Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

Closed Topic

French MPs vote to ban head scarves, What do Australians think about this?
tom924
post Posted: Feb 12 2004, 04:00 AM
  Quote Post

Hi, for starters let me state that are many places to discuss topics such as this(coffee topic as well) & I for one am dissapointed that the asxboard is veering away from stock related topics. HOWEVER, France is a democratic country & it's people have spoken. When minorities are allowed to dictate the rules they soon become the people with real power.

Try this for an experiment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,go to your local post office & see what they deem to be an acceptable passport photo. Mr/Mrs Joe Bloggs anglo/saxon, buddhist, hare krishna, hindu, jew, african, etc, etc have to have a photo that clearly shows their face & hair. Even glasses that are large ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!!!Mr's Muslim(or pretend muslim) are exempt from this. Why????? Because they are above our laws????No, they are not above Australia's law's. We changed our laws to suit their lifestyle. Do they really need to show their face? Of course not, we can trust them more than everybody else. Who ever heard of a muslim woman doing anything wrong!!Besides the odd suicide bombing.

Oavde Posted on Thu 12/02/04 12:25am
"The strange thing is, apparently in France, a lot of Muslim / Jewish etc.. leaders AGREED with the ban - I find that quite odd, I don't know if France is somehow different to [every other country] but they seem to think it is a good idea. Even though a lot of people were protesting, the leaders (of each religion / community group) seemed to agree it was a good idea to ban these things."

Strange??????No. A lot of muslim leaders agreed(the fact you added jews in the discussion shows total lack of understanding on the topic)because they came to France to start a new life. There are plenty of countries in the world where the headgear(sorry not the politically correct term) is mandatory. These women know these countries. I am sure they would be welcome back with open arms.

The_Muns Posted on Thu 12/02/04 01:14am
"Why certain opinions are calling for holy war, I don't understand."

Yes, you don't understand & that is why you say,
"I don't agree witha ban"
Yes the ban is bad because it could start a holy war. Wait a minute you say but i'm not even holy!!!!!Yes give them what they want & everything will be okay smile.gif

Anyways, Blackbook started off with an intelligent post. People, being people, had something to say whether they knew much about the fundamentals or not.

Again let me stress "I believe" this site would be better off without such "explosive" topics. If I want to state my political views I know there are lots of other place to do it. I do not want Asxboard to be one of them.

Regards,
Tom.

--------------------
Do your own research

The_Muns
post Posted: Feb 12 2004, 01:14 AM
  Quote Post

I don't agree witha ban. Things will go under ground and become secular.

If they wear it with pride, let them where it. The next generation will relax as they get more wise to the culture with the majority of civilians.

Why certain opinions are calling for holy war, I don't understand. Their populations are rising. especially with the birth rate of other countries, that are to low to uphold there populations and in a strange way encouraging it.
If they had a world demoncratic body and we all believe in that demoncratic process, then they are just being impatience.

The last time people started lossing their freedom to do as they pleased within certain rules of law.(I don't believe in Anarchy) There was a lot more trouble than not just wearing your cap, headscarve, black jeans or cowboy boots.
Hey if the goverment said you couldn't wear any thing, would you do it.

Just reinforces certain views, of being down-trodden and fuels the opinions of our elected and unelected leaders.

Enough of my ranting, I could be here all night. Hope its coherant smile.gif

I personally have no views and feel everybody has the right to wear and do as they will with in limits I feel happy with. I am GOD tongue.gif

--------------------
The_Muns

People who follow me are bigger fools than I.

Oavde
post Posted: Feb 12 2004, 12:25 AM
  Quote Post

IN REPLY TO A POST BY blackbook, Wed 11/02/04 01:47pm   [READ POST]

I think it is a stupid idea, if anything, people should be more able to do what they want / believe in, not less. If someone wants to wear a headscarf or tie a chicken around their neck so be it.

The strange thing is, apparently in France, a lot of Muslim / Jewish etc.. leaders AGREED with the ban - I find that quite odd, I don't know if France is somehow different to [every other country] but they seem to think it is a good idea. Even though a lot of people were protesting, the leaders (of each religion / community group) seemed to agree it was a good idea to ban these things.

If anyone has more info on this aspect (the only interesting aspect of the whole debate - WHY were they agreeing?) then please post it here.

blackbook I certainly think it would do nothing to reduce problems. All that would happen is that the kids would be extra-defiant after school (the defiant kids that is, the trouble makers, if there are indeed any to start with). And you can't impose it on the community in general. Well you can, but they've tried that in the past, and every country that did so was crap.

one fat lady
post Posted: Feb 11 2004, 07:25 PM
  Quote Post

we don't have the same issues in Aust, so if women want to cover up their beautiful faces, let them, plenty of gorgeous aussie girls flashing their boobs around, just go the beach on the week end and you'll get a sore neck just perving, long live Aust I say

mminion
post Posted: Feb 11 2004, 07:10 PM
  Quote Post

While I don't agree on standardisation I can see "why" the French did this (in today's current environment)

I prefer government to "force" people to travel outside their home country... therefore learning about other cultures.

The world is a amazing place.

--------------------
Don't stall a plane

Foghornleghorn
post Posted: Feb 11 2004, 05:45 PM
  Quote Post

This topic will most certainly test this marvellous site.

Featured Stock Stories

brickwalls
post Posted: Feb 11 2004, 04:46 PM
  Quote Post

Each to their own, is the Ozzie dictum. While some make note that "immigrants" and factions have been gathering down-under in sync-ghettos, I'm old enough and not a total alcoholic to remember some days & nights Ockerville - Earl's Court in London.

Will all groups be asked to wear tweed & plaid? Will the bikers, rompers & like have to wear slacks & tie? [look-out here come the "Hells Accountants"! lock up your calculators!] I recall a notice on my one of my early places of work that anyone wearing Widgies and Bodgie gear would be sent home to change and be docked pay. Hell no stove-pipe jeans what was the world coming to?

May be all netballers, cricketers, & footy players will have to all wear the same kit [no wait, hey maybe all cricketers are already in the secret white shirt gang - gotta suspect that Warney]. A game of footy with all the players in the same kit - that would be a special.

Unfortunately, there has been, is, and will be, the inevitable incident sparked by the less tolerant - that's human nature if someone is not the same - their not the same. [Now we're all tolerant here on asx - not like them ruddy numbsculls on HC]

blackbook
post Posted: Feb 11 2004, 01:47 PM
  Quote Post

With more and more racial problems happening in Australia perhaps such a ban is not so silly after all. I see school kids now with the head scarves and others with the skull caps etc. If the parents was to make a statement perhaps it's in the governments interest to make all kids equal and let them make their own choice when they leave school into what they can and can't wear. There are too many parents out there that are fanatics and perhaps if the government bans such clothing it will go a long way into reducing racial divides. Remember, all school kids will one day become adults.

Here is the article.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/11/1076388393417.html

Anyone for or against this in Australia?

Back To Top Of Page
Closed Topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING