Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

17 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

ARW, AUSTRALIAN RENEWABLE FUELS LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Aug 29 2016, 09:34 AM
  Quote Post

Alex Waislitz uses ARW shell for tech float

Billionaire Melbourne investor Alex Waislitz plans to use the shell of a failed biodiesel company to launch a new technology fund that will be listed on the Australian Securities Exchange and backed by some of the richest people in the nation.

Earlier this year bio­diesel company Australian Re­newable Fuels went into voluntary administration as a result of the slumping global oil price and changes in the federal government's taxation policy for domestically produced biodiesel.

Mr Waislitz's Thorney Opportunities Group held a 26.9 per cent stake in the biodiesel company. Thorney has subsequently purchased the shell of ARW and plans to lead a recapitalisation of the group, which will be renamed Thorney Technologies.

Thorney did the same almost three years ago when it backed a recapitalisation plan for the listed cashbox Wentworth Holdings, which was rebranded as Thorney Opportunities (TOP)

Thorney Technologies, which will be marketed to high net worth investors this week by Bell Potter principal Hugh Robertson, is seeking to raise at least $30 million. At least a quarter of those funds will be provided by Mr Waislitz's private Thorney Investments Group. It is expected to be relisted on the ASX no later than October.

The new company will invest in venture capital and pre-IPO firms, through to established companies that have a technology focus in Australia, the US, Israel and elsewhere.

ARW shareholders will get priority allocation in the raising, as will shareholders of Thorney Opportunities.

Mr Waislitz declined to comment on the ARW recapitalisation plan, but has previously spoken of his desire to establish a technology fund.

"We think we have a very good deal flow and experience to put a pool of capital to work, which Thorney will obviously co-invest with and manage,'' he said late last year.

It comes as Square Peg, the technology venture-capital firm backed by James Packer, Seek co-founder Paul Bassat and the billionaire Liberman family, is planning to plough up to $100 million a year into new investments in Israel and the US.

Already Thorney has itself ­invested several million dollars on half a dozen tech plays in Israel, including stakes in crowd-funding, marketing diagnostics and gaming companies.

Late last year Thorney Investment Group revealed plans to invest up to $15 million in a strategic alliance with Israeli early-stage technology investment platform iAngels, which is backed by a host of international high net worth players, including Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich.

Thorney Technologies is expected to undertake some investments with iAngels and potentially a US based venture capital fund. IAngels is an investment platform that sources investment ­opportunities focused on elite ­Israeli start-ups and early stage companies. Its 27 investments so far have included softwear company Nanorep, medical records app group Hello Doctor, and photo-management start-up Myroll.

The platform's key point of differentiation is that it allows private investors to gain access to exclusive early-stage opportunities by collaborating and co-­investing with some of Israel's leading and most respected angel and venture capital investors.

Thorney's investment included a direct equity stake in iAngels, guarantees to invest directly in some of iAngels' start-up ventures and underwriting guarantees up to a value of $15m. Investors expected to be approached include Fairfax Media chairman Ron Walker and former Macquarie Group chief executive Allan Moss.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/c...720623079c53694

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

arty
post Posted: May 10 2011, 12:26 PM
  Quote Post

The slump of crude prices took a toll on ARW as well. And then there is the Budget with all its unknowns...
However, the rebounding poo and a subtle refocus on "green" energy appear to have put a floor under ARW's sp.

Volume is still low, but that must be expected mere hours before the Budget being announced.
I've "bought the rumour". (Speccie Rules of course.)

Attached Image

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: crooky  

veeone
post Posted: Apr 27 2011, 12:26 PM
  Quote Post

UBS taken a 7.5% holding!! Hmmmmm.............V1

Said 'Thanks' for this post: crooky  

crooky
post Posted: Apr 21 2011, 03:19 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Apr 13 2011, 01:02 PM

Hi arty,

in for a dabble at 2.3 , took some time to get hit , hoping it's just a case of traders not wanting to hold over the easter break.

arty
post Posted: Apr 13 2011, 01:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Apr 7 2011, 11:47 AM

Something is stirring today - next stop 2.9c?

Attached Image

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

arty
post Posted: Apr 7 2011, 11:47 AM
  Quote Post

The Bearishness seems to have been overcome at last - provided we can hold 2.2c.
Maybe the recent announcement of increased capacity will take some time to filter through?
For now, I continue to hold both ARW and ARWO.

Attached Image

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

veeone
post Posted: Apr 1 2011, 02:53 PM
  Quote Post

Long time since i dabbled in ARW and not been paying too much attention lately so only just noticed the trading halt announcement regarding acquisition of larger biodiesel operator in the industry with contract signing imminent. Might be interesting! V1

Barra
post Posted: Mar 17 2011, 03:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Mar 17 2011, 01:18 PM

Arty,
I feel today's move could be related to news about Gillard's proposed carbon tax (and the fact that momentarily it looks semi -safe to buy?). They make bio diesel so higher oil prices due to the middle east would be attracting some interest, but I think the big potential catalyst for a re-rate would be the co2 tax given I'm sure Bob Brown will see to it that major concessions are made to carbon neutral fuels. haven't had time to even look at the details of the proposed tax but caught something in passing about the carbon tax on the news and this seems logical.

Must check this one out..good to see the chart stacks up thanks

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

arty
post Posted: Mar 17 2011, 01:18 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Jan 25 2011, 09:07 AM

This is still very much a speccie - but:
With nuclear energy increasingly under a cloud, alternative/ cleaner/ renewable energy forms seem set to step up.
Time to look at some minnows; after all, EXT, PDN, and FMG were all minnows once.

Attached Image

I kept a few - free carried by now - and am trying to top up around 2c. Note the recent turn of MACD: Divergence turned Bullish now.

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Jan 25 2011, 09:07 AM
  Quote Post

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displ...;idsId=01143941

and the Market reaction seems favourable

Attached Image

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: aberline  

17 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING