695d

Dr_Dazmo

American Airlines Is Winning The High-Speed Wi-Fi Race

Tired of dealing with spotty and flat-out abysmal Wi-Fi on flights?

American Airlines now offers high-speed Wi-Fi and live TV on more aircraft than any other airline, after installing satellite connectivity on its entire fleet of more than 700 narrowbody aircraft that mainly fly domestic routes.

Satellite-based Wi-Fi allows passengers to stream video without buffering or interruptions and upload and download files without snafus. Upgraded bandwidth capacity ensures a quality connection even if every passenger accesses inflight internet at the same time.

Additionally, every satellite-equipped aircraft can now stream live TV, giving more customers access to 12 channels on their personal devices free of charge. American is already the only U.S. airline to offer live TV on international flights.

Kurt Stache, Senior Vice President for Marketing, Loyalty and Sales for American, said it was a goal to “provide our customers with the same level of entertainment and connectivity options they enjoy in their own living rooms.”

American’s domestic narrowbody aircraft are equipped with either Gogo 2Ku or ViaSat Ka, which both operate via satellites in the sky instead of towers on the ground.

Once onboard, passengers can connect their devices to American’s Wi-Fi signal and then either purchase internet or watch free live TV or streamed entertainment options.

More good news: American will soon install power outlets and tablet holders at every seat across its mainline fleet. USB power will be positioned next to the tablet holder for easy charging, according to the statement.

Of course, the only thing better than superfast Wi-Fi is free superfast Wi-Fi. Last March, Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian told Barron's, “Our goal is to make Wi-Fi free with high-speed quality. It will take another year or two to make that happen.”

--------------------
Always remember the Golden Rule - Those with the Gold make the Rules!

dr_dazmo
post Posted: Jun 15 2019, 02:31 PM
  Quote Post

Hi All,
Big hat tip to Poseidon1945 on HC for the below. graduated.gif

https://exhibitor.mroeurope.aviationweek.co...informa-top-bar

Cheers

Dr_Dazmo

--------------------

dr_dazmo
post Posted: Jun 13 2019, 07:54 AM
  Quote Post

Hi All,I see that an updated Top 20 shareholders listing has been posted on the SMN website:

http://www.smsystems.com.au/top-20-shareholders/

There seem to have been a few moves since the last listing (30/4/19), with Paul Cozzi up significantly (almost 810K), but some others such as McLarty down (almost 117K).
I find these shareholder listings a bit misleading, particularly when there is a reasonable amount of trading occurring. For example JP Morgan is down 21K, while Citigroup are up roughly the same since the April update.
From the outside there seems to be activity, but I guess it could be a single shareholder shuffling shares between different entities to provide that appearance? blink.gif

CheersDr_Dazmo

--------------------

dr_dazmo
post Posted: May 29 2019, 07:42 AM
  Quote Post

Hi All,
Some more positive "bread & butter" news from AEM.
<h1 class="entry-title" id="#content" tabindex="-1">Austrian Air Force selects AEM master caution panel for AB212 fleet</h1>
https://www.verticalmag.com/press-releases/...or-ab212-fleet/

Mr.Google suggests the Austrian AF have 23 of the AB212 helicopters in their fleet, so I assume there is reasonable coin involved.

Cheers
Dr_Dazmo

<h1 class="entry-title" id="#content" tabindex="-1">
</h1>

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: kelder2001  

ChromeDome01
post Posted: May 16 2019, 08:28 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ May 11 2019, 11:26 AM

Hi All, this is an extract from the annual report End of June 2017.

The Company, via this Agreement, will now move quickly to secure global adoption of CVMTM for "hot-spot" monitoring in civil fixed-wing aviation. This adoption cycle will primarily focus on the retrofit of existing aircraft and, over time, likely move progressively toward the installation of CVMTM at the point of manufacture. The Company's primary initial operational goal of the Agreement with Delta is to approve multiple applications on multiple aircraft types. Once approved, SMS will promote this "portfolio" of applications to all global airline operators. With ongoing adoption, licensing revenues - combined with sensor and equipment sales - will be expected to be substantial, and perpetual, in nature. As a Company, we believe that a naturally evolving industry adoption of CVMTM as a unique and fully-validated technology is now virtually assured. As SMS moves towards the establishment of a global portfolio of approved applications, operators will increasingly employ CVMTM technology in order to maximise aircraft utilization, and the associated "in-the-air" revenue to be earned from their respective fleets. www.asx.com.au Smn annual report 2017.

What this tells me over the last two years is the progress SMS has taken to establish CVM technology as the preferred application in monitoring hard to get to areas on any aircraft in safety maintenance A,B,C & D checks.

This is what we now know:
1. Sensors are being installed on B757 aircraft for application approval by FAA. We know that the FAA has release a new AD on all B757 aircraft as per link.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2...mpany-airplanes

This AD comes into effect on 22 May 2019.

2. Sensors are now being installed on 20 x B737-NG aircraft on Aft Bulkhead. This is to be completed by years end.

3. In my opinion and my opinion only, I am expecting news in August from SMS in regards to the WiFi applications as per previous announcements.

Everyone involved in the aviation industry knows that CVM is not the one stop solution in crack detection on all aircraft. Other technologies will have there
Areas on aircraft to make all aircraft structurally safer in the future than they are today, and that is progress.

I hope this drops the penny on all the people who keep asking "When are CVM sensors going to be installed on any aircraft?"

Hopefully, everyone can move forward and talk about the future instead of looking at all the negatives.

No amount of legislation can help the stupidity of people.

Good luck

Said 'Thanks' for this post: kelder2001  

balance
post Posted: May 11 2019, 11:26 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: r2d2shares's post @ May 10 2019, 02:57 PM

That wifi is a different installation to the one I am working with. As I said before, I believe there is a niche for the CVM tech as indicated in your post. How far reaching that will be I am uncertain. Tbh, I have no idea what the revenue and more importantly profit will be made.

They maybe better off moving to the states completely given that really is the place for aviation. We are a backwater. We have some very good carriers but SMN need to be in the faces of the large airlines and their MROs.The FAA call the tune for many national regulators also, ie CASA here.

SMN is not on my radar . I'm too old to jump into too many speccies, but quite interested due to my aviation background.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

r2d2shares
post Posted: May 10 2019, 02:57 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ May 9 2019, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the response, all very logical. Definitely see what you are saying and agree for the larger part it may not be as clear cut as SMN is making out.

It would be interesting to hear the company expand on the subject particularly in the case of the WiFi radome application. As we understand / have been told by the company, there are mandatory inspections required for specific areas for the WiFi radome installations. The sensor design would cover the regulators or OEM's inspection requirements I would expect. See images below from a company presentation for CVM applications they have identified and their associated check frequency from initial check to repeat. These applications have been identified by DAL.

They state in the presentation that every 300 cycles the WiFi Antenna is removed and eddy current is used to inspect around each of the fastener holes. So very regularly. SB driven.

The aft pressure bulkhead they are also targeting as a viable application doesn't mention check frequencies, however being difficult to access they could check it regularly without any disassembly.

It has certainly been said over the years that the viable applications will likely be around allowing airlines to get extended use from their fleet while reducing the burden of associated regular inspection schedules.

I guess all we can do it wait and see. It is encouraging that Delta have been driving things forward. They seem to see value in the technology, and for not insignificant amounts of revenue for SMN should it all play out as us shareholders hope.

Attached Image

Attached Image

balance
post Posted: May 10 2019, 09:26 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: ChromeDome01's post @ May 10 2019, 08:12 AM

Grow up mate.I'm providing constructive back ground based on actual on the job experience. Over 40 years of it. If you cant handle that, you are in the wrong stock.
I don't own it, I dont do much spec investing these days nor am I in Afterpay.

--------------------
I'm 29.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

ChromeDome01
post Posted: May 10 2019, 08:12 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ May 9 2019, 06:13 PM

Mate, your best form of attack is to give CVM the flick! CVM is definitely not for you.

I gather your more of a money man, so how about investing in APT.

The market is telling you this is a sure thing. A market cap above 6 Billion without ever making a profit.

If your looking for structural cracks, that's your best place to start looking.

Good luck.

balance
post Posted: May 9 2019, 06:13 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: r2d2shares's post @ May 9 2019, 01:58 PM

the value in CVM has always been in compliance $ savings, not in avoiding a defect / issue.

I can't answer that with authority. I'm no expert when it comes to CVM tech by any stretch and only speak from my own experience.

If there are known problem spots which generally develop over years and multiple pressurization cycles, I see there maybe a place for CVM monitoring but I struggle with widespread use of it.

how often does it need to be inspected after installation?

In our installations I am not aware of any extra inspection. The radome comes off if an antenna goes U/S where it would get a general visual inspection. maybe during a C check a full crown inspection would be carried out. In this case I would guess it would be detailed visual inspection. Unlikely any NDT (non destructive testing) would be used unless a problem was detected or history is developed from defect reports from other operators.
In saying this though, during these inspections, where things needs to be pulled apart to access the areas that need to be tested with incumbent methods (eddy current, visual etc), then put back together, wouldn't it be advantageous to avoid the entire disassembly process. It opens up the potential for human error / incidental damage on an otherwise sound installation.

In new installations where do you put sensors? Everywhere? Guess where the weak spots are? What if you are wrong and cracks develop elsewhere and remain undetected?
I don't want anyone to think I'm talking this down, I wish it and investors the very best.

--------------------
I'm 29.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: r2d2shares  

45 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING