Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

AZJ, AURIZON HOLDINGS LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Apr 3 2017, 01:33 PM
  Quote Post

Rail operator Aurizon Holdings says it may take weeks to repair some lines in Queensland's coal mining hub after widespread flooding and damage caused by Cyclone Debbie. The cyclone, the most powerful storm since Cyclone Yasi made landfall in February 2011, last week forced the closure of many port and mining operations in Queensland, which accounts for about 60 per cent of global shipments of coking coal.

Aurizon, which hauls coal for miners including BHP Billiton and Glencore, said its four major rail routes through the central Queensland coal hub remain closed. It said access to its Goonyella lines, which connect inland coal mines with the Dalrymple Bay and Hay Point coal export terminals, has been particularly limited, with initial assessments indicating significant landslips on the rail corridor
Dow Jones Newswires

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

ShareScene.com
post Posted: Dec 11 2012, 12:22 PM
  Quote Post

Company name updated -

To: AURIZON HOLDINGS LIMITED (AZJ)

Regards, ShareScene.com

alonso
post Posted: Nov 6 2012, 10:26 AM
  Quote Post

QR National share price hit by broker's concerns on China
THE share price of QR National tumbled nearly 2 per cent yesterday as one major broker downgraded the stock amid increasing concerns about an anticipated slowdown in China.

Deutsche Bank said it was downgrading QR National to a "hold" amid concerns about the resources bubble bursting.

Analysts said ongoing concerns about China resources trade dropping and consequently Australian coal exports faltering had impacted on the decision.

Other stockbroking houses anticipated a base price of QR National of $3.57 and a short-term high of $3.96, compared with the rail group's closing price yesterday of $3.68, down 6 or 1.6 per cent.

"You've got leadership changes in China, a potential leadership change in the US, Melbourne Cup day in Australia today along with the RBA board meeting, so volumes are very light and it doesn't take much to move the market and hence QR is down," a senior trader said.

QR National meanwhile has postponed its annual meeting because of the recent placement of stock by the Newman Government.

The AGM will now be held on November 21, when shareholders will be asked to approve a share buyback with Queensland Treasury Holdings to acquire $1 billion worth of shares, or 11.9 per cent, at $3.47 a share. The sale is part of the long-awaited state government selldown of its 36 per cent stake in the group.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

alonso
post Posted: Oct 30 2012, 02:37 PM
  Quote Post

I think that train's coasting downhill & coming round to the station again.

My trouble is I never had a train set as a lad so I'm having fun playing trains now.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

alonso
post Posted: Oct 10 2012, 08:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Oct 9 2012, 08:29 AM

nipper, I don't know how it will all play out but I took my profits yesterday.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Oct 9 2012, 08:29 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Sep 15 2012, 12:34 PM

Cunning QR deal outfoxes the herd : by John Durie ; from: The Australian

THE genius in yesterday's QR National deal was exploiting the stockmarket's tragic herd mentality weakness, which not only allowed the Queensland government to walk away with a $400 million profit on its stake but left the remaining shareholders to share the spoils of a $436m increase in market value to a touch of $8.4 billion.

With restrictions on the sale of the Queensland government shares lifted at the end of August, the market was trading in expectation of a large block sale, which meant hedge funds could short the stock with immunity, and big fund managers could do what they do best and sit on their hands.

QRN was trading as low as $3.07 a share in late July on the speculation the government would sell a chunk of its 34 per cent stake in the rail company to pay down its debt.

The new government, of course, had allowed itself the right to sell down holdings in some assets while maintaining the moral high ground by pledging no major new privatisations without first going to an election. Treasurer Tim Nicholls deserves praise for this deal and he will deserve even more when he sells the final 16 per cent government stake in the company.

QRN finance boss Deborah O'Toole and her team has workshopped the deal for months, with pitches from every bank in town; but what distinguished the UBS pitch was the fact it was made at a premium to the market when everyone was assuming a block trade would come at a discount.

That's why all the supposedly smart money was happy to short the stock on the expectation of coming back at a cheaper price down the track. The deal presented to the government on Friday by UBS's Guy Fowler is subject to shareholder approval but involves QRN buying $1bn worth of shares from the government and another $500m being placed in selected institutions.

The fine details were negotiated over the weekend and unveiled yesterday, leaving the hedge funds that were short on the stock having to change tack fast.

A smart deal all round. At $3.47, the share price was at a premium to the market price of $3.42 but resulted in an immediate re-rating of the stock, which closed up 5 per cent at $3.65.

There was some history to work from, given then CBA boss David Murray did much the same when he bought some of the government's remaining stake in the bank back in 1996 to remove the feds from his share register.

The off-market buyback increases QRN's gearing from 13 per cent to 25 per cent. But, given the expansion pressure has eased, that leaves the firm with plenty of cash. It has $3bn in bank facilities of which just $1.1bn in drawn.

Next move for Nicholls is to exploit his handiwork and push ahead with more asset sales.

A slew of studies from the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission, Productivity Commission and others have shown government ownership of key assets has an adverse effect on infrastructure productivity. All that is needed is some political leadership.

QRN was floated in November 2010 at $2.45 a share and, market willing, should continue to increase from yesterday's close given many fund managers have been caught sleeping or trying to be too clever.

In all a great deal from UBS, the government, QRN and the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, which was one of the new buyers.

you have to wonder about those entrusted with the average mug punter's superannuation money

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

alonso
post Posted: Sep 15 2012, 12:34 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Sep 14 2012, 10:25 AM

NAB has become a substantial holder again. These guys are so predictable but I bet they didn't know about the Q Gov proposed sale, unless they knew about it 3 days ago, which is entirely possible.

--------------------

alonso
post Posted: Sep 14 2012, 10:25 AM
  Quote Post

Q Gov to sell remaining 34% stake, but not till next year .

Not sure what impact this is going to have. My gut feeling is to take profits after buyback has done its thing
and wait it out.

--------------------

alonso
post Posted: Sep 7 2012, 10:48 AM
  Quote Post

The size of this buyback seems humungous even though it translates into 10%. My question is, in this fortescuesque market, does it bump the price up or just help to stop it from falling.
That's assuming that today is just another one of those euro blips before we get back to the real business of contraction.

--------------------

alonso
post Posted: Aug 24 2012, 11:24 AM
  Quote Post

QR National chief upbeat about China's ore needs (SMH 24/8)

FOR a man who has bet the house on the Asian growth story, Lance Hockridge remains upbeat despite signs that China's demand for Australian minerals is waning.

''I know a lot of you were sceptical about our ability to deliver on those promises,'' said Mr Hockridge, chief executive of Australia's largest rail operator, QR National, as he revealed its latest earnings.

In the short term at least, he has every reason to smile.

QR National reported a full-year profit of $441 million, a 22 per cent rise from the previous year, and beating analysts' expectations by about $80 million.

Mr Hockridge pocketed $4.6 million, compared with $4.1 million the previous year.

QR's shares jumped on the news, rising as much as 15¢, or 4.3 per cent, to a high of $3.62.

The company's strong performance came in a tough year, with coal volumes 47 million tonnes lower than QR had forecast ahead of its listing nearly two years ago.

This was due to weaker demand from China, industrial action at BHP Billiton's Queensland coalmines, and a slow recovery from floods. Mr Hockridge axed 900 workers in the last financial year, continuing an 18-month cost-cutting drive that began when the former premier, Anna Bligh, privatised Queensland's rail freight system, the second biggest float in Australian history.

The cuts include 750 voluntary redundancies, which will cost $75 million.

QR makes most of its money charging big miners to carry their coal and iron ore.

In particular, QR hauls metallurgical coal, used in steel making, which means the company is a bet on Asia's urbanisation, not coal-fired energy. When the company floated in November 2010, the mining boom seemed to many unstoppable, but some analysts cautioned that the freight business was vulnerable if China lost its appetite for resources.

The odds are lengthening. China's growth continues to slow and QR's biggest customer, BHP, reported this week that it has frozen more than $50 billion worth of expansion projects.

Yet Mr Hockridge says he remains optimistic about China, although clearly there would not be some miraculous return to mid-200-tonne volumes of coal. ''But it's not appropriate that we say the sky is falling,'' he said.

''We continue to believe that we are well positioned.''

Mr Hockridge said QR would buy back up to 10 per cent of its shares on market, worth about $850 million at current prices, as its balance sheet was stronger than expected, due to cost cuts and a slower pace of growth on new projects.

''What's happened, in my view, is a lot of the excess has gone out of the aspirational end of the resource boom, but the fundamentals remain.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/qr-national...l#ixzz24QFGtMi6

--------------------

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING