Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >   

Reply to this topic

Life, Are we all happy or just ploddling along?
nipper
post Posted: Mar 17 2015, 08:29 PM
  Quote Post

looking for a frivolous place drop this in - Happy Paddy's Day

'Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.'

WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS (1865-1939)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mrbear  wren  grevillia  

bunyip2
post Posted: Apr 8 2009, 04:26 PM
  Quote Post

Me,
I'm Happy just plodding along & fascinated as an ageing retiree watching this material crazy world just roll along. History will record our Era as one of major social & economic change, I was born long before the Dollar & the Pill ! Enjoyed the ride by & large & only regret lost opportunity of not knowing the girls were just as Randy as we were but had a great adolescence any way even by today standards if judged deprived. Economy was dull & probably boreing but being a Great Depression baby that was just what we needed. As a kid during War never dull, & cow boy & Indian movies on Saturday "Arvo's " were great. Survived a bit "Tattered" with Female Liberation & glad to see full circle with marriage & kids comming back into fashion with my Grandkids.
Like many of my generation marriages collapsed as women wanted best of both Worlds & I missed my "Kids" growing up & getting the education & best start in life as my parents willingly struggled financially for me & my brother.
Would'nt have missed the experiance. Won "Jackpot" by being born white in Australia & would not have appreciated Life if it had been to easy. When I meet my "Maker" if there is one I'm gunna say a big thanks. b2.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Livas1  arty  theadder  Alethia  

lexus_sky
post Posted: Apr 8 2009, 11:25 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: theadder's post @ Mar 24 2009, 07:52 PM

Saving is sin, and spending is virtue...

Interesting article written by an Indian Economist

Japanese save a lot. They do not spend much. Also Japan exports far more than it imports. Has an annual trade surplus of over 100 billions. Yet Japanese economy is considered weak, even collapsing.

Americans spend, save little. Also US imports more than it exports. Has an annual trade deficit of over $400 billion. Yet, the American economy is considered strong and trusted to get stronger.

But where from do Americans get money to spend?
They borrow from Japan , China and even India .
Virtually others save for the US to spend. Global savings are mostly invested in US, in dollars.

India itself keeps its foreign currency assets of over $50 billions in US securities. China has sunk over $160 billion in US securities. Japan 's stakes in US securities is in trillions.

Result:

The US has taken over $5 trillion from the world. So, as the world saves for the US , Americans spend freely. Today, to keep the US consumption going, that is for the US economy to work, other countries have to remit $180 billion every quarter, which is $2 billion a day, to the US !

A Chinese economist asked a neat question. Who has invested more, US in China , or China in US? The US has invested in China less than half of what China has invested in US.

The same is the case with India . We have invested in US over $50 billion. But the US has invested less than $20 billion in India .

Why the world is after US?

The secret lies in the American spending, that they hardly save. In fact they use their credit cards to spend their future income. That the US spends is what makes it attractive to export to the US . So US imports more than what it exports year after year.

The result:

The world is dependent on US consumption for its growth. By its deepening culture of consumption, the US has habituated the world to feed on US consumption. But as the US needs money to finance its consumption, the world provides the money.

It's like a shopkeeper providing the money to a customer so that the customer keeps buying from the shop. If the customer will not buy, the shop won't have business, unless the shopkeeper funds him. The US is like the lucky customer. And the world is like the helpless shopkeeper financier.

Who is America 's biggest shopkeeper financier? Japan of course. Yet it's Japan which is regarded as weak. Modern economists complain that Japanese do not spend, so they do not grow. To force the Japanese to spend, the Japanese government exerted itself, reduced the savings rates, even charged the savers.
Even then the Japanese did not spend (habits don't change, even with taxes, do they?). Their traditional postal savings alone is over $1.2 trillions, about three times the Indian GDP. Thus, savings, far from being the strength of Japan , has become its pain.

Hence, what is the lesson?

That is, a nation cannot grow unless the people spend, not save. Not just spend, but borrow and spend.
Dr. Jagdish Bhagwati, the famous Indian-born economist in the US , told Manmohan Singh that Indians wastefully save. Ask them to spend, on imported cars and, seriously, even on cosmetics! This will put India on a growth curve. This is one of the reason for MNC's coming down to India , seeing the consumer spending.

'Saving is sin, and spending is virtue.'

But before you follow this neo economics, get some fools to save so that you can borrow from them and spend!!!

theadder
post Posted: Mar 24 2009, 07:52 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 5 2009, 07:14 PM

"Life
, Are we all happy or just ploddling along?"

No more plodding for SENIORS...that includes the adder..

Senior transport initiative welcomed

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/24/2525117.htm

South Australia's Council of the Ageing has welcomed the decision to give seniors free public transport in off-peak travel times.

The State Government has announced that pensioners and self-funded retirees can travel on the city's buses, trains and trams free of charge from July 1.

The council's chief executive, Ian Yates, says the Government has listened to the council and the measure will help seniors in the tough economic times.

"We welcome this decision which we asked for in our state budget submission this year, this will help seniors maintain our activity in the community and help their budgets at a time when they're struggling, both pensioners and many self-funded retirees," he said.

"Of course, people in the country will be complaining that they are no better off."

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 5 2009, 07:14 PM
  Quote Post

Maybe this should be in the Friday humour thread.

Bless her little cholesterol-endangered heart. Perhaps she needs a hug !! weirdsmiley.gif

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/763961/wo...hicken-mccrisis

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

focus
post Posted: Jan 23 2008, 08:55 AM
  Quote Post

Couldn't find a news thread so whacked it on here,

Australian born actor Heath ledger was found dead this morning.

focus

--------------------
Old Lighthouse Mechanics - Keep the Lights Burning from Dusk till Dawn

Ooops
post Posted: Jul 19 2007, 09:25 PM
  Quote Post

Time passes.

Life happens.

Distance separates.

Children grow up.

Jobs come and go.

Love waxes and wanes.

Men don't do what they're supposed to do.

Women don’t want to.

Hearts break.

Parents die.

Colleagues forget favors.

Careers end.

Life goes on.

It’s Fantastic.

:-))

Livas1
post Posted: Jul 18 2007, 09:26 PM
  Quote Post

Hi everyone

Thanks for the posts! I think i made my procrastination sound alot worse than it really is.. but I appreciate the links that were posted.

And great to see people with such a generally positive outlook too.

Yes Bunyip...loving parents and growing up/living in Australia.... you couldnt do alot better wub.gif

--------------------
LIVE BIG
Embrace the moment!
Life is a journey not a destination
The only thing that moves markets is surprise...
"The wisest men follow their own direction" - Euripides
People sell stocks for many reasons, but they buy for only one...

bunyip2
post Posted: Jul 17 2007, 04:04 PM
  Quote Post

Life is Great. In my 70's, Had all the usual Up's & Down's & now find I'm ticking more of those Aging box's, particuarlarly Health wise. Long retired & happily SKIN'ing. So long as the "Noggin" keeps working & thank God for freedom offered by this fancy Internet service which allows me to find out about just everything I would'nt be dead for quid's. Appreciate it all the more cos I reckon I've now earned the right to spend it as I want with no guilt. If life had been to easy wouldn't have appreciated as much as I now do. The end I believe will lead to new adventures but whilst I'm still here "Yippee"! Best start was wonderfull loving parents. Born in Australia & all its Beauty & opportunities. The more you travel the more you appreciate how lucky we are! b.

Searching
post Posted: Jul 17 2007, 02:31 PM
  Quote Post

Hi to all, life it is GREAT i've taken all stress out of my life......... had a few changes divorce etc etc now with my new found life and job it is a breeze this is a great way of making money and glad i explored it at this young age while i can set myself up nicely and contemplate life etc etc i make sure i excercise daily (most) and try not to drink or eat to much ......Great freinds...........Great partner .............Holidays..........Dreams that come true.
I agree life can be way to busy.........but i think we all make ourselves to busy just squeezing in abit more here and there.........time out is wonderful.........Most of the best things in LIFE are FREE!!!!!!!!! TIME....... please give it to yourself.... you will think clearer and feel better.

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING