Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

485 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    

Reply to this topic

CRICKET
nipper
post Posted: Aug 21 2019, 10:45 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 21 2019, 08:40 AM

Headingley has some interesting data points.
Bradman 334 (1930), 304 (1934) and an unbeaten 173 in 1948 (in the second innings, to help win a famous victory when the Aussies chased 404 in 344 minutes on the last day). Neil Harvey, still alive, then a teenager on his first tour, scored the wining runs - and is said to feel guilty in depriving Bradman the chance of ending his career with an average over 100. The Invincibles indeed

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 21 2019, 08:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 20 2019, 12:13 PM

Don't think it really matters.
Whoever "wins" the championship will crow about it for a day, then it will be quickly forgotten.
Another meaningless data point.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 20 2019, 12:13 PM
  Quote Post

Has anyone noticed the new ICC Test match points rules ?
Teams which play a 2 match series get the same points as teams playing a 5 match series. This means that the 5 match teams get 24 points per match for winning, and 2 match series get 60 points per match.
You have to win 5 out of 5 to get the same points as 2 out of 2.
Seems ordinary to me.

Cheers
J

triage
post Posted: Aug 19 2019, 06:20 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Aug 19 2019, 12:44 PM

balance - I reckon lambshanks is a dead cert no matter if Smith is right to go or no, apparently he is the form player in county cricket this season and if we don't pick him then the poms might be tempted ( rolleyes.gif ).

Regarding Steve Smith's concussion ... apparently he passed all the tests on the day he got hit ... if that is right then they need to change the tests that they use. If any rugby league player got up off the ground as dusty as Smith was I'm fairly certain they would not be allowed back onto the playing field. He was clearly not compus mentos when he got out - the poms likely did him a favour by not bowling bouncers at his head. They will if he shows up to play on Thursday.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

balance
post Posted: Aug 19 2019, 12:44 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 19 2019, 11:45 AM

With only a few days between tests and Smith in doubt it does make for a selection conundrum.

Changes are warranted but where to go? Replace Smith with Lambshanks. That's a given if he's not fit.
Do we rotate the bowlers again seeing we have only a 3 day break? It was not a tough test in overs bowled so maybe not.

Replace Bancroft? Warner? How many do they change and realistically, will we better off by doing so? Probably not.
So I think they will only swap out Smith if necessary. If Smith is fit, maybe then Bancroft will go and replaced with Lambshanks with Usman moving to opener.
I think Warner will stay due to his record and experience, but he sure is down in form. Can't catch either right now.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 19 2019, 11:45 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 19 2019, 10:39 AM

I think the selectors will stick with what they have, maybe a bowling change ..... maybe not, but it would be tough to leave Pattinson out. I'm sure Stark would love to have a go, to show Archer a thing or two.

Can't see any batting change because so many have under-achieved. A case of crossing fingers I think. Warner is the key, so hopefully he will get some time at the crease and start causing some havoc.

Fascinating, isn't it.

Cheers
J

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 19 2019, 10:39 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Aug 19 2019, 08:47 AM

Luck plays a very big part in cricket.
In both of these games there was huge numbers of plays and misses, catches just evading fielders, marginal LBW decisions that could have gone either way, review or no review.
Given some of the consistently poor umpiring, it starts to affect the thinking of the captains on whether to review or not.
I reckon the Aussies had the rub of the green in the first test, but perhaps went the other way this time.
Labuschagne showed enormous guts to bat it out given the circumstances of his entry, the quality of fast bowling, conditions, and the britlemness of those around him..
Was unlucky to get out the way he did, catch could have gone either way.
Bancroft batted for long periods, which is what you want for an opener, I would persist with him.evn if it was only for the for hios outstanding catching at short leg.
Warner must be skating on thin ice. Looks like a man troubled. And his catching really let him down this test.
Kawaja is so frustrating. looks so elegant and at ease then plays a crap shot.
He generally gets himself out.
Travis head has stood up given his limited ability. I never thought he would make it given his lack of technique, but he is proving me wrong.
Wade, well he has a century, but I don't think he is the answer.
Paine is the captain, so he stays and is a very good keeper. He was never picked for his batting.
The question is who have they got to replace any of these guys?
There is no one in the wings who has made a compelling case to be included.
Perhaps on the easier tracks in Oz they are all made to look better than they really are.
All the bowlers performed well at various stages.
Not that the Poms are much better. Surely Roy has proved to be a great one day player on flat tracks where he can hit through the line, but lacks technique for red ball cricket.
Rory Burns is similar to Bancroft, good temperament ideal for test cricket but with a limited ability, but uses it well.
Joe Root looks almost as badly out of form as Warner.
Denley is a pretty boy, who won't last.
Butler is only marginally batter batsmen than Paine, but is not as good a keeper.
Bairstow may have got himself into some form, we will have to wait.
Stokes, in the mould of Freddy Flintoff, and an excellent allrounder. in good touch.
Unless Oz top order can get some decent starts, I think they will struggle in the remaining tests.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

balance
post Posted: Aug 19 2019, 08:47 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 19 2019, 07:19 AM

If we held catches and learned to review, a win was there for the taking.
It is interesting that the both bowling attacks are far superior to both batting line ups.

Good test match despite it being drawn.
This should give you a laugh. In case anyone missed where Stokes gets hit he lets you know Stokes hit on the ...

--------------------
I'm 29.

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 19 2019, 07:19 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Aug 18 2019, 09:34 PM

Well, it seems that Jofra Archer has blown yet another Langer theory out of the water. Line and length doesn't beat raw pace and aggression after all ......... quelle surprise !!!

We were lucky to get out of that last day with a draw, but the future doesn't look so good. I wonder if Stark might get a gig after all? Batting looks very brittle with no one in form, and Smith most likely not available for the next test.
Paine and Langer will have some serious discussions I imagine.

Cheers
J

balance
post Posted: Aug 18 2019, 09:34 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Aug 18 2019, 08:40 PM

Smith ruled out with delayed concussion. ohmy.gif That paints an entirely different picture . Marnus Lambshanks subbed in for Smith.

--------------------
I'm 29.

485 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING