Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

485 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > »    

Reply to this topic

CRICKET
henrietta
post Posted: Aug 6 2019, 11:19 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 6 2019, 10:17 AM

Pretty impressed with Head’s performance in both innings.
Openers will need to do better. A first innings score from Usman would be useful.
Smith ...... brilliant.
Looking forward to Warner and Smith taking them apart in the next test.

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 6 2019, 10:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Aug 6 2019, 09:08 AM

Yes, an excellent all round performance.
The OZ bowlers apart from Lyon were not overworked.
Lyon bowled 60 overs, and will need a weeks rest.
Siddle deserved more wickets, he was at least as good if not more consistent than Cummins.
I thought Patto was not as good in the second innings as he was in the first.
Maybe swap him for Starc.
Oz have a 3 day match against Worcester, but it may not be the best time to give all the other players a bit of time in the middle.
Starc Nesser and Hazlewood will be pushing like mad to get in.
Kawaja needs more time in the middle after his injury, so should play.
Bancroft would get a second go in the next test just for his outstanding fielding at short leg. the guy is fearless,. Was amazing to watch him track the batsmen as they jumped down the track.
But have Burns and Harris play the Worcester game just in case.
The poms on the other hand, have some big issues.
Jason Roy will pull off some big quick scores and look fantastic. But there will be a lot of failures in between.
Sometimes you need more than a good eye at the top level against quality bowling on a moving wicket.
Bairstow and Ali are the two biggest problems.
Both are woefully out of form.
Ali worse so, as his bowling is innafectual.
Surely Jack leach will come in, especially after his brilliant night watchman performance against Ireland last week.
Will Jimmy Andersen be fit to play??
Having made one mistake of playing when he was not quite fit, surely they won't make the same mistake twice. They desperately need Wood to be fit, but he won't be ready until the last test if at all.
Joffra Archerr?
He has not played red bal cricket for over a year.
He is scheduled to play for Essex second 11 in a three day game.
He too has been under an injury cloud.
As so many have found out before, five day cricket is a world away from the pyjama game.
Surely they won't play both Andersen and Archer.
The next big question is , what sort of pitch will the poms ask for?
Having decided they don't want a fast track as it is more helpfull to Oz bowlers than the English, they got a slow dry track.
Right up Lyons alley. Won't make that mistake again.
Perhaps if Root had won the toss and batted first it may have been different, though Oz bowlers may also have enjoyed those bowler friendly overcast conditions on the first day as well.
All in all, Oz will be in a much happier frame of mind the poms.
Who would thunk it?

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  henrietta  Pendragon  

balance
post Posted: Aug 6 2019, 09:08 AM
  Quote Post

Aussies win by 251 runs. MOTM was unsurprisingly, Steve Smith with twin centuries. He really is on another level playing like that.

Notable performances by Wade with an excellent 2nd innings century , Cummins 7 wickets for the match and Lyon picking up 9 wickets across the match.

A really good performance coming from behind. I cant see any changes to a winning team despite the openers failing, unless they choose to rotate one of the pace bowlers. Having all right handers has a certain sameness to the bowling. Starc would provide some attacking variation but who do you drop? None deserve it. If they were to make a change, it maybe a tactical swap, Starc for Patto.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

balance
post Posted: Aug 5 2019, 01:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 5 2019, 12:21 PM

Smith: 2nd fastest to 25 test centuries after Bradman (of course it's Bradman) . 119 innings v 68.

His last 10 Ashes innings average is 139. Truly amazing.

--------------------
I'm 29.

nipper
post Posted: Aug 5 2019, 12:21 PM
  Quote Post

Dropping in a comment from elsewhere
Smith may have to spend some more time in the nets to overcome this nasty habit he's developed of getting out in the 140s.
🏏

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 2 2019, 07:23 PM
  Quote Post

Another accolade for the incomparable Ellyse Perry. Best ever ?????

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/273...arlotte-edwards

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  nipper  

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 2 2019, 08:59 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Aug 2 2019, 07:20 AM

ABC ?? Don't think the luvvies there are interested in sport mate.

Fantastic innings by Smith, and Siddle also stepped up magnificently. The rest were woeful .
England might struggle if Anderson can't bowl again, so I do hope our new look bowling line-up can deliver.

English crowd were very unfunny boofheads, not at all like the Barmy Army I've seen at the Gabba. Do hope Warner and Bancroft can get some runs in the second innings and really piss them off.

Interesting , and fairly even match so far.

Umpires didn't have a very good day at all. Interesting to see the bit about where the batsmen can and can't take strike ......... I had thought they could take strike wherever they liked.

Cheers
J

triage
post Posted: Aug 2 2019, 07:20 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 1 2019, 08:51 PM

Gawd I find the ABC newsfeed webpage bloody frustrating ... Steve Smith score a gross and pulls Australia back from disaster and I only find this out when I look at the Guardian's and the London Tele's front pages ... what a little champion the bloke is turning out to be. Day one of the ashes - how important a time for him to stand up and put all those demons to rest. ... instead the ABC just in page is full of articles of the type you give to your work experience kids ... whoever is in charge of that service needs sacking .... elation mixed with frustration ...

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

nipper
post Posted: Aug 1 2019, 08:51 PM
  Quote Post

25 mins in ... inauspicious start. 2/17.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

balance
post Posted: Jul 31 2019, 02:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jul 31 2019, 11:13 AM

Starc's red ball performances are not up to par with his white ball bowling. Cummins is a given and Patto looks to be locked in. Fine bowler. He has a bit of mongrel in him too. Quite handy with the bat. At least as good as Starc.
It depends on whether they think they need the left armer for variation.

Looks like it will be Cummins, Patto, Hazlewood, Lyon and maybe another quick. Do they go all rounder and try Mitch Marsh again? Good one day player but fails too much in test matches.

Go solid line and length with Siddle or a wilder Starc? I read that Sidds has been bowling very well over there. I think they will play Starc, but not really surprised if they do not.

Wade may get a run as a batsman. He's been in good nick.

--------------------
I'm 29.

485 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING