Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

HLO, HELLOWORLD TRAVEL LIMITED
blacksheep
post Posted: Feb 25 2019, 12:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Feb 21 2019, 07:19 PM

Updated chart
https://www.shortman.com.au/stock?q=hlo

Helloworld's facebook page appears to have been "cleaned up" somewhat since Friday but still contains some messages to management about the "scandal" - example....
Can I please have The phone Number of your Chief Executive Andrew Burnes? I would like to book a FREE holiday to Singapore with him but I can NOT offer him any contracts with the Federal Government.

https://www.facebook.com/helloworldau/

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Feb 21 2019, 07:19 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Feb 21 2019, 07:14 PM

Looking forward to HLO's next "clarification" that addresses Carstensen's version of events

That was quick biggrin.gif

Statement from Helloworld Travel CEO Andrew Burnes
21 February 2019
Helloworld Travel CEO Andrew Burnes today corrected erroneous information aired in Senate Estimates:
“I did not organise any meetings between Russell Carstensen and Joe Hockey. Mr Carstensen’s own email of
24 April, 2017 shows that he organised the meeting with Mr Hockey and I was simply CCed on the email.”

“Further, Mr Hockey and I did not discuss the meeting in Washington at any time after it took place. The
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) employees were present at all times in that meeting and the
meeting was disclosed by Mr Carstensen to Department of Finance and Administration (DOFA) at the time, as
was appropriate and necessary under the contractual arrangements with DOFA.”

“I emphatically deny ever having told Mr Carstensen that Mr Hockey “owes me” or any words to that effect.
Joe Hockey and I have been close friends for 20 years and it would be ridiculous to suggest I would say or imply
he owes me anything.”

Mr Carstensen, who was head of both QBT and Air Tickets at the time of the meeting with Mr Hockey and the
DFAT employees, resigned from Helloworld Travel in May 2018 and left the business immediately.

Mr Burnes pointed out that he had never received special treatment from Liberal Governments. He said the
Whole of Government Accommodation Management contract awarded to AOT, which was founded by Mr
Burnes in 1987, was won under the federal Labor Government in 2012. In 2015, AOT tendered for the Whole of
Government Travel Management contract – under a federal Coalition Government – and was unsuccessful.
AOT was a competitor of Helloworld’s when both these contracts were awarded and the two companies later
merged in 2016.

This is an article dated 2015 when Carsten was with QBT and they won the Whole of Australian Government (WoAG) contract as a new chapter for the business that will open new doors for the Helloworld-owned TMC.https://travelbulletin.com.au/articles/industry-news/qbt-embarks-on-next-phase/

Sounds like there might be a bit of bad blood somewhere - " resigned from Helloworld Travel in May 2018 and left the business immediately."

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

blacksheep
post Posted: Feb 21 2019, 07:14 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Feb 21 2019, 02:53 PM

In fairness to HLO that statement was made yesterday - before the tabling today of the email from the former HLO exec Russell Carstensen

Looking forward to HLO's next "clarification" that addresses Carstensen's version of events biggrin.gif

I wonder if ASIC will get involved in this saga.

Could also be a couple of other disgruntled competitors who missed out

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Feb 21 2019, 02:53 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Feb 21 2019, 01:53 PM

I hope that statement by the Helloworld CEO was drafted by his gun lawyer as to this mug punter it looks like it contains a clear misrepresentation.

His statement says in part: "Mr Burnes did not request the meeting with DFAT personnel in the United States."

But Helloworld's pointman on servicing the needs of the embassy in Washington, Russell Carstensen, has sent written correspondence to the Senate in which he says in part:"I was contacted by Mr Burnes [Helloworld's CEO] via email/SMS and voice call to tell me he had arranged a meeting with Mr Hockey and I had to fly home via Washington to meet with him. I asked Mr Burnes how could this be done so quickly. He verbally advised me, ‘Hockey owes me.’"

Carstensen also said that when he advised Department of Finance officials that he had met with Joe Hockey about travel services to the embassy in Washington they indicated their concern about the probity of this and as a result Carstensen made no further effort to correspond with Hockey. For those who don't know the Department of Finance is a central policy agency whose remit includes the expected standard of behavior from public servants (particularly when it comes to spending money).

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

blacksheep
post Posted: Feb 21 2019, 01:53 PM
  Quote Post

Stock got a hammering following recent media coverage involving government ministers - past & present. Getting even more "messy" today - as explained in this article - 'Hockey owes me', Helloworld chief tells his executive as embassy meeting arranged https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/hoc...221-p50zbn.html
Total short position as at 15 February 2019 - 0.32%
https://www.shortman.com.au/stock?q=hlo

extract of HLO's media clarification ann
At no time has Ambassador Hockey or Helloworld CEO Andrew Burnes discussed the DFAT tender and neither
Mr Hockey nor Mr Burnes have had any involvement in the tender process. Mr Burnes did not request the
meeting with DFAT personnel in the United States.

At all times Helloworld and Mr Burnes have acted properly in the tender process

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING