Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

1326 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

VCR, VENTRACOR LIMITED
eBear
post Posted: Dec 15 2015, 11:09 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nutech's post @ Jan 6 2011, 10:18 AM

I alsop wonder what happened to all the "IP" property that was owned by VCR.

Answer:

Approved for use in European Union and Australia. Company declared bankrupt while clinical trials for FDA approval were underway in 2009. Company now dissolved and intellectual property sold to Thoratec.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventricular_assist_device

--------------------
"There is no present or future-only the past, happening over and over again-now"

- Eugene O'Neill

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 7 2015, 12:15 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Mar 7 2015, 10:59 AM

Hi Nipper

An external controller and batteries provide power to the internal device via a percutaneous driveline.

And that system was exactly what Ventracor had problems with. Do hope this new venture has success, but will it be an Australian company ???

Cheers
J

juke
post Posted: Mar 7 2015, 11:16 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 7 2015, 10:19 AM

Thanks for keeping up the interest. The wilful disintegration of VCR was one of the most disgraceful chapters in Australian company history.

I thought that getting power across the dermis without wires was just the next step in the exciting product development, and that they were working on it at the time. Magnetic induction seems to be an obvious technique (flat coil under the skin), with some possible risk of localised heating (even if only at about 50 watts). I haven’t kept up with what other LVAD makers are now doing.

What can one say with some rue: It’s great that others can still build up on the R&D knowledge that VCR developed!

Juke

nipper
post Posted: Mar 7 2015, 10:59 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 7 2015, 10:19 AM

I read that article - sounds very gee-whizz

http://www.bivacor.com/

The dedicated hydraulic design of the impellers, combined with state-of-the-art magnetic levitation (MAGLEV) technology, permits control of the circulation to be fine-tuned by means of a differential fluid output.

An external controller and batteries provide power to the internal device via a percutaneous driveline.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 7 2015, 10:19 AM
  Quote Post

I know that Ventracor is long dead (sadly), but there's an in-depth article in today's Weekend Australian Magazine about an artificial heart developed by Daniel Timms, in Brisbane. The interesting part is that there's nothing to wear out, just one moving part. Sound familiar? And the " pump" is magnetically suspended ...... also sound familiar ??

The interesting part, apart from copyright , will be how the power is supplied, which eventually became the Achilles tendon of the Ventracor device. This one also seems to be a complete artificial heart, not just a left ventricle assist device, so it has huge potential.
Another thing the BiVACOR does rather cleverly, is shift along its axis of rotation so that whichever side it shifts to becomes more efficient, balancing systemic blood flow.
So it's very clever ........

But just how is it powered ????

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Hornblower  juke  

nutech
post Posted: Jan 6 2011, 10:18 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Clocker's post @ Jan 6 2011, 09:58 AM

Hi All burnt by the VCR colapse.

Interesting snipit was on TV recently about the development of the LVAD by one of the chief's developers from VCA device. Seems that their was an ulterior motive for some persons not assisting the "Save VCR Team" by kicking in and mounting the buy-out by shareholders. As the program was all about the n
"new development" of the new LVAD using our "IP" developed by VCR and paid dearly by all us Shareholders.
I alsop wonder what happened to all the "IP" property that was owned by VCR. Has anyone been able to find and news as to the owners now and did it stay in AU or go to USA. If sole how much was paid and who purchased.

I still have not got over the way this was handled and especially when RUDD has the ordacity to say, when ousted, that he has done lots to help the medical system because of family history of problems. What a bloody joke???? I and many others pleaded for assistance but were simply fobed off as usual by politicians.

Cheers for New Year,

Said 'Thanks' for this post: troutfisho  

Clocker
post Posted: Jan 6 2011, 09:58 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jan 6 2011, 08:09 AM

Love the 2nd last paragraph. "The bottom line is the sicker you are, the higher on the list you are."

Cheney is definitely sick, and I am surprised they found a heart (functioning or otherwise) in him at all.

--------------------
Cheers

The Clocker

Win some, lose some. Such is life.

moosey
post Posted: Jan 6 2011, 08:09 AM
  Quote Post

<h1 class="heading">Ex-US Vice President Dick Cheney is fine, he just has no pulse </h1>
  • By Colleen Cappon of FoxNews.com
  • January 06, 2011 8:59AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-...x-1225982790549

FORMER Vice President Dick Cheney has been showing his newly slender physique around Washington, DC a lot more since Christmas, and it now appears he's back in the spotlight from his self-appointed leave of absence from politics.

But a long history of heart attacks has left many wondering just how long he will be back before needing another major procedure.

In July of last year, Mr Cheney had a partially artificial heart, know as a left ventricular assist device (LVAD), implanted in his chest in order to help push blood through his body continuously, mimicking a fully functioning heart. It is a risky procedure, and normally done as a last resort to keep the patient functioning close to normal until they can receive a heart transplant.

Although the device leaves Mr Cheney without a pulse, it is designed to allow a patient in considerably good health otherwise, to do everything from driving to even light exercise. Patients need to take an anticoagulant to prevent blood clots, and have regular blood tests.

The type of artificial heart Mr Cheney received last northern summer is unknown, but Dr Kathy Magliato, a cardiothoracic surgeon and director of women's cardiac services at Saint John's Health Centre in Santa Monica, California, and author of HEART MATTERS: A Memoir of a Female Heart Surgeon told FoxNews.com that LVADs can be both temporary and permanent."They are subject to mechanical failure and can wear like a car. The device may need to be changed out. Some need a new one in two years, others in five years. He could have it for several years," she said. "If it shows signs of wear, it can be replaced with another device indefinitely until the patient dies from some other cause."

Dr Magliato, who has specialty training in heart transplantation, lung transplantation and ventricular assist devices at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania, said there are three reasons patients like Mr Cheney receive an assist device.

The first is to stabilise them while they wait on the transplant list, which is referred to as a "bridge to transplant".

Another possibility is to keep the LVAD in - to live with it indefinitely. And lastly, the heart may have the ability to stabilise and recover with an LVAD, which is then removed and the patient is able to live with their native heart.

At 69 years old, many would assume that Mr Cheney's chances to qualify for a heart transplant are growing slim, but Dr Magliato said that is simply not the case.

"His age may be 69 but we talk about physiological age. There are transplant centres who will definitely consider a 69 year old," she said. "There is no national cut off age for heart transplants; it depends on the transplant centre. Some have abolished a cut off age and will consider every patient on a case by case basis."

Dr Magliato, who has not treated Mr Cheney, said his risks are similar to the basic risks of any patient, including bleeding, stroke, infection, rejection, and organ dysfunction, when other organs have problems after the transplant depending on various elements.

According to data from the United Network for Organ Sharing, the survival rate for a heart transplant on a patient over the age of 65 after one year is 84 percent. Dr Magliato stressed that the prognosis for these patients is quite good considering their chances of survival without the transplant.

"In order to even get on transplant list, you have to be facing imminent death in the next six months," Dr Magliato said.

The latest heart transplant list data shows 3169 people waiting in US to receive a transplant. Dr Magliato said on average doctors in the US perform 2200 heart transplants a year, creating an obvious supply and demand issue.

She also emphasised that the heart transplant list is determined by the status and severity of disease in a patient, and Dr Cheney's position will not play a role.

"You don’t get on the list by buying your way on. People think somehow wealth plays a role, and that is absolutely not true, nor does socioeconomic status," she said. "The bottom line is the sicker you are, the higher on the list you are."

About five million Americans have congestive heart failure. Dr Cheney has dealt with heart problems for much of his adult life, suffering five heart attacks since age 37.

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

F-W
post Posted: Aug 3 2010, 07:38 PM
  Quote Post

Brisbane Times, Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:21 AM PDT
Nosworthy front and forthright

THREE years ago, she was one of the most senior female company directors in Australia with seats on the boards of Babcock & Brown, Commander Communications and Ventracor. Yesterday, Elizabeth Nosworthy fronted a liquidators hearing into the $3 billion collapse of B&B and was asked her occupation: ''Retired''. It wasn't by choice.

At : : http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/n...0802-113d7.html

--------------------
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for
people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
-Noam Chomsky

10fingers
post Posted: Jun 24 2010, 09:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: veeone's post @ Jun 24 2010, 12:34 PM

I wonder what the Yanks know about going bankrupt!!!

--------------------
10fingers (Actually have 8 fingers & two thumbs) Just in case you are interested.

1326 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING