Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

MEC, MORPHIC ETHICAL EQUITIES FUND LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: May 21 2017, 04:21 PM
  Quote Post

Morphic Asset Management managing director Jack Lowenstein, an ethical investor who helped build Hunter Hall's peak $3 billion asset base, saw an opportunity to launch a new LIC.
"The LIC structure appeals to people who want exposure in ethical funds directly and may not have a lot to invest, so are not viable clients for financial planners," he says. "We believe ethical LICs can take ethical investors to a wider audience, including younger investors."

Morphic's mandate allows the short-selling of companies with poor ESG performance – a controversial move that enables the LIC to profit from investment activity in companies that are seen to act unethically should their share price fall.

"This feature undoubtedly cost us some investors," says Lowenstein. "But we believe the market will inevitably come to us on this issue. Effectively, we can use short-selling of companies with poor ESG practices to help fund investments in companies with good ESG. That will support our goal of higher returns and lower volatility in the LIC, over time."

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: May 16 2017, 06:41 PM
  Quote Post

This new LIC, MEC is up and running - fully invested, including shorts
The End of Creative Destruction: How Facebook & Silicon Valley Destroy Growth

"You can see the computer age everywhere but in the productivity statistics." - Robert Solow (1987)

"Technological innovation seems to be moving faster than ever, from driverless cars to robot lawyers to 3D-printed human organs. The not-so-good news is that we can see technological breakthroughs everywhere except in the productivity statistics." - Christine Lagarde, IMF (April 2017)

"The main aim of a start-up in San Francisco is to get bought out by one of the big guys before you run out of money" - small Venture Capitalist in recent conversation
http://www.morphicasset.com/blog/the-end-o...ve-destruction/

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

ShareScene.com
post Posted: May 5 2017, 03:35 PM
  Quote Post

Added by request: Morphic Ethical Equities Fund Limited (MEC)

Regards,

ShareScene Admin

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING