Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

190 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
early birds
post Posted: Yesterday, 12:54 PM
  Quote Post

https://www.afr.com/wealth/personal-finance...20200814-p55lny

A reasonable proposition might be to suggest that in the modern history of humanity, asset prices have never been more distorted or removed from fundamental assessments of fair value.

It should be now well understood that we have shifted quite radically from the freely functioning markets that characterised the proliferation of open democracies and capitalism in the period after the Second World War to a radical new regime.

==================

i guess this article is take the words out of a lot of people's mouth, including me!!
what we can do??? we are no body!!!! sadsmiley02.gif

Pendragon
post Posted: Aug 13 2020, 07:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 13 2020, 10:55 AM

Mullokintyre,

It is happening already - and has been for some time.

Students accepted to go to university are dumber and courses are easier.
How can 50% be a pass mark for anatomy??
Starts at High school. We used to be in the top 10 but have dropped below 30 and dropping. OECD

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 13 2020, 10:55 AM
  Quote Post

The las of unintended consequences.
FROM The OZ
University students who fail more than half of their first-year subjects will lose government funding, as part of the Morrison government’s radical overhaul of higher education fees.
The Job Ready Graduates reforms – which are already under threat from Nationals MPs who want major changes – would see students lose their HECS-HELP support if they fail more than 50 per cent of their first eight university units.

Education Minister Dan Tehan said the new cap on HELP subsidies would ensure universities determine how academically suitable a student is throughout their degree, and not just after they leave Year 12.“We have found cases where students with the highest levels of debt have been

continuously enrolled at multiple providers at the same time, resulting in debts ranging from

$220,000 up to $660,000 combined with very low pass rates – on average these students

have passed just one in every five subjects they have attempted.”

I am going to bet that the University response will be is to dumb down the courses and exams so everyone will pass.
Is that what Tehan had in mind??

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rlane  

draughtsman
post Posted: Aug 13 2020, 10:53 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 13 2020, 07:54 AM

What is the process that employs functional illiterates?

Government cuts to funding

--------------------
draughtsman

You don't know what you don't know

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 13 2020, 07:54 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 13 2020, 07:35 AM

On our ABC everything to do with the weather is a CATASTROPHE !!!!!

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

nipper
post Posted: Aug 13 2020, 07:35 AM
  Quote Post

Oh I wish I was on night shift

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-13/w...-warns/12550808

The headline states.
Warragamba Dam — Sydney's main water source — close to breaking point as other dams spill over

- it may be changed but that was the entry for the ABC online lead article.

What is the process that employs functional illiterates?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Featured Stock Stories

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 12 2020, 12:01 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 12 2020, 11:39 AM

Sounds good, though you will have to set up a rival organisation to Go Fund me.
They can be a little arbitrary in their choices as to who is allowed to use their site.
Perhaps that might be the secret,
Instead of getting people to donate to your cause, be the medium to allow others to donate, and just skim 10% off the top for "Administrative Purposes:" just like go fund me.
And then you can copy their rule that says if the target amount is not reached, the entiity runnng the show gets to keep all the money with no refunds.
Mick

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 12 2020, 11:39 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 12 2020, 11:28 AM

Everyone is getting in on the go- fund me type scam. Just another way to fleece the unwary and gullible.
Might try it myself ....... how does “ Please help me to fund a very comfortable retirement for myself and my worthy wife. We are desperate and have no other way to live in luxury which we deserve, Please,please help us!! Send money to .......... God bless you all.”
What do you reckon?

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 12 2020, 11:28 AM
  Quote Post

Was reading something about New Zealand four new cases in "The Guardian Australia.
it didn't provide me with anything new, but what did take my eye was a notice at the bottom of the page.

Every contribution, however big or small, is so valuable for our future. Support the Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

You can click onto a page that has e-commerce failities to make a contribution to the Gaurdian with these words
Support our journalism with a contribution of any size
Your support helps protect the Guardian’s independence and it means we can keep delivering quality journalism that’s open for everyone around the world. Every contribution, however big or small, is so valuable for our future.

Make a contribution
How often would you like to contribute?
Frequency

Single

Monthly

Annual
How much would you like to give?
Amount

$10

$25

$50

Other
Contributing $25 works out as $5.77 each week

Your details
Email address
example@domain.com
First name

I find this really quite surprising. Why would a commercial organisation seek to get donations.
I checked the ownership of The Gaurdian Australia.
The Guardian Australia is owned by Guardian News and Media (GNM).
GNM is owned by Guardian Media Group (GMG), which is in turn owned by the Scott Trust Limited, a limited company which according to its blurbs, aims to ensure the editorial independence of its publications and websites.
But Scott Trust limited is not a trust, it is a limited liability company. it is not a charitable trust as I first thought.
Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 12 2020, 09:50 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Aug 12 2020, 08:38 AM

As I have said in the past, I have have genrally regarded the POTUS as a figurehead.The establishment power brokers are the ones who really control what happens in the US.
The various govt heads, spokespersons etc, are mere useful tools for the elites in the us to fashion things to their liking.
The only thing I can take from this is that Ms Harris is most likely to become the first female president, and the first black female president as well.
I would be surprised if Joe Biden lasts one full term before the geriatric diseases he obviously has will cause him to be removed.
Stephen Looseley in the mornings OZ has an article that suggests that trump will not contest the election.
Seems a little far fetched, but with an ego the size of his, the thought of losing to a geriatric has been would destroy him.
It would not surprise me to see Trump pull out.
Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

190 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING