Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

65 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

COVID-19, Pandemic
plastic
post Posted: Yesterday, 02:30 PM
  Quote Post

All this vaccine stuff going on with mega deals and failed delivery etc but still no mention of who is getting a cut of the pie in patent royalties.
Something fishy going on in all of this. Last couple of days in the US and the paucity of movement on the ASX just confirms it.
ALNY still not in the frame with covid. More proof if needed.

--------------------
What did Uncle Mel do to us?

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 26 2021, 01:26 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 26 2021, 12:50 PM

Isn’t the human body an amazing organism ?

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 26 2021, 12:50 PM
  Quote Post

From Science Daily

As the number of people who have fought off SARS-CoV-2 climbs ever higher, a critical question has grown in importance: How long will their immunity to the novel coronavirus last? A new Rockefeller study offers an encouraging answer, suggesting that those who recover from COVID-19 are protected against the virus for at least six months, and likely much longer.

The findings, published in Nature, provide the strongest evidence yet that the immune system "remembers" the virus and, remarkably, continues to improve the quality of antibodies even after the infection has waned. Antibodies produced months after the infection showed increased ability to block SARS-CoV-2, as well as its mutated versions such as the South African variant.

The researchers found that these improved antibodies are produced by immune cells that have kept evolving, apparently due to a continued exposure to the remnants of the virus hidden in the gut tissue.

Based on these findings, researchers suspect that when the recovered patient next encounters the virus, the response would be both faster and more effective, preventing re-infection.

Over time as more and more data comes in, we will get large scale, long term results about the behaviour of the virus.
Lets hope there are no "surprises" in the larger scale long term analysis.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

kahuna1
post Posted: Jan 18 2021, 06:25 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Mags's post @ Jan 18 2021, 11:21 AM

Hi Mags,

Unknown .... all of it.Speculation on my part.

I do of course hope for the best, but Biden is inheriting a mess. That he says 100 million injections in 100 days is a wish I hope they achieve.
That said, two injections needed per person for the vaccine, a mere 50 million say by end of April full vaccinated.

I do hope the effort doubles .... by then and 200 million shots end of July added to this and another 100 million added. So they will be close.
I wish ... I had some confidence in this since the stupidity displayed of late in the USA has no bounds.

Photo I have attached is Hogs Breath in Florida as of 16th January 2021.

It was more crowded the night before .... and the night after.
Florida is reporting basically all the infections Australia had EVERY 2 days.

Florida openly had deliberately under reported both infections and deaths. Look at all those masks !! NONE ... or around chin

Photo taken from live web camera ....
https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/florida.html

What Florida is ... is about average for the USA .... Tennessee and Nashville via same camera on a Saturday night NOW is insane. It's about 150% worse than Florida. No masks, no social distancing other than, well ... Neo liberal stupidity.

I can make one prediction sadly for 2021 and the govt preferred site that gates funds, and its 567,000 Covid Deaths by April 1st 2021 for the USA will sadly pass 800,000 during 2021 and unlikely not to hit 1 million in 2021.

Biden may of course mandate compulsory mask wearing, but its likely to be ignored as you can see in the picture.

Vaccine wise, I suspect its only going to give about 8 months immunity, this from a lot of scientific papers. The vaccine if you have it likely will require booster shots, one ... maybe 2 every year.

USA is so fractured right now this link to the recent riots is worth your time watching. No commentary, just a reporter following with camera and this is just the tip of the iceberg in the USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270F8s5TEKY

Yep its 12 minutes long. I suspect with cause that any vaccination effort is tied up with acceptance by the greater community in any society. USA sadly has so many factions of people one can see from the video that ... at best one can dream the vaccine is taken up by 80%, likely 50% and I hope and pray they sort out the issues which has seen a mere 13 million shots in the first Month. Only 1.97 million so far having got the two shots .... included in that 13 million total.

To get to say 200 million people for 2 shots at even 50 million shots a month .... so 400 million will take time. Then repeat over and over until the virus is gone which seems sadly again unlikely with what one must expect an uptake of say 60% in the USA leaving the virus to fester and fester as it does.
Best wishes to all for 2021.

Sobering that its unlikely for the USA to stop till 800,000 dead likely a million. Absurd as it sounds, infected went from 200,000 a week in the USA to 1.8 million and its NOT going down. Look at the picture and wonder if they are out of their scones.

Mark
Attached File(s)

--------------------
All views expressed are my own opinions. While I take every care when posting no guarantee to the absolute veracity of the postings is given or implied. Please do your own reseach and consult a professional investment advisor before investing.

Mags
post Posted: Jan 18 2021, 11:21 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: kahuna1's post @ Jan 10 2021, 09:53 PM

Of course, USA as just displayed has virtually zero chance of vaccination being taken up willingly by 80% or more people. Sadly this will be with us for some time the covid19 until either its captured and squashed, via lock-downs or masks and or vaccines being taken up so transmission is well under 1.

Thanks Mark: You make a very, very valid point.
I didn't understand how 'herd immunity' exists at 75-80% immunisation levels: But I spoke with a customer of mine who is a trustworthy pharmacist: At 75% of the population being immunized what happens is the 25% of the community that can carry and spread the disease isn't enough for the uncontrolled spread of the virus, it essentially isn't sustainable, so yes, some people will get it, but it will eventually die out on it's own.
Good theory.
-BUT-
As you say, how are you going to get 80% of USA citizens to take the damn thing...
-AND- the big worry, how long is immunity for???
or against???
12 months??? one or two mutations???
It appears we're now seeing the third real mutation hitting the scene... so what if the vaccine doesn't work on that???
Then we're back at 0% herd immunity...
Yes, this is going to be around alot longer than most think.
Just thank the lord every day we are in Australia, and our state premiers (some better than others) are smart enough to know their budgets (and political equity) could never cover the cost of a full blow out in covid.
My wife in medicine, still stands by the initial timeframe of no international 'free' travel until at least 2024 ie. 5 years. Other people I know in Air Port management are working on the same time frame.
Just keep yourselves and family safe and prepared for the worst.

deadone
post Posted: Jan 18 2021, 09:33 AM
  Quote Post

from the new york times
America now makes up 4 percent of the worlds population but accounts for about 20 percent of global deaths

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Jan 14 2021, 10:00 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Jan 14 2021, 09:25 AM

people are precious. Those sound like the side effects of most vaccinations.

Smallpox jab (actually a scratch) was prolonged and horrible. You younger generation have got it easy lol

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 14 2021, 09:47 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Jan 14 2021, 09:25 AM

Sounds like the same side effects that I get due to old age.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

early birds
post Posted: Jan 14 2021, 09:25 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/expert...nes/ar-BB1cJnkw

What are the expected side effects of a COVID-19 vaccination?

“Side effects include pain at injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, swollen lymph nodes in the injection arm, nausea and vomiting and fever. When I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine, I felt like I got punched in the shoulder for about 24 hours.”

=============

is that all of the side effects?? unsure.gif

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

kahuna1
post Posted: Jan 10 2021, 09:53 PM
  Quote Post

CDC ... study ...

I note a few things.There were over 20 extreme reactions inside the first 10 days in the USA .... extreme as in life threatening.Whilst not an anti vax person at all, CDC and USA FDA both have failed in massive dangerous fashion of late. FDA approved the malaria drug only to have it pulled for emergency use. Approved Gilliad Remdesivir to treat the virus and even gave it full approval. EU on the other hand banned the very same drug.
Reality is that few doctors use this drug now ... either USA or EU .... it had and has issues with kidneys and livers and WHO study with 17,000 people found it had NO effect .... none zero and so too 2 other studies the FDA and CDC ignored.

Anyhow CDC study ... which is ...

https://news.yahoo.com/1-100-000-had-severe-193625427.html

Total BS ... even the wording is deliberate deceptive. In a clinical trail and vaccine trial a need to have an eppy shot ... a life threatening reaction called and EXTREME reaction. Not a severe one ... which is much milder and not needing a visit to the hospital. Thankfully due to the vaccine needing special treatment and now shots are given under doctors supervision to see if their is an allergic reaction.

the full data for Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, clinical trials, had ZERO .... no extreme reactions. NONE.. .... and they had 20 in the first 150k ? Seriously !!
Do you think it needs MORE testing ? Of course the need is immediate and well, corners cut .... along with the pile of money for both of them.

This to one side ...
another factual article and well here it is ...

https://bjanaesthesia.org/article/S0007-091...1009-6/fulltext

Also read the full studies of both vaccines and was personally appalled.

CDC I suppose saying its 10 times more reactions than a the flu shot sounds ok. Sadly they used the reactions seen the first week of vaccinations so about 150,000- .... then used the total people given a shot as of week 4 .... so over 2 million which is ... what it is.
Understating the issue and reactions by a factor of 10 .... in plain sight !!

I suppose reactions are yes rare, even despite this clear and obvious tapering with data and pseudo science by the USA again.
Sadly some of the reactions seen are longer lasting such as bells paulsey which in some had not resolved by the end of the clinical trials along with immediate rheumatoid arthritis.

I did and do note the whitewash by even normally decent scientific magazines. One article in Stat magazine actually suggested that the reactions were coincidental.

Yes of course over a vast population people will have every sort of normal reaction over time however .... a person given the vaccine immediate developing a rash, difficulty breathing or blowing up like a puffer fish is what they were trying to actually dismiss.

Total crap .... of course a fine line between anti vaccine nutjobs and getting people vaccinated.

For myself will await a more tradition vaccine, not the RNA ones ... not ones with PEG or other fillers. Oxford one looks good as do 2 others likely approved in coming months.

Need for this in Australia given actual contact tracing, compliance on the main with masks and ... lack of stupidity being tolerated ... seems no immediate rush.

UK ... USA and a lot of others in serious trouble. The need outweighs the risks and caution I have raised along with others.
If say 50 people actually died via the vaccine the USA right now at 370k deaths, likely real number 500 k ... that to one side, the official estimate now for 1st April 2021 which I have whinged about for many months as being a joke and too low, is NOW .... closer to my own at 567,000- dead.
That's another 200,000 deaths in 10 weeks.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-state...s&tab=trend

So cost or risks even as I have raised an at worst number .... is tiny compared to benefits.

Of course, USA as just displayed has virtually zero chance of vaccination being taken up willingly by 80% or more people. Sadly this will be with us for some time the covid19 until either its captured and squashed, via lock-downs or masks and or vaccines being taken up so transmission is well under 1.

Time will tell.

--------------------
All views expressed are my own opinions. While I take every care when posting no guarantee to the absolute veracity of the postings is given or implied. Please do your own reseach and consult a professional investment advisor before investing.

65 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING