Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

94 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

LYC, LYNAS CORPORATION LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: May 20 2019, 09:03 AM
  Quote Post

Lynas Corporation Limited, an Australian Corporation and Blue Line Corporation, a Texas Corporation, are pleased to announce the signing of an MOU for a joint venture to develop Rare Earths separation capacity in the United States.

Lynas is the largest producer of Rare Earth materials outside of China and has captured a significant percentage of Rare Earth materials produced world-wide today. Lynas has expertise in extraction, separation and mining at its mine in Western Australia and separation facilities in Malaysia.

Blue Line Corporation is a leading United States processor of Rare Earth products
- Trumpy will like this one

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Apr 13 2019, 06:05 PM
  Quote Post

Will Malaysia leave Lynas in the lurch?

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2019/04/12/wil...lynas-in-limbo/

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Apr 9 2019, 01:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Apr 9 2019, 12:28 PM

WES put the cart before the horse, from what I've read - "Wesfarmers does not have a live takeover offer for Lynas on the table. It does not own any shares in Lynas. Yet, it is acting as though it owns the company and is entitled to engage with all its stakeholders"

Lynas had spent months in delicate negotiations with the Malaysian government over the disposal of mildly radioactive waste generated by its rare earths plant in Kuantan, Malaysia, when Wesfarmers barged into the country to meet government officials.

Lynas had explored many different ways of meeting the demands of the Malaysian government including building a cracking and leaching facility that would extract the radioactive waste at a location outside Malaysia.

Instead of allowing Lynas to manage its relationship with the Malaysian government and come to an agreement acceptable to both sides about meeting new licence conditions, Wesfarmers elbowed its way in without having a dog in the fight.

Wesfarmers does not have a live takeover offer for Lynas on the table. It does not own any shares in Lynas. Yet, it is acting as though it owns the company and is entitled to engage with all its stakeholders.

The folly of its move was shown by the statement issue by Mahathir last Friday. Following his discussions with Wesfarmers, Mahathir was not only willing to pre-empt the outcome of the negotiations with Lynas, but he also launched into unhelpful speculation about its ownership.

So what we have done is we have opened up the business to other people, and there are other companies willing to buy up or somehow or other acquire Lynas, they have given us a promise that in future before sending the raw material to Malaysia they will clean it up first, they will crack it and decontaminate it in some way with regard to radioactivity, so that when the raw material comes here, the volume is less and the waste from that raw material is not dangerous to anybody,” Mahathir said.

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Apr 9 2019, 12:28 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Apr 9 2019, 11:18 AM

Yes, probably, .... but the Malaysian problem predates WES interest, and they'd be pilloried for not doing due diligence if thought not to have.

As usual, the truth is often half way between (though I bring no special knowledge to the table)

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Apr 9 2019, 11:18 AM
  Quote Post

Must say, I agree with Tony Boyd
Wesfarmers plays dirty tricks with Lynas
Wesfarmers has taken the ethical behaviour in takeovers to a new low with its direct lobbying of the Malaysian government to advance its commercial interests at the expense of Lynas Corp, a company it is seeking to control.

Wesfarmers chief executive Rob Scott is using the most overtly aggressive takeover tactics seen in Australia since the stock exchange was dominated by the takeover buccaneers of the 1980s who were expert at playing dirty.

From now on any company that comes into the orbit of Wesfarmers as a possible takeover target should watch out.

The Lynas stoush has sent a clear message to all listed companies. If Wesfarmers wants control of a company it will use whatever means are at its disposal including directly lobbying a foreign government to potentially harm the interests of the proposed target.

read more - https://www.afr.com/chanticleer/wesfarmers-...20190408-p51c44
https://www.shortman.com.au/stock?q=lyc

Meanwhile LYC today outlined it's plans

9 April 2019
UPDATE ON GROWTH PLANS
As noted in the Lynas Corporation Limited (ASX:LYC, OTC:LYSDY) announcements
dated 8 April 2019 and 17 October 2018, for some months, Lynas has been developing
detailed plans to grow with the market and deliver long term shareholder value. These
plans will also assist the company to mitigate risk from any regulatory changes in
Malaysia.

We see value in operating alternative cracking and leaching processing close to our
resource, and therefore the primary locations that we have been considering for growth
are in Western Australia.

Part of this planning has been to scope our future industrial footprint. Our preference has
always been to add to our Malaysian capability, not replace it. Our Malaysian cracking
and leaching operations are performing very well as a result of the IP our Malaysian team
has developed and owned – IP which others cannot use – and the hard work of all the
Lynas team. We remain committed to supporting the Malaysian economy and protecting
our people’s jobs. However, this same work means we are well placed to deal with any
change in Malaysian government policy.

This planning is critical for our customers, our staff, our shareholders and Malaysia, as
Malaysia seeks to build its 4.0 industries that rely on the use of Rare Earth materials. At
this time, no decisions have been made, however the events of the past few weeks mean
we are accelerating this work, and we will share this with you when it is ready.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Apr 8 2019, 10:49 AM
  Quote Post

The Malaysian government revealed on Friday that companies interested in acquiring Lynas have agreed to extract radioactive waste before importing it to the Lynas processing plant in Malaysia.

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad reportedly revealed in a media briefing after a cabinet meeting that companies were interested in acquiring Lynas.

In a statement yesterday Wesfarmers confirmed it has been in discussions with the Malaysian government about Lynas Corp after launching a so far spurned $1.5 billion takeover offer in late March.

But Wesfarmers did not take any responsibility for the announcement on Friday evening by Prime Minister Mahathir of the new conditions which could raise questions about the future of the rare earths group.

Reuters reported on the weekend that the Malaysian Prime Minister apparently told the media conference that the new measures about extracting the radioactive elements in the rare earths ore before it was sent to Malaysia would be required if Lynas wants its licence renewed in September.

Dr. Mahathir did not mention the names of the companies interested in acquiring Lynas. he reportedly told the briefing “We have opened up the business to other people, and there are other companies willing to acquire Lynas.”

“They have given us a promise that in the future before sending the raw materials to Malaysia they will clean it up first. They will crack it and decontaminated it in some way with regard to radioactivity.”

He added that this suitor, or Lynas itself, would be able to operate in Malaysia if they promised that raw materials coming to Malaysia are cleaned of this radioactive material.

In a statement on Sunday Wesfarmers said: “It is consistent with prior public statements by the Government and the views shared with us in meetings with senior Malaysian Government officials since we announced our proposal to acquire Lynas. We look forward to more detail from the Government about Lynas’ operating licence certainty, to assess the conditionality of our proposal.”

Lynas said in a statement at the weekend (after news of the Prime Minster’s briefing) that it “is seeking clarification from the government regarding the Prime Minister’s press conference and will provide an update when further information is available,” Lynas said after the press conference Friday evening.
....um

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Mar 28 2019, 09:51 AM
  Quote Post

Lynas’ Mt Weld mine north of Laverton in Western Australia is the only rare earths asset on the government’s list of major critical minerals operating and developing mines in Australia.

The strategic importance of Mt Weld was first underlined by the government in 2009 when the Foreign Investment Review Board blocked a takeover by a state-owned Chinese entity.

FIRB said the $252 million bid for a 51 per cent stake could threaten supply to non-Chinese buyers of what have emerged as key ingredients in permanent magnets used in electric vehicles and the aerospace and defence industries.

“We have concluded that they would not be able to exclude the possibility that Lynas' production could be controlled to the detriment of non-Chinese end users,” FIRB minutes, obtained by Bloomberg under a Freedom of Information request, said.

It is understood the US, the European Union and Japan have made behind-the-scenes appeals to the Malaysian government in recent times to keep the Lynas processing plant at Kuantan open despite pressure from some politicians over the storage of low-level radioactive waste.

Both federal and WA authorities would need to sign off on any move by Lynas, or potential suitor Wesfarmers, to bring 450,000 tonnes of waste stockpiled in Malaysia back into the country as part of any peace deal. The most likely scenario if the waste is shipped is that it will be trucked out to Mt Weld.
https://www.afr.com/business/mining/new-min...20190327-p51804

- govt paper on strategic minerals out today.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Mar 27 2019, 05:28 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Mar 27 2019, 01:10 PM

... [Rob Scott] now has a fight on his hands to win this takeover battle.

[Lynas CEO Amanda] Lacaze told The Australian: “Wesfarmers has a fine opinion of itself but as a Wesfarmers shareholder I am very disappointed. “It brings nothing to the table but a cheque book,” she added, before noting: “I will not hesitate calling out bullying when it happens.” Lacaze said: “Wesfarmers simply doesn’t have access to the critical information on this company, which is a lot more complex than an Australian retail business.”

What Wesfarmers does have is the commentary from auditor Ernst &Young (the same auditor as Wesfarmers) which said earlier this year the environmental issues facing the rare earths miner “may cast significant doubt about the consolidated entity’s ability to continue as a going concern”.

give it a break, lady. Its business. With Malaysia badly handled, & LYC in need of capital to grow, plus, quite possibly, fewer cowboys wouldn't go astray.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

blacksheep
post Posted: Mar 27 2019, 01:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Mar 27 2019, 11:07 AM

Let's hope the Board don't regret that decision down the track. Don't underestimate "people power" . The residents/environmental groups in Malaysia have been fighting LYC for years, I doubt they will stop anytime soon.

As predicted, quite a few sold on the news of the bid

Lynas' Malaysian operating licence is up for renewal in September and new, tough conditions recently imposed by the Southeast Asian country pose a regulatory hurdle for the company.

Westfarmers' offer carried significant conditions, including that the transaction would be subject to “ensuring that relevant operating licences in Malaysia are in force and will remain in force for a satisfactory period following completion of the transaction.”

The bid did not appease shareholders of the retail-to-chemicals conglomerate, and they dumped the company's stock in Tuesday's session on concerns around Lynas' processing plant in Malaysia.

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 27 2019, 11:07 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Mar 26 2019, 10:10 PM

LYC Board has rejected proposal out of hand.
Now to sit back and see who wins.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

94 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING