Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

75 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

CBA, COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA
nipper
post Posted: May 26 2021, 11:06 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 24 2021, 01:34 PM

and $100.00
(briefly)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: May 24 2021, 01:34 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 17 2021, 09:19 PM

CBA... B 98.970 ... S 98.980..... +0.930.... Open 98.000...
H 98.990 ....
L 97.650 ....

V 857,000

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: May 17 2021, 09:19 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: beejeboi's post @ May 17 2021, 09:02 PM

CBA getting close to $100.

And I noticed Klarna is hooking up with Flybuys; Got a promotional blurb (which I won't take up) today. More loyalty capture, and I get the feeling only the big players will be left standing in a year or two . Incumbency brings advantage.

--------------------

beejeboi
post Posted: May 17 2021, 09:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Mar 17 2021, 07:36 PM

"CBA is also focusing on the changing market by entering into the Buy-Now Pay-Later (BNPL) space with its 5.5% stake in BNPL giant Klarna" Klarna is still going ahead. This is new on top of Klarna. Big news for CBA i think, very innovative company https://prophet-invest.com/should-i-buy-cba-shares

nipper
post Posted: Mar 17 2021, 07:36 PM
  Quote Post

Commonwealth Bank will undercut Afterpay and conduct credit checks to reduce the risk of customers overcommitting themselves in the biggest competitive response of a major bank to the wildly successful buy now, pay later phenomenon.

CBA's new product, CommBank BNPL, will allow up to 4 million of its retail customers to pay in four instalments. CBA aims to outflank the leaders of the rapidly growing buy now, pay later sector, such as Afterpay and Zip Co, but analysts are unsure whether the bank will be able to catch them after ceding so much territory.
and what has happened to Klarna? Some $350M later??

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Feb 15 2021, 09:06 PM
  Quote Post

The number of first-time investors using Commonwealth Bank’s veteran trading platform has jumped 125 per cent since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic as young Australians have bought in to the so called Robinhood phenomenon rocking global markets. New data from CommSec shows the number of customers with no trading experience using the platform more than doubled from 8 per cent before February last year to 18 per cent at December.

More than four in five (83 per cent) of these new customers are under the age of 44. That represented a 17 per cent jump in usage of the 24-year-old platform by Millennial, Generation X and Generation Z consumers. First-time traders were found to account for about 10 per cent of all trades on the CommSec platform over the period, up from just 4 per cent before the pandemic.

CBA announced last week that more than 230,000 new accounts were opened to trade stocks on CommSec or through its Pocket app over the half year.

reputation count .... squeezing the upstarts. ... because the link with the CDI Account will keep the eyeballs and fingers on CBA

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Feb 11 2021, 08:51 AM
  Quote Post

Muted Response by Market to CBA Interim
By Glenn Dyer |
The interim dividend of $1.50 a share was better-than-expected (analysts thought $140 to $1.45) and the $3.9 billion cash profit was in line with expectations.

And the bottom line was that the bank has so far survived the pandemic in good shape, with more capital and a handle on bad debts, even though another $883 million was tucked away for a rainy day , which could start when the JobKeeper and JobSeeker payments end in late March.

At the peak CBA had 145,000 home loan customers with $51 billion of loans and 67,000 small and medium-sized businesses with $15.7 billion of loans deferring their repayments. As of January 31, home loan deferrals were down to 25,000 customers and $9 billion of loans, and SME deferrals to 2,000 customers and $300 million of loans.

CBA common equity tier one capital ratio of 12.6% is a full percentage higher than it was at June last year (the minimum is 10.5%) ... and can absorb whatever losses might flow without generating stress within the financial system.....

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/02/10/mut...to-cba-interim/

--------------------

Mags
post Posted: Dec 31 2020, 12:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Dec 31 2020, 11:18 AM

Umm... sure.
But then there's the fact that prices are 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 etc times higher than in 1991.So the avalanche will be bigger.I'm the ultimate housing bear: Have been for 20 years :/But short term prices will rise.$20k released from super...removal of responsible lending
etc etc.Once those streams of new 'owners/investors' is sucked dry, then we might see some real action:But in the mean time, investors are coming back into the market (RBA credit growth says so)And maybe the foreign buyers will return if this corona thing gets sorted.But in the mean time, the lack of immigration puts a huge hole in it...Oh, and then there's the corona 'tax' we're seeing in places like Adelaide: Many high paid desk workers from Syd and Melb can work 'permanently' from home: So they're returning back to Adelaide with salaries 2/3/4 times what the local ones are: What you reckon that's doing for prices????Good luck to the flippers, the market could move either way rapidly.Anyways, I don't really care anymore: I'm debt free in my forever home so I just gotta focus on building my retirement fund.

nipper
post Posted: Dec 31 2020, 11:18 AM
  Quote Post

... low interest rates provide more leeway for banks to resolve problem loans. Commonwealth Bank CEO Matt Comyn noted at the bank’s August earnings call that a home borrower who moved to an interest-only loan (on a typical $350,000 loan) would repay about $200 a week .... less than most rents.
That comment helps explain why banks will not face anywhere near as many impaired loans as first thought or see loan losses of the magnitude experienced in 1991 and 2008 to 2009.
Hugh Dive, Atlas Funds

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Oct 26 2020, 01:43 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 12 2020, 06:59 PM

Due to the reduced economic activity expected in the next couple of years, the Reserve Bank is likely to keep interest rates low. .... this is not good news for Australian banks since they price off of the short end of the curve. For bank net interest margins to increase, short end rates need to go back up, which means the RBA needs to feel so good about the economy that they start to raise the cash rate again. And because banks are highly leveraged, changes in profitability are magnified. So, we have got bigger issues than just the bad debts that are going to come through in the next couple of years.

Add to this competition. Banks have had a four pillar structure and that's been supportive of returns. However now you have got competitive threats from companies outside of the banking sector, mainly tech firms. None of these tech firms have a banking licence, or want one, and yet all of them are making incursions into financial services, mostly in the payments area. This is not because they want to be banks; it's because they want to reduce friction for their core services. Amazon wants to streamline payments because it wants to make it easy for anyone to sell anything on their platform. Combine that with smaller Fintechs who are picking off various individual services from the banks and there's a real erosion of the banks' ability to defend their turf.

All this means that the outlook for the banks overall as a sector is not particularly compelling but there are still positives. We're not going to see strong dividends paid out for a while, but the banks do still return their cost capital. There are also important differences between them, so our approach is to look at relative ways that to generate returns..........

Commonwealth Bank is another opportunity. Fintech disrupters typically seek to raise $20m to $50m to get themselves up and running. Against this, CBA is spending $150m a year, just on its app. The CommBank app gets up to 10 million logins a day, making it one of the most used apps in the country. Commonwealth's reinvestment into the app will help the bank retain relevance to its customers, despite the attempted incursions of Fintechs.
https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2020/10/19/sur...ether-thriving/

--------------------

75 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING