Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

18 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Climate, Earth's Climate
henrietta
post Posted: Mar 21 2021, 02:15 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Mar 21 2021, 01:57 PM

The only way to go! The Toowoomba bypass is magic.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

nipper
post Posted: Mar 21 2021, 01:57 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 21 2021, 12:02 PM

my brother at Tweed Heads is enjoying the absence of B-doubles on the highway, as the Pacific Motorway is blocked in several places further south. They must all be going via Toowoomba and the inland route.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Mar 21 2021, 12:39 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 21 2021, 12:02 PM

probably cause sea levels to rise, too

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 21 2021, 12:02 PM
  Quote Post

Shouldn’t have sold our canoe!!

Glug glug from Southport.

Cheers
J

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 5 2021, 12:45 PM
  Quote Post

From Nikki Asia
OSAKA -- Panasonic will withdraw from solar cells and panel production, Nikkei has learned, as the former leading maker now faces fierce competition from Chinese rivals that can produce the items at a lower cost.

Panasonic will quit manufacturing as early as March 2022 at factories in Malaysia and Japan's Shimane Prefecture. The move marks a complete exit from the solar manufacturing business after the Osaka-based company scrapped a partnership with Tesla that produced solar cells last year.

Panasonic will procure solar panels from other manufacturers to stay in the power industry through such businesses as installing generation systems for residential use.

According to the International Energy Agency, the amount of new solar power generation this year is expected to reach 117 million kilowatts, up 10% from the previous year. Due to the increased production by Chinese manufactures, the price of solar panels has fallen to about a third of 2012 prices.

The lower prices from Chinese rivals forced Japanese manufacturing out of production. Panasonic's solar cell and panel business has been in the red.

The takeover by China of all things tech continues.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 19 2021, 12:58 PM
  Quote Post

One of Joe Bidens first steps that he promises to do is to get teh USA back inti the global climate accord to reduce CO2 emissions.
In some ways this is a bit symbolic, as the the US put out about 4% less CO2 over the past 4 years, despite a slight increase in population.
The best estimate I could find was that the US is now responsible for about 14% of global Co2 emissions.
Much will be made of this return to the fold but in the "developing Nation" of China, which last year was estimated to have produced some 27% of global Co2 emissions, not much progress has been made.
In fact, according to NASDQ
China's coal output rose last year to its highest since 2015, despite Beijing's climate change pledge to reduce consumption of the dirty fossil fuel and months of disruption at major coal mining hubs.

The world's biggest coal miner and consumer produced 3.84 billion tonnes of coal in 2020, data from the National Bureau of Statistics showed on Monday.

China's coal output dropped after reaching a peak of 3.97 billion tonnes in 2013, as Beijing axed excessive mining capacity and promoted clean energy consumption. But production is rising amid surging industrial demand and an unofficial restriction on coal imports aimed at shoring up the domestic mining industry.

For December alone, coal output was 351.89 million tonnes, up 3.2% from the same month last year, and up from 347.27 million tonnes in November.

Once again, the climate emergency folk are deathly quiet.
Where is climate extinction?
No marches, no people gluing themselves to Beijing's roadways.
no street Theatre, no demands that banks stop lending to Chinese companies, no activist stock exchange imvestors demanding changes.
No condemnation from the 8 billion UN agencies who make it their business to condemn these things.
Total silence.

Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 17 2021, 04:31 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 17 2021, 02:38 PM

meantime, KIMI has sprung to life off FNQ, likely to hit land tomorrow. Cat 1, likely upgrade to a 2,

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-17/bom-...nd-hit/13065080

'Tis the season to be jolly (well surprised)

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 17 2021, 03:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 17 2021, 02:38 PM

It's all about trying to convince people that the weather/climate people know what they are talking about. Two months after the dire cyclone prediction, who's gonna remember ?
Meanwhile, the fear thing has done its work.

Cheers
J

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 17 2021, 02:38 PM
  Quote Post

I have lived in the tropics both here in OZ and in the Pacific for a few years of my working life, and been unfortunate enough to have been through three cyclones of varying intensity over the years.
Last year, This Article from ABC news made me sit up and take notice.
Cyclones have been notoriously hard to predict over decades, but a new scientific model could prove to be a circuit-breaker, particularly in the cyclone-battered Pacific.
Cyclone modelling has traditionally been difficult due to complex interactions between the sea and atmosphere
A new Australia-New Zealand forecast model now synthesizes these interactions simultaneously
This could strengthen the Pacific's preparedness for its annual cyclone season
The University of Newcastle, in collaboration with New Zealand's National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research, has released a new predictive tool call Long-Range Tropical Cyclone Outlook for the Southwest Pacific (TCO-SP), which can forecast cyclones up to four months in advance.

Current modelling only produces forecasts one month in advance, while actual cyclone paths may not necessarily follow predicted paths.

At the time of reading, I was a little sceptical, especially the last bit about modelling can only produce forecasts one month in advance. The reason for my scepticism was that I cannot recall the BOM predicting any cyclones a month in advance, it was highly unusual to get even a weeks notice
much less a month. I thought that four months was pushing it up hill a bit.

We have had two cyclones this season , neither was predicted to occur within a week of their forming. Indeed in the case of tropical cyclone Kimi, it seemed to pop up out of nowhere with no warning. There was no mention of a tropical low even forming. The monsoon trough hanging over northern Australia has a good chance of producing another one next week of the northern coast of WA. But not a word from these new found models.

Once again, the press releases seem to be of more import than the actual science.

Mick

--------------------

joules mm1
post Posted: Dec 22 2020, 01:36 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Dec 22 2020, 01:20 PM

lazy science and an immediacy of (rush-to) conclusions sets back the work of scientists who work on the challenge
oh, yeah .....and this:

https://grist.org/energy/trump-energy-depar...ewable-studies/

--------------------
. . . . . . . . everything has an art.....in the instance of the auction process, the only thing, needed to be listened to; price

18 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING