Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

477 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

CRICKET
henrietta
post Posted: Feb 10 2019, 11:02 AM
  Quote Post

Anantha Narayanan has produced a very interesting and probably controversial set of statistics about test cricket. It's a bit hard to disagree with him as he has really come up with some useful statistical tools.
Here's the link

http://www.espncricinfo.com/cricket/story/...ls-test-cricket

Will try to paste in the article as well.

Enjoy the read ....... might fill in some time for you Mick.

Cheers
J

ps Have tried to paste the article, but the tables become all jumbled.

triage
post Posted: Feb 9 2019, 07:25 AM
  Quote Post

I've been really unimpressed and disinterested in the Big Bash this year. Seems I'm not alone with crowds down about 30% on last year. From the snippets I've read about it lots of lopsided games, lots of players not firing etc. Anyway last night I decided I should make the effort to watch some on the teeve and it happened that the underperforming Heat were playing one of the Melbourne sides. I sat down just as the Heat started batting. Bloody hell! There was some clean hitting on display with both batters scoring about 80 off 30 balls to finish the game within 10 overs. What a demolition job.

So I was lucky to witness probably the best 10 overs of BBL cricket this year (though the women's semi finals were pretty good as well).

Also, what a joke the national selectors are: Kurtis Patterson scored two centuries for Australia A and goes straight into the test side (fair enough). Matthew Wade totally dominates the entire BBL season and cannot even make the limited overs squad. One can only assume that the national selectors are protecting Tim Payne who apears to be a better captain than he is a cricketer. Surely Wade could be selected purely for his batting skills. A travesty imo.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 5 2019, 09:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Feb 4 2019, 10:21 PM

Thanks Gents,
Lucky it's my left shoulder, so the beer/wine/whiskey/G and T drinking arm is still in good order.
Typing with one finger is a pain. Took me half the day to write the cricket post.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

triage
post Posted: Feb 4 2019, 10:21 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Feb 4 2019, 06:46 PM

What EB said! biggrin.gif

Mick if you want to kill some hours SBS ondemand has heaps of kung fu shows on at the moment leading up to lunar new year.

(gong xi fa cai EB)

The worry I have with Mitchell Starc is that speed alone clearly is enough against the likes of the Sri Lankans but perhaps not against better batters. The Indians got into him a bit and he did not seem to rise to the occasion. But you'd have to keep picking him anyway as if nothing else he can clean up the tail.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

balance
post Posted: Feb 4 2019, 08:05 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Feb 4 2019, 02:46 PM

Just to echo EB's sentiments. Get well soon mate!
I've 2 shoulder jobs and they are by far the worst surgery I have had. They take so long to heal. Interminable physio and exercises. Can't lift much for a year. 6 or 7 weeks in a sling 24/7 except when showering.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

early birds
post Posted: Feb 4 2019, 06:46 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Feb 4 2019, 02:46 PM

Due to a shoulder reconstruction,
=============

hope you get well soon Mick! but you are too old for "rubbie" game aren't ya??
know the pain you are suffering but all bad---least you can spend more tome on screen like some us----hard workers! tongue.gif

take the easy mate!!

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 4 2019, 02:46 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Feb 4 2019, 01:05 PM

Well, I suppose we should be thankful to win a series against someone, even if it is the Sri Lankan seconds team.
Due to a shoulder reconstruction, I am stuck at home frustrated by the crap on TV. Lucky the cricket was on.
The bowling has been a strongest suite for some time, and with Stark looking like getting back to his lethal best, I have no worries about that aspect of the game.
I am sure that Richardson will be very effective with the Dukes ball in the UK.
Still so many question marks on the batting however.
In both innings of this test against a very raw attack, we started at 3 for less than 40. The first test was marginally better at 3-72 in the only innings.
Travis head has really improved, but still has these spurts of impetuosity.
Kurtis Patterson looked very much at home, though i suspect faster bowlers on quicker wickets are going to target his head.
He takes his eyes of the ball when hooking or evading the short ball.
It is not surprising he has been concussed more than once. South African Bowlers in particular will lick their lips.
Pain has been a steady rock , not getting flustered, and his keeping has been impeccable.
No waiting for a declaration to get a half century for himself, but generous enough to delay the second declaration to allow Kwaja to make a timely century.
Once he got past the scratchy start, Kawaja looked pretty good.
We can only hope this continues in the future.
If he does not have a big series in the UK, AUS will struggle.
Burns got a big score , but like so many of his Sheffield Shield compatriots, he plays too far in front of his body.
Against the swinging Dukes ball, its asking for trouble.
Noty sure about Harris,. has played some gutsy knocks.
Maybe he is like Travis Head, just needs a bit of time to develop.
Marnus whatshisname is having more success with his legspin than his batting.
Liked the way they came out today though, and was reasonably accurate.
And despite all this, Aus needed to bat only once in Brisbane, and declare for not many wickets twice in the capital.
Just shows how poorly the Sri Lankans performed.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 4 2019, 01:05 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Feb 4 2019, 08:54 AM

And Usman drops yet another .......

Cheers
J

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 4 2019, 08:54 AM
  Quote Post

Good to see Stark showing some form. IMHO all he needed was plenty of overs in match conditions, not being wrapped in cotton wool by the coaches. I like the look of Jhye Richardson, who might do well in England.

Usman Khawaja produced some meaningless runs when his test spot was on the line, and added yet another very poor missed slips catch, but I guess he'll get to England where he'll make one decent score and miss a few vital catches ..... very cynical of me I know, but Usman drives me to distraction !!

Pretty happy with our bowlers now, a good all-rounder would be handy if we could find one with some consistency ...... maybe Matt Renshaw !!!! He's getting a few out ( well actually only one ) in T-20 with his dodgy nothing balls !!!!!

Wonder if we can finish off the Sri Lankans today without too much trouble. Should be able to, but it's always a funny game isn't it.

Cheers
J

ps Greg Chappell leaving the scene I see. Not a great loss as a selector in my opinion.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  mullokintyre  

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 1 2019, 05:14 PM
  Quote Post

Great to see Joe Burns and Travis Head do well today. Sri Lankans didn't do themselves any favours in the field, and looked pretty ordinary. Usman got himself out again in very slack fashion and has to be ready for a demotion.
Great day for Canberrans, who looked as though they enjoyed themselves.

Cheers
J

477 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING