Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

The Power of Property, securing your future through real estate
nipper
post Posted: Aug 19 2019, 03:28 PM
  Quote Post

Six Warning Signs for a Property Spruiker
.... there were enough warning bells ringing for even these inexperienced investors to hear, and here are six things to look for:

1. The approach came from the spruiker. It always does. It offers a ‘free’ seminar showing how to become a millionaire, entry in a contest to win something flashy, or an interview to learn how to save tax while paying off your home faster.

2. The spruiker tries to convince you that they are the only people who can find the right property for you. Any seasoned property investor knows the way to wealth is to search out bargains for yourself.

3. A building contract is involved, with the rationale that you will save stamp duty, get a new home, and enjoy bigger tax breaks. The real reason? It gives the spruiker a better chance to load the price.

4. They offer a one-stop shop: the lawyer, mortgage broker, builder and managing agent. This allows them to stay in control throughout the process.

5. The properties are usually in outlying suburbs in lower socioeconomic areas. And it is no accident that properties offered are usually in a different state to where you live.

6. There will invariably be a mortgage required over your own home. The last thing the spruiker wants is for you to order a valuation on the overpriced property they are trying to force on you.

https://www.firstlinks.com.au/article/six-w...a7ff15-83781601

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

wren
post Posted: Mar 21 2013, 07:41 PM
  Quote Post

Every now and again we hear that Sydney is the city where anyone with the cash has to live.Not really:the big end of town prefer London,New York and Paris.

News just in........................."Nearly a year and a half after it hit the market for a whopping $160 million, London's One Cornwall Terrace has sold to British property tycoon Marcus Cooper, according to The Sun.

He reportedly paid $120 million for the home, significantly less than its asking price. Even with the discount, it's a record price for a terraced home, The Sun reports.

The 21,500-square-foot mansion, near Regent's Park, is named after King George IV, who was originally the Duke Of Cornwall. It has seven bedrooms, nine bathrooms, and 11 reception rooms.

It was the official London residence of the New Zealand High Commissioner from 1955 until the 1970s, and was later occupied by squatters, according to The Sun.

But it later went a full restoration, and now includes a sports complex with an indoor swimming pool, iPad-controlled lighting, and a 40-meter landscaped garden.

Cooper, founder of Marcus Cooper Group, is a property developer in London whose portfolio includes residential and commercial properties throughout the city."

colaiscute
post Posted: Feb 15 2007, 03:09 PM
  Quote Post

wow.. just finished my copy of Power of Property then.... and it really showed how little I knew about property before I picked up the book. Boy am I glad I did.

I have no intention of using property in my short term investments (maybe managed funds, but not ownership) and reading this book really gave a bit of a heads up into some of the complications.

Dont get me wrong, I loved the book (really easy to read and full of useful exposure to terms and strategies).

From an investment point of view, it covers financing well (in my opinion) and talks frankly about risk and not getting ahead of yourself.

I would say a pretty balanced book, but obviously written by real estate enthusiasts.

Anyone read it recently?

--------------------
colaiscute

rubba81
post Posted: Nov 22 2006, 12:36 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Matt Kirk on Wednesday 22/11/06 09:36am

Thats exactly right Matt Kirk!

Find an investment that "FITS" your personality profile cool.gif

dory
post Posted: Nov 22 2006, 11:59 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Danville on Wednesday 22/11/06 11:52am

HI Danville

yes pbd - i live next door in falcon {the peppie grove of the south }

cheers

Danville
post Posted: Nov 22 2006, 11:59 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Danville on Wednesday 22/11/06 09:52am

ANother thing - For the last two years, the big game in town here has been land speculation in subdivisions. With a $500 deposit you can secure a block of land with a title maybe 3-6 months forward. Just before the settlement date on the block, people are onselling the block at a substantial profit. I have a good friend who does this for a living (while the getting's good). On the last three blocks he made over $150,000 profit less commissions

Danville
post Posted: Nov 22 2006, 11:52 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: jaolsa on Wednesday 22/11/06 09:10am

Property can be like shares in that you can't just buy any old thing and expect it to go up. Timing and location in Real Estate and Timing and sector in stocks.

While the east coast may have peaked years ago, Perth is booming. CNBC this morning mentioned Perth RE up 43% this year. Houses in my neighborhood are up about 65% in the last two years. Land in some areas has tripled in the last two years. The WA economy is growing at an unbelievable pace, leaving China in the dust. The big miners/oilers here in town have stacks of positions they have been unable to fill. All these new people coming into Perth for the resource jobs need a place to live, and the resource sector is paying very well these days, so people have the big bucks to spend, driving prices up further.

Dory, Mandurah is a magical place - even better than Perth.

Have a look at stock code PBD. They develop real estate in Mandurah. Up from $1.60 to $4.80 in the last 12 months.

dory
post Posted: Nov 22 2006, 11:25 AM
  Quote Post

HI

at the the age of 29 i brought 2 costal houses on 1/4 acre blocks in mandurah everyone said i was mad ? now 10 years on and mandurah being the farstest growing city in the world yep the world those same people who sad i was mad are buying in mandurah atm and of course they are paying a lot more than i did ? tongue.gif

i love both and have a passion for both shares and property

cheers

ps i still own the 2 houses and have brought and sold a few during the ten years. iam waiting for deep swerage to come and then i will subdivide ?

jaolsa
post Posted: Nov 22 2006, 11:10 AM
  Quote Post

I started investing in property in the early 1980's (when intrest rates were at their peak, but property where, even compared to today's prices, abolute bargains), and got out at its peak about 4 years ago (though, I must admit, it was pure luck that I timed my entry and exit points so well) with a great profit. Would I do it again. No.

Trading means I only need to rely on my computer and paying attention to the markets......and a major bonus, I don't have to deal with tenants and their problems.

Matt Kirk
post Posted: Nov 22 2006, 09:36 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: rubba81 on Tuesday 21/11/06 09:31pm

It's all about 'FIT' - have you heard that anywhere before!
M cool.gif

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING