Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

935 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 > »    

Reply to this topic

BLT, BENITEC BIOPHARMA LIMITED
Enumerate
post Posted: Nov 8 2006, 08:16 AM
  Quote Post

Welcome Daggie - I am still of the opinion that BLT.ASX is a long term hold and my main reasons for this opinion are that I think the value of the patent estate has the potential to eclispe the current value defined by the therapeutics. Hence, I would pay very close attention to what Theadder has to say ...

I'd encourage you, strongly, to get to grips with the technology. This might seem ambitious - but there are a large number of wonderful information sources. The more you know and the more you can apply your own critical reasoning/judgement - the better off all of us will be - if you post your thoughts biggrin.gif

In terms of information sources:

There is an excellent extract from a PBS documentary on RNAi at the following site:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3210/02.html

Nature has an excellent animation of all the core RNAi processes:

http://www.nature.com/focus/rnai/animations/index.html

5 molecules that will change the world:

http://www.forbes.com/2003/07/01/cx_mh_moleculeslide.html

There is a very good survey of the general biology at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?...cb.TOC&depth=10

I am no IP lawyer. Decided to lookup patents recorded by IP Australia for Benitec:

2001240375 Genetic silencing 16Mar01
2004243347 Double-stranded nucleic acid 3Jun04
2002325649 Methods for quantifying nuclear run-on transcriptional assays 30Aug02
2003258367 Method for gene silencing in transgenic animals 9Sep03
2001100608 Control of gene expression 30Nov01
2005209648 Control of gene expression 9Sep05
2005211538 Control of Gene Expression 15Sep05

--------------------
Do not consider my postings as investment advice. I am here to share research and to speculate on what might be. The boundary between fact and conjecture might not always be clear - best to treat all comments as speculation.

plastic
post Posted: Nov 8 2006, 07:56 AM
  Quote Post

Welcome aboard Daggie and thank you for those kind comments. IMHO you have purchased well.

I think the key to this one is a bit of patience. Lets say three years. You might just find it will be the biotech equivalent of Paladium. Which unfortunately, I wasn't in on.

Looks like another bullish day today. I'm picking a break to about 14c then a pull back to test those lows and highs of 8-10c.

--------------------
What did Uncle Mel do to us?

daggie
post Posted: Nov 7 2006, 03:52 PM
  Quote Post

Hi you clever guys - Plastic and Enum...
i read your discussion about Benitec and was impressed how much you know and how you analyze the company. You certainly understand and obviously know what you are doing.
Well I don't understand the company, only was impressed to read an article in the AGE; my partner met a stockbroker a year ago in the pub and he told him "watch Benitec" it will make waves. I had forgotten all about it, only the article in the Age and stockbroker's tip made me buying benitec shares yesterday. Well i know this is not the recommended way of buying a stock, but since I don't bet on gigis, I decided to bet on the company.
Hopefully it will do OK. Will follow more than ever your discussions now that "I am on board". Regards Daggie

Enumerate
post Posted: Nov 7 2006, 12:47 PM
  Quote Post

Nicely put ...

--------------------
Do not consider my postings as investment advice. I am here to share research and to speculate on what might be. The boundary between fact and conjecture might not always be clear - best to treat all comments as speculation.

plastic
post Posted: Nov 7 2006, 11:53 AM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (theadder @ Tuesday 07/11/06 08:18am)

THe thing with these kind of commentators is that they have to hedge themselves with disclaimers. They after all have a reputation to protect. A bit like "professional" analysts looking after their over paid jobs and employer's reputation. And there is nothing wrong with that either. In forums like this, commentators have the freedom that anonyminity allows to speak more freely.

Sometimes the disclaimer can come in the form of watered down recommendations. That seems to be the case here.

Speculative buy probably means back up the truck fellas and sell on the break out, when he's at the pub but publicly when wearing the face of probity and professionalism it means speculative buy, so you can't blame me if falls flat after the break out.

Still I hope he is following this thread. He will do well to I imagine. For one, he is wrong in saying the Merck - Sirna deal was the catalyst. The burst to 10c and back was before that was announced.

I think it was from some very smart money getting in and Adam Smith's invisible hand belonging to an invisible and unknown owner evicting some unwanted occupants on the registry.

Still, 30% in a couple of days can't be all bad I guess. smile.gif

--------------------

theadder
post Posted: Nov 7 2006, 08:18 AM
  Quote Post

In With A Chance

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...7-23634,00.html

Benitec (BLT) $0.07

TAKING one of his semi-regular jaunts down Penny (dreadful) Lane, Criterion couldn't help notice this struggling biotech's dramatic share price spurt.

Benitec sprinted to a high of 7.9c on October 31 from 2c on October 24, when the stock was reinstated after being suspended for three weeks for failing to lodge full-year accounts.

Queried by the bourse, Benitec attributed the share surge to its "recovery plan and the response from shareholders". The company's December (first) half loss is expected to reduce to $1.5 million from the 2005-06 full-year loss of $7.67 million.

The more likely catalyst was the news that tiny US company Sirna Therapeutics which also dabbles in Benitec's domain of gene silencing had been acquired by Merck for $US1.1 billion ($1.4 billion) in cash.

Punters assume that Benitec would also be of interest to Big Pharma, given its central role in applying the technology discovered back in 1998 to therapeutic purposes.

Benitec holds a number of patents relating to gene silencing, which is a way of switching off nasty genes that can even cause cancer.

Benitec's form of gene silencing has been shown to work on diseased pineapples and mice, but in terms of human trials it's all at an early stage. That's about the extent of our understanding, we're afraid.

Benitec is still awash with red ink, but the gene silencing technology company seems to be getting its act together.

Benitec's recent history is a none too salutory tale of contract disputes and ballooning expenses. Closing the US operations resulted in the 2004-05 loss of $14 million being trimmed back to $7.6 million in 2005-06.

Since then Benitec has received a $1 million injection from a major investor and has converted $440,000 million of debt into equity. There's also been a management cleanout and a redefining of a collaborative link with the CSIRO.

Criterion rates Benitec as a SPECULATIVE BUY, but of course investors should seek to understand the company before they plunge in.

In his esteemed organ Bioshares, biotech watcher David Blake notes that the Merck-Sirna deal is one of several big recent transactions globally.

"The broad implication for Australian biotech companies is an increasingly positive sentiment to biotech stocks in the US," he says. "The Nasdaq Biotech Index is up 9.3 per cent since the end of June this year."

plastic
post Posted: Nov 6 2006, 04:37 PM
  Quote Post

Plastic, you will probably understand that there are now some potentially very embarassed people in the Citi tongue.gif   

Oh! You must mean that one who controls Sharetrader.co.nz. Capitalist. Yeah. Thats right. I remember someone, GB or Donner I think, saying she worked for them or something. I always thought she was shameless. Can't imagine her being embarassed. graduated.gif

I'd better be careful. I might be found guilty of indulging in a bit of epicaricacy. biggrin.gif And thats just not cricket.

--------------------

plastic
post Posted: Nov 6 2006, 11:56 AM
  Quote Post

These are the comments of Fire from Enumerates link.

But Nobel winner Fire recently said there are several significant scientific hurdles to overcome before the technology can be turned into drugs, including figuring out how to ensure the drug reaches its intended target while leaving healthy cells unharmed.

Sounds like he sees the problem with RNAi as being effective delivery without toxicity.

I think whoever solves this problem will be on to a major big time winner.

--------------------

Enumerate
post Posted: Nov 6 2006, 09:54 AM
  Quote Post

Welcome! There is also the GEN.ASX thread - GEN.NZX is dual listed.

Apart from BioJoule, GEN.NZX is now an RNAi player.

It is now clear that the information in the link you posted will have a fundamental effect on the valuation of both companies!

Here is BigBob's link - some nice commentary beyond reporting on "the deal":

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061030/merck_sirna.html?.v=5

(Sorry, should have posted a reference to it, before).

Here, also, is some background to treatment for macular degeneration, Sirna's flagship therapeutic:

http://www.forbes.com/global/2006/1113/102...artner=yahoomag

--------------------

Guest_BigBob_*
post Posted: Nov 6 2006, 09:43 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Enumerate on Monday 06/11/06 09:26am

Hi Enumerate,

I was the one who posted on the Merck deal on sharetrader and thanks indeed for pointing me in this direction...

I haven't yet had a chance to start digesting what's here, but it certainly appears that the discussion is somewhat more informed here than on sharetrader... ohmy.gif)

Thanks again

935 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING