Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

BAF, BLUE SKY ALTERNATIVES ACCESS FUND LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Jul 15 2019, 10:26 AM
  Quote Post

A bit of double talk, or valuation disconnect, going on here ?
The pre-tax NTA of the Alternatives Fund increased by 2.1 cents per share, or 1.9%, to $1.1343 per share in June. The growth in NTA was largely driven by an increase in carrying values of several assets across the portfolio.

During the month, the Alternatives Fund continued its on-market share buy-back program and acquired an additional 315,147 shares at an average price of $0.7222 representing a 36% discount to June’s pre-tax NTA. The buyback will recommence following lodgement of this report.

The Board would like to acknowledge the significant work undertaken by the manager to strengthen and improve the valuation process including the appointment of a new valuer, streamlining processes and increasing the transparency of the valuation process supporting the individual asset values. The Board has every confidence that these changes will enhance the robustness of the Company’s financial statements.
- Investors happy to get out, at a big discount. Those buying would have the opposite view.

Currently trading around 77c.

Truth lies in the middle, or is it just an illiquidity / visibility discount?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jul 12 2019, 10:04 AM
  Quote Post

During June, the directors of BAF invited GVF portfolio manager, Miles Staude, to join the BAF Board. Miles is looking forward to working with the existing BAF directors in their efforts to ultimately see the substantial underlying value within the company realised for the benefit of all shareholders.

- GVF hold 10,868,143 ordinary shares in BAF, according to the Initial Directors notice
(and saw something about the Student Housing holding likely to be sorted out in an acceptable manner, in next few months)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jun 14 2019, 10:56 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 14 2019, 10:37 AM

... water rights are the asset I think will do very well..
I think so, too.

Duxton Water D2O is a cleaner, more liquid exposure, if you are interested.

(But now we are in drought, I noted a rant on some TV current affairs (sic) program lambasting Corporate gougers ripping off the little man, by controlling Murray-Darling water rights. Either you have a method of price signals or you don't; no system is perfect and with environmental flows / States rights / politics of envy a sad reality, any scarce resource is going to become a political football. IE Risk abounds !!)

PS: BAF may not be too much of a long-term thing, unless WAM gets hold of it. With BLA in hands of administrators, assets (co-owned with BAF) will be realised, the easier ones first then the vultures picking over some of the more problematic capital-hungry ones down the track.

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 14 2019, 10:37 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 14 2019, 10:09 AM

Today, I have bought into BAF for a long term hold.
Their water rights are the asset I think will do very well.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Jun 14 2019, 10:09 AM
  Quote Post

One portfolio position that has generated some interest from our shareholders recently is the company’s investment in Blue Sky Alternatives Access Fund. There has been no shortage of press written about the unfortunate demise of Blue Sky the asset manager over the past year. There is an important difference however, between Blue Sky the asset management company (BLA), and Blue Sky Alternatives Access Fund (BAF), an investment fund. The former is an operating business driven by revenues and costs, the latter is a portfolio of assets.

At our core at GVF we are asset traders, looking for assets where we see compelling value and where we believe we can be involved in the process of unlocking this value over time. A key part of our investment thesis in BAF is that the substantial ‘noise’ generated by the failure of the manager has created a compelling value opportunity in the fund.

Currently c.40% of the BAF investment portfolio is made up of cash at hand, and a portfolio of water rights. We estimate that these water rights have generated a return of more than 30%3 over the past 12 months. They also were subject to an unsolicited buyout offer at their carrying value late last year by Chris Corrigan and Peter Scanlon, two high profile Australian investors.

In simple terms, if you assume BAF’s cash and water assets are worth book value, the market price of BAF today values the rest of the investment portfolio at approximately 40 cents on the dollar. While not without risks, we believe the current value proposition is very compelling. We have been energetically engaged with both the BAF board and Blue Sky the asset manager since building a position and we expect to be able to update investors on the progress of those engagements soon.
- from Global Value Fund (GVF) monthly update

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

nipper
post Posted: May 20 2019, 03:51 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: oilleak's post @ May 11 2019, 07:59 PM

proactive , and sensibly so
Earlier today, BSAAF Management Pty Limited communicated to BAF, that it remains solvent in the opinion of BSAAF’s directors.

After the BLA announcement on 9 May, last week the BAF directors took steps to secure control of the bank account holding in excess of $29,000,000 by placing a stop on the account and replacing all manager account signatories with the three BAF directors. BAF is considering its options and will take such action as is considered necessary to protect its investment portfolio.

With the uncertain financial and control situation of BLA, the BAF directors continue to believe that BSAAF should immediately follow through with its previous commitment to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with Wilson Asset Management (International) Ltd so that BAF shareholders can be given an opportunity to vote on that proposal. This is irrespective of BAF’s rights which are fully reserved.

Separately, BAF continues to take legal advice on its options and will update the market in due course.

--------------------

oilleak
post Posted: May 11 2019, 07:59 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 10 2019, 11:08 AM

Should be a nice tussle if BLA can survive.....??

nipper
post Posted: May 10 2019, 11:08 AM
  Quote Post

Pause in trading (TP or not TH)

I think the WAM offer is coming. Rescue dog. http://www.doggierescue.com/adoptadog.htm

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Feb 14 2019, 02:05 PM
  Quote Post

The pre-tax NTA of the Alternatives Fund increased by 2.3 cents per share, or 2.1%, to $1.1308 per share in January.

During the month, the Alternatives Fund continued the share buyback program and acquired an additional 335,459 shares at an average price of $0.89 representing a 21% discount to January’s pretax NTA. The buyback will recommence following lodgement of this report.

I refer to the BAF Board’s update on management arrangements of 14 January 2019. There has been only limited progress since, but BAF continues to work with Blue Sky Alternative Investments Limited (BLA) and its newly constituted Board as it considers a change of manager to Wilson Asset Management. The BAF Board’s intentions are unchanged, and we continue to work to get to a position where we can provide BAF shareholders with an opportunity to vote on a proposal to change manager at an extraordinary general meeting as soon as possible...
.... market not pricing in this? (but then, glacial progress and unconvincing narrative with lingering valuation questions)

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 14 2019, 03:36 PM
  Quote Post

Blue Sky Alternatives Access Fund says it is making progress with Wilson Asset Management on WAM’s proposal to take over the management of its fund.

Alongside that, it today told the market director and past chairman Andrew Champion had resigned, with the search now on to fill the his role on the three-man board.

“The BAF Board is also working with BSAAF Management (Manager) and the Board of Blue Sky Alternative Investments Limited (BLA) to advance their consideration, and requisite approval, of the WAM proposal,” it said. “It remains the BAF Board’s intention to put the WAM management proposal to an Extraordinary General Meeting in early 2019.”

The remaining directors of the Manager are Kim Morison and Tim Wilson

--------------------

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING