Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

480 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > »    

Reply to this topic

CRICKET
balance
post Posted: Mar 11 2019, 06:24 AM
  Quote Post

That was an astonishing chase by the Aussies. Usman, Hanscomb, Turner all getting amongst the runs. India 9-358. Australia 6-359. I think that is a record for a chase by Australia.

2 all now.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 9 2019, 05:25 PM
  Quote Post

Good win by Oz last night.
Kawaja played very well.
Finch finally comes good.
Marsh didn’t.
Lucky Maxwell had another quick fire cameo.
Zampa and Lyon bowled better than Indian spinners.
Richardson and Cummins outstanding.
interesting outcome from the review by Finch to his LBW.
Given that the ball tracking was way off beam, having the ball pitch around leg stump when it obviously pitched midlle to off stump, showed there are still glitches.
I would have thought that given the obvious uncertainty, Oz should not hve lost their one review because of it.At best the off field ump could call was on field umpire call.
Might have saved Hanscombe later on.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 6 2019, 08:51 PM
  Quote Post

interesting to see Sean Marsh getting a gig in the one-dayers ......... just what we need .... not !!

Langer's Luvvies are looked after.

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 1 2019, 05:24 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Mar 1 2019, 02:22 PM

Langer's problem is that he seems to have a "formula", which includes "types" of cricketers, and he does not like cricketers who don't conform to his plans ..... eg Maxwell, Renshaw.

He's still trying to "prove" his ideas , even though they had very limited success in WA. Langer is proving to be a problem for CA, who of course won't do anything, especially if it means admitting they got the coach call very wrong.
I'd give Jason Gillespie a go, but perhaps he wants to get a bit more experience.

I have also noticed that Langer's pets get an extraordinary amount of leeway as regards performance ......... others get a quick boot.

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  mullokintyre  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 1 2019, 02:22 PM
  Quote Post

What the Hell does Maxwell have to do to become a friend of the cricket establishment??

from Criinfo
Australia's coach Justin Langer has brushed off Glenn Maxwell's suggestion he wants to bat higher up the order in the ODI team following his match-winning displays in the Twenty20 series victory over India, pointedly stating that management would "do what's best for the team" in their penultimate assignment before the World Cup in England.

Maxwell was the difference between the two sides in Vizag and Bengaluru, with a pair of destructive innings that demonstrated his potential to be a key player for Australia when granted a specific and consistent role. But his No. 4 spot in the T20 team seems unlikely to be replicated in the 50-over format, after he batted at No. 7 in the recent series against India in Australia.

When asked about whether he wanted a promotion, Maxwell outlined how it was difficult to play hard-hitting knocks from low down the batting order in places like India and the UAE, where pitches are slow and low and spinning. Langer, however, seemed set to deliver more tough love for Maxwell, asking for a consistent run of good scores before he entertains any changes.

"We'll wait and see," Langer told reporters in Bengaluru. "We'll do what's best for the team I reckon. We'll see how we go.
However Langer was adamant that the captain Aaron Finch will be persevered with despite his struggle to switch between formats upon his promotion to, and then dropping from, the Test team in the absence of the banned David Warner.

"He's such a good player, such a good person, captain of the team, we know he'll come good," Langer said. "We've just got to keep giving him plenty of care and support. We know he'll come good. There's no more destructive player in the world - we talk about Maxy, Marcus Stoinis, a number of our players who can be so destructive - but when he's going, he is as destructive as a player as there is in white-ball cricket.

"We know he'll come good and we'll be patient with him. Another important part about leadership is that he's really consistent. We haven't see any real change in his personality or his attitude around the group, so that's a real credit to him. That's why he is the captain of the team.

"My experience of every captain, the most important thing is they're playing really good cricket. He's got to keep his attention on that. He's got lots of support around him. Like I say, he's such a good person, he's got to be Aaron Finch, be himself. He's doing that. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. We'll just keep encouraging him to be himself. His runs will come, keep encouraging him to be himself and I'm sure he'll come good soon."

I guess Finch does have that level of consistency, its just a pity that its consistently poor.
In his last 10 innings in t20, finch has passed 50 once.
In his last 10 innings, also in T20,Maxwell has scored 1 century and passed 50 in three other occasions.
He is now one of only three players in T20I to have scored three centuries.

Obviously, being a nice person is much better than producing centuries, even though last time that's what Langer asked for.

Too much more of getting the cold shoulder and Maxwell will explode, tell Langer and the cricket establisment where to go, and go make his fortune on the t20 circuit.

Mick

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 10 2019, 11:02 AM
  Quote Post

Anantha Narayanan has produced a very interesting and probably controversial set of statistics about test cricket. It's a bit hard to disagree with him as he has really come up with some useful statistical tools.
Here's the link

http://www.espncricinfo.com/cricket/story/...ls-test-cricket

Will try to paste in the article as well.

Enjoy the read ....... might fill in some time for you Mick.

Cheers
J

ps Have tried to paste the article, but the tables become all jumbled.

triage
post Posted: Feb 9 2019, 07:25 AM
  Quote Post

I've been really unimpressed and disinterested in the Big Bash this year. Seems I'm not alone with crowds down about 30% on last year. From the snippets I've read about it lots of lopsided games, lots of players not firing etc. Anyway last night I decided I should make the effort to watch some on the teeve and it happened that the underperforming Heat were playing one of the Melbourne sides. I sat down just as the Heat started batting. Bloody hell! There was some clean hitting on display with both batters scoring about 80 off 30 balls to finish the game within 10 overs. What a demolition job.

So I was lucky to witness probably the best 10 overs of BBL cricket this year (though the women's semi finals were pretty good as well).

Also, what a joke the national selectors are: Kurtis Patterson scored two centuries for Australia A and goes straight into the test side (fair enough). Matthew Wade totally dominates the entire BBL season and cannot even make the limited overs squad. One can only assume that the national selectors are protecting Tim Payne who apears to be a better captain than he is a cricketer. Surely Wade could be selected purely for his batting skills. A travesty imo.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 5 2019, 09:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Feb 4 2019, 10:21 PM

Thanks Gents,
Lucky it's my left shoulder, so the beer/wine/whiskey/G and T drinking arm is still in good order.
Typing with one finger is a pain. Took me half the day to write the cricket post.
Mick

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Feb 4 2019, 10:21 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Feb 4 2019, 06:46 PM

What EB said! biggrin.gif

Mick if you want to kill some hours SBS ondemand has heaps of kung fu shows on at the moment leading up to lunar new year.

(gong xi fa cai EB)

The worry I have with Mitchell Starc is that speed alone clearly is enough against the likes of the Sri Lankans but perhaps not against better batters. The Indians got into him a bit and he did not seem to rise to the occasion. But you'd have to keep picking him anyway as if nothing else he can clean up the tail.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

balance
post Posted: Feb 4 2019, 08:05 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Feb 4 2019, 02:46 PM

Just to echo EB's sentiments. Get well soon mate!
I've 2 shoulder jobs and they are by far the worst surgery I have had. They take so long to heal. Interminable physio and exercises. Can't lift much for a year. 6 or 7 weeks in a sling 24/7 except when showering.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

480 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING