Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 2 3 4 5   

Reply to this topic

STOCK PICKS FOR 2018
blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 25 2017, 05:09 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 25 2017, 02:33 PM

Mr W is a 'master' of self-promotion; or, at least he seems to provide frequent copy to journalists happy to run his articles under their names. Seems to be in the Business sections of AFR or The Oz almost weekly.

He's not the only one - these folk really know how to work a crowd to their advantage - it's all free publicity for their interests. At least I hope it's free. Quite frankly, I prefer the quiet achievers who get the job done without all the hoo-ha and the flaunting of wealth

Don't think Mr W has a twitter and instagram account with lots of HC followers though - at least I haven't come across

Posted a recent piece from Forager on the NCZ thread. Read also a while back where Forager had a sizable position in MAH, another "fallen angel", and sold RKN back in July p probably profitable but RKN has since gone up following the sale of their accountant group to MYOB. They all win some and lose some - like most of us.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  mah.png ( 108K ) Number of downloads: 3
Attached File  rkn.png ( 117.22K ) Number of downloads: 4

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

nipper
post Posted: Nov 25 2017, 02:33 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Nov 24 2017, 03:17 PM

Mr W is a 'master' of self-promotion; or, at least he seems to provide frequent copy to journalists happy to run his articles under their names. Seems to be in the Business sections of AFR or The Oz almost weekly.

Another small player, Forager, had some column inches recently, keeping the profile up; didn't really offer 'insights' or picks, though.
We don't do trend-based investing. You wouldn't see us investing in lithium or electric vehicles or artificial intelligence or any of the other hot themes out there. They tend to be a bit of a recipe for disaster...

One of the challenges of the market at the moment is it's fairly rationally valued across the board. Two years ago, parts of the market were expensive but mining and mining services were cheap...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/w...bf7d4a4b45ba30e

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: blacksheep  

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 24 2017, 03:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Nov 24 2017, 02:53 PM

It would indeed. That's why I've started recording these so this time next year we can revisit. smile.gif

Waislitz's Thorney "performance" according to AFR....

Thorney Opportunities listed in 2014 and after a slow start has gained momentum, with net tangible asset (NTA) backing rising 18 per cent in the 2017 financial year to 71.6¢ per share. At the end of October it was up to 75.3¢. Thorney Technologies' NTA is 21.5¢ per share, up more than 20 per cent since January 1.

Two of this top picks last year apparently were -> GSW and UPD
Attached File  gsw.png ( 96.86K ) Number of downloads: 4

Attached File  upd.png ( 104.83K ) Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

arty
post Posted: Nov 24 2017, 02:53 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Nov 24 2017, 02:34 PM

wouldn't it be interesting to get a follow-up on Eggspurts' picks for 2017 and compare them to EOY reality... tongue.gif

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 24 2017, 02:34 PM
  Quote Post

All the "expert" stock pickers are coming out with next year's HOT stock tips - thought I'd put them all in this thread. This is, of course, not investment advice just a record of who picked what stock and whether or not they got it right - always DYOR

Apparently he likes/is particularly excited about ANG - Austin Engineering, (Thorney had helped fix their leadership and balance sheet). Others are Southern Cross Electrical Engineering - SXE - and MMA Offshore - MRM.

Alex Waislitz's next tip is to get into mining services stocks

"We have long had a relationship with these companies, but in time we have sold down significantly but kept our knowledge and intellectual capital in them. So now we have thought it was an opportune time to purchase more shares in these companies."

He said Southern Cross has been winning work with new projects and had entered the fast-growing infrastructure sector while MMA was a longer-term play.

"It is in the oil industry, which we think will lag others for the next two years. So we are trying to position ourselves earlier as an appropriate entry level."​

Read more: http://www.afr.com/personal-finance/manage...7#ixzz4zJtJEDII
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ANG.png ( 113.73K ) Number of downloads: 8
Attached File  MRM.png ( 116.87K ) Number of downloads: 8
Attached File  SXE.png ( 114.02K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  User  

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 2 3 4 5

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING