Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

17 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Climate, Earth's Climate
mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 5 2021, 12:45 PM
  Quote Post

From Nikki Asia
OSAKA -- Panasonic will withdraw from solar cells and panel production, Nikkei has learned, as the former leading maker now faces fierce competition from Chinese rivals that can produce the items at a lower cost.

Panasonic will quit manufacturing as early as March 2022 at factories in Malaysia and Japan's Shimane Prefecture. The move marks a complete exit from the solar manufacturing business after the Osaka-based company scrapped a partnership with Tesla that produced solar cells last year.

Panasonic will procure solar panels from other manufacturers to stay in the power industry through such businesses as installing generation systems for residential use.

According to the International Energy Agency, the amount of new solar power generation this year is expected to reach 117 million kilowatts, up 10% from the previous year. Due to the increased production by Chinese manufactures, the price of solar panels has fallen to about a third of 2012 prices.

The lower prices from Chinese rivals forced Japanese manufacturing out of production. Panasonic's solar cell and panel business has been in the red.

The takeover by China of all things tech continues.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 19 2021, 12:58 PM
  Quote Post

One of Joe Bidens first steps that he promises to do is to get teh USA back inti the global climate accord to reduce CO2 emissions.
In some ways this is a bit symbolic, as the the US put out about 4% less CO2 over the past 4 years, despite a slight increase in population.
The best estimate I could find was that the US is now responsible for about 14% of global Co2 emissions.
Much will be made of this return to the fold but in the "developing Nation" of China, which last year was estimated to have produced some 27% of global Co2 emissions, not much progress has been made.
In fact, according to NASDQ
China's coal output rose last year to its highest since 2015, despite Beijing's climate change pledge to reduce consumption of the dirty fossil fuel and months of disruption at major coal mining hubs.

The world's biggest coal miner and consumer produced 3.84 billion tonnes of coal in 2020, data from the National Bureau of Statistics showed on Monday.

China's coal output dropped after reaching a peak of 3.97 billion tonnes in 2013, as Beijing axed excessive mining capacity and promoted clean energy consumption. But production is rising amid surging industrial demand and an unofficial restriction on coal imports aimed at shoring up the domestic mining industry.

For December alone, coal output was 351.89 million tonnes, up 3.2% from the same month last year, and up from 347.27 million tonnes in November.

Once again, the climate emergency folk are deathly quiet.
Where is climate extinction?
No marches, no people gluing themselves to Beijing's roadways.
no street Theatre, no demands that banks stop lending to Chinese companies, no activist stock exchange imvestors demanding changes.
No condemnation from the 8 billion UN agencies who make it their business to condemn these things.
Total silence.

Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 17 2021, 04:31 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 17 2021, 02:38 PM

meantime, KIMI has sprung to life off FNQ, likely to hit land tomorrow. Cat 1, likely upgrade to a 2,

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-17/bom-...nd-hit/13065080

'Tis the season to be jolly (well surprised)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 17 2021, 03:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 17 2021, 02:38 PM

It's all about trying to convince people that the weather/climate people know what they are talking about. Two months after the dire cyclone prediction, who's gonna remember ?
Meanwhile, the fear thing has done its work.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 17 2021, 02:38 PM
  Quote Post

I have lived in the tropics both here in OZ and in the Pacific for a few years of my working life, and been unfortunate enough to have been through three cyclones of varying intensity over the years.
Last year, This Article from ABC news made me sit up and take notice.
Cyclones have been notoriously hard to predict over decades, but a new scientific model could prove to be a circuit-breaker, particularly in the cyclone-battered Pacific.
Cyclone modelling has traditionally been difficult due to complex interactions between the sea and atmosphere
A new Australia-New Zealand forecast model now synthesizes these interactions simultaneously
This could strengthen the Pacific's preparedness for its annual cyclone season
The University of Newcastle, in collaboration with New Zealand's National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research, has released a new predictive tool call Long-Range Tropical Cyclone Outlook for the Southwest Pacific (TCO-SP), which can forecast cyclones up to four months in advance.

Current modelling only produces forecasts one month in advance, while actual cyclone paths may not necessarily follow predicted paths.

At the time of reading, I was a little sceptical, especially the last bit about modelling can only produce forecasts one month in advance. The reason for my scepticism was that I cannot recall the BOM predicting any cyclones a month in advance, it was highly unusual to get even a weeks notice
much less a month. I thought that four months was pushing it up hill a bit.

We have had two cyclones this season , neither was predicted to occur within a week of their forming. Indeed in the case of tropical cyclone Kimi, it seemed to pop up out of nowhere with no warning. There was no mention of a tropical low even forming. The monsoon trough hanging over northern Australia has a good chance of producing another one next week of the northern coast of WA. But not a word from these new found models.

Once again, the press releases seem to be of more import than the actual science.

Mick

--------------------

joules mm1
post Posted: Dec 22 2020, 01:36 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Dec 22 2020, 01:20 PM

lazy science and an immediacy of (rush-to) conclusions sets back the work of scientists who work on the challenge
oh, yeah .....and this:

https://grist.org/energy/trump-energy-depar...ewable-studies/

--------------------
. . . . . . . . everything has an art.....in the instance of the auction process, the only thing, needed to be listened to; price

mullokintyre
post Posted: Dec 22 2020, 01:20 PM
  Quote Post

The article at ABC News
has a headline that blames Climate Change for the death of Dolphins in the Gippsland lakes.

Australian scientists for the first time have determined climate change as the cause of deadly skin lesions found in two species of extremely endangered bottlenose dolphins in Australia.
Researchers have, for the first time, identified and defined the condition, which they have called 'Fresh Water Skin Disease (FWSD)
With dolphin numbers on the decline, experts are worried for the future of Burrunan dolphin in eastern Victoria
Since September, six dead Burrunan dolphins have been reported in the Gippsland Lakes and all of them showed similar discoloured ulcers on the skin's surface.

Finally after decades of research, Australian marine animal experts have been able to fully characterise the lesions and come up with a name for the condition — Fresh Water Skin Disease (FWSD).

So what is it?

Equivalent to human 'third degree burns'
Fresh Water Skin Disease occurs when there is a sudden increase of fresh water in a usually salty water system.

It then causes skin lesions on marine dolphins that can only survive in saltwater conditions.

So how does the climate change part come into it?
The good Vet Doctor Stephens goes on to say

Over time, the Gippsland Lakes have become more saline, due to a range of factors including years of drought.

Lead Researcher and Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology at Murdoch University, Nahiid Stephens said dolphins usually presented with the disease after heavy rain or a major storm.

"The Gippsland Lakes is a brackish to marine environment because it's open to the sea so although its source is a river, because of marine water mixing its actually quite salty," Dr Stephens said.Common to all FWSD discoveries globally, is a preceding extreme weather event like that seen in the United States after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Hurricane Harvey in 2017.

"What we know from comparing to similar situations across the world, is that these outbreaks always occur after sudden heavy rainfall, which makes us very concerned that we’re going to see an increase of FWSD in dolphins that live in low-lying areas and are vulnerable to worsening climate change," she said.

"If they're pushed to the brink we may lose them and they'll completely die out.

"We have to tackle the wicked problem of climate change which is multi-faceted and we also have to alleviate other threats to dolphins, because how many more wakeup calls do we need before it's too late?"

I don't know what quals a Vet doctor has in Climate science, but he obviously does not know a lot about the ecology of Fresh water lakes systems.
Firstly, the we have been constantly told that climate change has reduced the amount of rainfall along the eastern seaboard. So you would expect less fresh water to be coming down if that claim is correct.
Secondly, up until 1800, when the dredging started to permanently open the entrance of the lakes to the ocean, the lakes would have been almost always fresh unless there was a flood significant enough to gouge out a new entrance. The dolphins have most likely only made the lake their home after the entrance was made permanent, and the lakes became more saline because of it.
Thirdly, if we believe that the oceans are going to rise by metres, the lakes will be far more likely to be brackish than fresh, and thus be of benefit to the dolphins.
The science of determining the cause of lesions may well be correct.
The "science" of blaming climate change for causing these lesions would not pass grade three science lessons.

Mick

--------------------

rlane
post Posted: Jul 27 2020, 09:48 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: rlane's post @ Jul 20 2020, 11:51 AM

Morning All
Industrial giants Woodside, BHP and BlueScope Steel are among a coalition of businesses including financial heavyweights National Australia Bank and AustralianSuper that have signed on to an initiative aimed at stripping emissions from Australia’s supply chains.

Blackrock are listed as 'substantial shareholders' of BHP and BSL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-27/big-...ssions/12493424

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

rlane
post Posted: Jul 27 2020, 09:48 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: rlane's post @ Jul 20 2020, 11:51 AM

Morning All
Industrial giants Woodside, BHP and BlueScope Steel are among a coalition of businesses including financial heavyweights National Australia Bank and AustralianSuper that have signed on to an initiative aimed at stripping emissions from Australia’s supply chains.

Blackrock are listed as 'substantial shareholders' of BHP and BSL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-27/big-...ssions/12493424

rlane
post Posted: Jul 20 2020, 11:51 AM
  Quote Post

BlackRock Heats Up Climate Change Pressure On Boards
BlackRock announced that it voted against management at 53 companies worldwide (primarily in the energy sector) for “lack of progress” on climate concerns during the 2020 proxy season, and directed another 191 companies to take faster action. Those that do not make significant progress risk BlackRock voting against management in 2021. The report contains case studies of circumstances where BlackRock voted against directors due to significant concerns about climate risk management (e.g., lack of robust disclosures on management of climate risks).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelperegri...s/#28e67f6738cd

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

17 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING