Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >   

Reply to this topic

SPORT, Anything about sport
henrietta
post Posted: Feb 20 2020, 06:18 PM
  Quote Post

So how does this system work ? If you can't win a medal we'll cut your funding.

Charlesworth said he was “disappointed” when he heard the news that the Australian women’s hockey team, if they don’t perform in Tokyo, will have their funding cut by 60 per cent as there is no medal forecast for Paris 2024.

Making it harder for the sport is somehow supposed to get better results? Punish the non medal winners ?

I can understand some peripheral sports being cut, but teams like the Hocheyroos have actually performed pretty well on the international scene.

This approach of only rewarding winners, in a country with a small population like Australia has, seems bizarre, and certainly goes against the Olympic ideals.

Perhaps the administrative side of Olympic organisation needs the trimming, not the athletes' funding.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  mullokintyre  

henrietta
post Posted: Nov 21 2019, 06:40 PM
  Quote Post

So now we have a New Zealander for a CEO of Australian Rugby, and we also have a New Zealander as the Wallabies coach.

Great to see our Rugby in good hands. weirdsmiley.gif

Cheers
J

ps Kiwis must be pi....ing themselves laughing.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

henrietta
post Posted: Nov 3 2019, 11:28 AM
  Quote Post

Tonga XIII create history, stunning Australia in Auckland

Any team that picks Daly Cherry-Evans will lose more games than they should.

Cheers
J

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Oct 13 2019, 06:18 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Oct 13 2019, 05:36 PM

Ron Clarke was another great runner, but not a great racer. All fantastic achievements, but in different ways.

Cheers
J

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Oct 13 2019, 05:36 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Oct 13 2019, 02:15 PM

Certainly in 'natural' or "normal" conditions, 2:03~2:05 was about the limit.

But even Bannister's mile was, for the age, a bit of a construct.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Oct 13 2019, 02:15 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Oct 13 2019, 08:44 AM

Leaves me with a bit of an empty feeling about it, after reading how artificial the conditions were. Waiting for the right weather, an army of pacers who shielded him as well as maintained the correct pace ( constantly monitored electronically), riders to supply drinks so no slowing down .......

The runner who can get under the 2 hours in genuine race conditions will be my champion.

Cheers
J

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

nipper
post Posted: Oct 13 2019, 08:44 AM
  Quote Post

Roger Bannister, 1954. Neil Armstrong, 1969. Eliud Kipchoge, 2019?

Like the sub-four minute mile and walking on the moon, running a marathon in less than two hours had seemed impossible - until Saturday. So Olympic champion Kipchoge broke the barrier, the question arose as to where to rank his achievement in historical context.

The 34-year-old Kenyan completed the 42.195 kilometres (26.2 miles) in 1 hour, 59 minutes, 40.2 seconds at the INEOS 1:59 Challenge, an event set up for the attempt.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Sep 8 2019, 12:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Sep 8 2019, 11:51 AM

As the (deserved) winner said, "I just closed all that out." And got on with winning points.

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Sep 8 2019, 11:51 AM
  Quote Post

Could it be that Serena is just a tad obsessed with herself ??

“I believe I could have played better. I believe I could have done more. I believe I could have just been more Serena today,” Williams said.

“I honestly don’t think Serena showed up. I have to kind of figure out how to get her to show up in Grand Slam finals.”

“All of it honestly, truly is super frustrating,” Williams said. “I’m so close, so close, so close, yet so far away.

“I don’t know what to say. I guess I got to keep going if I want to be a professional tennis player. And I just got to just keep fighting through it.”

“I’m not necessarily chasing a record. I’m just trying to win Grand Slams,” she said. “It’s definitely frustrating, but for the most part I just am still here. I’m still doing what I can do.”

Not partial to gracefully congratulating the winner, and departing the scene.

Cheers
J

--------------------

balance
post Posted: Aug 16 2019, 09:24 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 16 2019, 08:54 AM

I hope the kick him off the tour. Immature, spoiled, egotistical, temperamental twat of the highest order.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING