Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >   

Reply to this topic

What was your first trade?, Can you remember? Did you make or lose on it.
Uplink
post Posted: Jun 23 2009, 12:23 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Brendan's post @ Jun 23 2009, 11:42 AM

My first trade was Poseidon
Purchased @ 80c. Languished to 30c over a couple of years. When they went up to $1.50 I decided to bail out, but by the time I got the order on and found an extra 20 shares (after checking my holding) I averaged $3.50. They went on to $283.00 or thereabouts. Still, I made money.
Uplink

kennowaylass
post Posted: Jun 23 2009, 12:02 PM
  Quote Post

Great topic. Ahhhhh, I remember it well, it was Aristocrat, my hubby worked for them at the time and got some employee shares cheap then we added to them before the company went gangbusters. Sold after holding over the 12 months and made a nice profit. Do remember though that some bad news came out and the shares tanked to 99c. Was sitting at the computer hovering over the buy button but didn't do it, kicked ourselves forever on that but was a real learner. Then made a bit on OXR & ZFX at the time. Best trade was INP when they were just about to strike oil.
Won't say anything about worst trades as there are too many to list.

bam_bamm
post Posted: Jun 23 2009, 12:00 PM
  Quote Post

my first purchases were accumulating BHP over a few years pre 2000 (still hold the lot)

but my first trade was buying IMD at $1.00, and selling at $1.67 about 6 weeks later.

--------------------

blueice
post Posted: Jun 23 2009, 11:56 AM
  Quote Post

I'm sure every trader has a story to tell, and it would be interesting to hear about their first trade and how they went and the reason for becoming a trader - whether part time or full time. And also it will be interesting to know how long they've been trading for...............

Brendan
post Posted: Jun 23 2009, 11:42 AM
  Quote Post

Some interesting first trades,

Come on guys with 0 posts.. heres a topic you can all make a comment on and become part of the community.

Brendan

david17
post Posted: Jun 20 2009, 09:58 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Kuri's post @ Jun 19 2009, 06:44 PM

The company who took over Hardman was Tullow and they're doing very well.

Kuri
post Posted: Jun 19 2009, 06:44 PM
  Quote Post

My first trade was Hardman Resources and one week later there was a coup and the oil friendly regime was ousted. I wasn't watching the news and thought I saw a buying oppportunity and bought some more. Oops. The oil contracts were all rewritten and I managed to get out for a $100 profit one year later when they got bought out buy a British company (forgotten the name) that also had an interest in the Mauritanian oil fields.

Note to self: If a share goes down there is probably a reason for it.

Kuri

--------------------
[color="#ff0000"]WARNING: Do not make any financial decisions based on anything in this post.[/color]

blueice
post Posted: Jun 19 2009, 09:42 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Brendan's post @ Jun 18 2009, 05:24 PM

I remember my couple of first ever trades back in 2006 were MMX and AOE - bought MMX form memory in the mid 30's and sold out of the two due to sheer panic and fear because the sp of both started to go down after I bought them..................Ah, how I wish I had kept both now...............but that is life.............

wolverine
post Posted: Jun 18 2009, 10:24 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Mark M's post @ Jun 18 2009, 09:51 PM

Hi Mark

I have a friend with a similar story. He was instrumental in getting me into shares warrants and options.

He liked miners as well which was something i stayed away from for a long time. My old man is a mining engineer and it seems the less you know the better you feel about them.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

flower
post Posted: Jun 18 2009, 10:03 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Jun 18 2009, 09:55 PM

The gent in the Roller (and a true gentleman he was)

Arty--never a truer word spoken.
--------------------------------------------------

Takes you back to the whole WA Inc saga--Rothwells et al ----the Americas Cup!!!

Re the WAN IPO--lets just say an awfull lot of money was made, a lot of it held on to as well.

BTW: Hartley Poynton ----took me some time to elevate myself from the Gemeni!!!

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING