Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

36 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

WOW, WOOLWORTHS LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Nov 9 2019, 07:22 PM
  Quote Post

Woolworths pushing ahead with drinks demerger

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2019/11/05/woo...rinks-demerger/

.... and then Coles and Woolworths will be comparable again (sort of)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

blacksheep
post Posted: Oct 30 2019, 01:15 PM
  Quote Post

Woolworths investigated after admitting it underpaid 5,700 staff up to $300 million
Key points:
Woolworths says the underpayment of staff dates back to 2010 and may involve up to $300 million in unpaid wages and entitlements
About 5,700 people will receive their full entitlements, including back payments with interest and superannuation contributions
Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci has apologised and promised it won't happen again

read more - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-30/wool...ection=business

and it appears the ABC, who authored this article, is also being investigated for underpayment

The ABC is also being investigated for the alleged underpayment of 2,500 flat-rate casuals over six years.

In its 2018-19 annual report, the ABC said it put aside almost $23 million for the potential "estimated historical salary and wages and superannuation entitlements owed to certain casual employees".

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 29 2019, 11:06 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Jul 3 2019, 10:17 AM

Woolies to shed pubs & drinks & spin them off

Now closing 30 Big W Stores as profit tumbles

Key points:
Excluding the impact of the sale of its petrol franchise, Woolworths' normalised profit fell 7pc to $1.5b, well short of analyst estimates
The $1.7b sale of the petrol business supported a 9pc jump in the full-year dividend to $1.02 per share
Big W continues to be a drag on profits, with 30 stores earmarked for closure

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-29/wool...ection=business

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Jul 3 2019, 12:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jul 3 2019, 10:23 AM

Of course I meant ESG
Environmental, social and governance refers to the three central factors in measuring the sustainability and ethical impact of an investment in a company or business.

These criteria help to better determine the future financial performance of companies (return and risk).

- The virtuous dollar is playing a greater part of the investment process though, for the management at Woolworths, it probably is more an analysis of growth options and getting back to basics, having a cleaner simpler model for the market to understand.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jul 3 2019, 10:23 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Jul 3 2019, 10:17 AM

Wow.

Lot of pressure from the CSG crowd for the pokies to go.

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 3 2019, 10:17 AM
  Quote Post

Woolies to shed pubs & drinks & spin them off

Intention to separate Endeavour Group following merger of Endeavour Drinks and ALH

Woolworths Group Limited (‘Woolworths Group’) is today announcing an agreement to combine its drinks and
hospitality businesses, Endeavour Drinks and ALH Group (‘ALH’) into a single entity expected to be referred to
as Endeavour Group Limited (‘Endeavour Group’). Following the combination, Woolworths Group intends to
pursue a separation of the business through a demerger or other value-accretive alternative. The separation is
expected to take place in calendar year 2020.

Woolworths Group Chairman, Gordon Cairns, said: “The Board believes that a merger of Endeavour Drinks
and ALH followed by a separation, is in shareholders’ best interests and will benefit customers and team
members of both groups. The decision has been taken after consideration of the future prospects of both
businesses and how they can be best realised. It reflects the Board’s focus on maximising long-term
shareholder value.”

Bruce Mathieson Senior of Bruce Mathieson Group (‘BMG’), Woolworths Group’s joint venture partner in ALH,
said: “Woolworths Group and BMG have enjoyed a long and successful partnership in ALH since 2004 which
has created significant value for both sets of shareholders. This transaction is the natural evolution of the
partnership and will allow Endeavour Drinks and ALH to reach their full potential. We look forward to continuing
the partnership for many years to come.”

The separation will allow Woolworths Group to benefit from a simplified organisational structure, a greater focus
on its core food and everyday needs markets and opportunities to continue to build out the Woolworths Group
retail ecosystem. Separation will also allow Endeavour Group to realise its full potential through business
simplification and efficiencies with greater access to capital to pursue investment and growth, while retaining
the benefits from a strong partnership with Woolworths Group.

Woolworths Group CEO, Brad Banducci, said: “Over the past three years we have progressively moved from a
period of fixing the basics as part of our turnaround to investing for the future as part of our transformation. As
we look to build customer differentiation in all of our businesses, and prepare for an agile and digitally-enabled
future, we have decided to simplify Woolworths Group through a combination and subsequent separation of
Endeavour Group.”

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

nipper
post Posted: Jun 22 2019, 05:20 PM
  Quote Post

After a decade of squeezing their supply chain, [Coles and Woolworths] are now looking more closely within their own walls to try and create some margin growth.

In particular, they are rethinking exactly how many staff they need and how to use the 200,000-or-so people who work at the two supermarkets as effectively as possible.
... Woolworths two weeks ago announced an overhaul of how it staffs its stores. It says that the restructure will not result in net jobs losses, but unions say thousands will either take a pay cut or leave the business.
- but then, the employees have moved to awards from Enterprise Agreements, and the management has now to deal with escalating wages costs.

I've become aware that WOW has just signed with Montreal based WorkJam,...https://www.workjam.com/ ,
WorkJam’s Digital Workplace technology is designed to bring your workforce together through agile scheduling, transformative communication, experiential learning and tailored recognition seamlessly through a single user experience.
Interestingly, a significant win for WorkJam was implementing an earlier iteration of their platform with Target Australia over the last few years. (see website). This has been a success and it was described to me, for the efficient operation of their workforce, enabling the large numbers of staff to be rostered on effectively, all from the App. (Optimize labor and employee engagement by reducing manager workloads and giving employees the tools to easily manage availability, time off, schedule changes, swaps, filling open shifts and more.)

If you think there are 200,000 employees in Coles and Woolies, Australia wide, and the ability to coordinate levels from an App, then no wonder the middle-managers are worried for their jobs as 'people management' is centralised/ digitised.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: May 27 2019, 04:24 PM
  Quote Post

Woolworths has massively scaled back offers for its $1.7 billion share buyback after overwhelming demand from retirees and superannuation funds chasing franking credits.

Announcing the outcome of the buyback on Monday, Woolworths said it had scaled back offers by 84.68 per cent, meaning successful shareholders had only 15.32 per cent of the shares they offered bought back, excluding the first 180 shares before the scaleback applied.

Woolworths chairman Gordon Cairns: “We are pleased with the outcome and the strong level of investor interest." Jessica Hromas

The buyback price was set at $28.94 a share, the maximum 14 per cent discount to the market price of $33.64....

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Apr 9 2019, 11:09 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Apr 9 2019, 10:47 AM

Hard to compare, I'd think, because the bottom line would include elaborate "accounting practices" so beloved of multinationals but less available to locally listed entities.

--------------------

alonso
post Posted: Apr 9 2019, 10:47 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Apr 9 2019, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't mind having a bet that Aldi's profit is greater off its lower base than Woolies. But we don't get to see Aldi's figures as far as I know.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

36 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING