Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

162 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Australian Housing Crash, Has the bubble burst?
early birds
post Posted: Jul 9 2020, 01:08 PM
  Quote Post

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/realestate/...ars/ar-BB16vrEo

The latest data from Domain shows apartment rents dropped 3.2% over the June quarter, their largest fall in 15 years.
Melbourne, Sydney and Hobart led the plunge as shut borders hurt their tourism and international student markets and increased the number of long-term rentals.
House tenants in Melbourne and Hobart also saw substantial falls alongside those in Canberra, Brisbane, and Perth.

=====================

banks give another 4 months "mortgage holidays" that might soften the blow??? unsure.gif
but will add up to future pay up!!

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 8 2020, 12:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jul 8 2020, 11:20 AM

Yep, the inner city will become like ghettos. Only those who can least afford anything better will live there.
Glad i live in the country.

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Jul 8 2020, 11:20 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Jul 8 2020, 10:46 AM

Interesting times!! excl.gif
There seems to be several resets happening now. Especially for families, Covid has shown up the attraction of having your own property, and a back yard. The existence of a bit of extra space or, better, a spare room to enable working from home has come into its own. Some are liking the digital commute and thinking of regional cities. Apartments do not offer that, as we would expect.

Against this is the needs of the cities, that urbanisation cannot continue sprawling out. There is still a need for some form of what is termed densification with infilling and / or more apartments. Perhaps this will continue, with smaller structures being built. Can you imagine being in a structure without windows that open for a prolonged period of time (the 14 day quarantined emerge stir crazy). And another need has been for amenity, parks and playgrounds, space to move. Good planning (not an Australian forte) !!

Among the younger generation, my son reports his friends and peer group are taking advantage now the AirBnB offerings are empty, to move out of the grungy inner city terraces. Rents are down and the market dynamics have tilted towards those renters that are cashed up (a minority but sizeable); the move is to the beach side (Sydney) and bayside (Melb) locations that offer more. Because they can now afford these locations. Enough of rising damp and large nutter populations.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

early birds
post Posted: Jul 8 2020, 10:46 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/personalfin...mic/ar-BB16qmVp

BUYING AN APARTMENT
Koch said renters should be saving money on their rent, while prospective buyers looking for an apartment should hold off at least a year.

'Apartment property market, particularly in inner-city Sydney and Melbourne, is just awash with stock at the moment,' he said.

Referring to data from CoreLogic, Koch explained that 52 per cent of off-plan apartments in Sydney are settling with a valuation less than when they were bought.

'That's a really worrying trend in terms of the apartment market,' he said.

Koch said rent is coming down 'quite substantially' in inner-city Sydney and Melbourne.

'So if you're a renter, negotiate your rent down when it comes up and you'll get big discounts,' he said.

'If you're a buyer of residential apartments, maybe wait for 12 to 18 months because valuations are really starting to trend down now.'

================================

do your own research as always!!

early birds
post Posted: Jun 24 2020, 07:14 PM
  Quote Post

https://www.afr.com/property/residential/ap...20200622-p554xq

Apartment for sale listings are surging across capital cities, led by Sydney with a 39 per cent jump in new stock during the past four weeks, in a sign investors may be offloading properties in a weakening rental market.

Domain data shows that between the four weeks to May 17 and the four weeks to June 14, apartment listings rose by 27 per cent in Melbourne and were up by 15 per cent in Brisbane and 37 per cent in Perth.

Apartment for sale listings are surging as owners bail out. Graham Denholm

New apartment listings jumped by 43 per cent in Adelaide and were up by 4 per cent in Canberra.

Compared with a year ago, apartment listings in Sydney were up 8 percentage points, while Melbourne was higher by 2 percentage points.

Domain's senior research analyst, Nicola Powell, said the trend could be a sign investors are moving on.

--------------------------------

look out....... ohmy.gif

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rlane  boylep  

early birds
post Posted: Mar 27 2020, 10:48 AM
  Quote Post

come back to this issue, not really good for the residential property markets

https://www.afr.com/property/commercial/lan...20200327-p54efk

bleak out look for the sector.......

Featured Stock Stories

henrietta
post Posted: Oct 18 2019, 10:44 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 7 2019, 04:23 PM

We recently spent some time in Canberra visiting friends. To say that I was gobsmacked by the facilities offered would be an understatement.
Canberra has every possible known amenity, plus many not even thought of in "average" communities.
Having also spent many weeks traversing the country, including much of the outback, I can sympathise with country folk who claim they don't much of a deal.

Canberrans are very, very spoilt. Their only problem is the crappy weather !!

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

early birds
post Posted: Oct 18 2019, 08:43 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...uts-are-working

Interest rate cuts are supporting Australia’s economy and housing market, Reserve Bank governor Philip Lowe said.

“The economy has been through a very soft patch over the past year but it is actually gradually improving, the lower interest rates are working,” Lowe said during a panel event at the International Monetary Fund’s annual meetings in Washington.

================
he is right for the current housing rebound. it is the facts but...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2019/10/18/rba...ousing-rebound/

Deputy Governor Guy Debelle told a finance conference in Sydney that the slide in investment in the housing construction sector will weigh on the economy through next year but the recent rise in house prices won’t have the impact many people claim

He said while the bank was forecasting a further 7% drop in housing investment over the next year there was “some risk” the impact could be larger and wider than the bank forecasts.

“We are forecasting a further 7 percent decline in dwelling investment over the next year, and there is some risk the decline could be even larger. This will directly subtract around 1 percentage point from GDP growth from peak to trough, given that dwelling investment accounts for around 6 percent of GDP,” Dr. Debelle told the Sydney audience.

--------------------------------------

he is right as well..................

=============================

i guess we have to re adjust our P/O...................... unsure.gif

nipper
post Posted: Jun 7 2019, 04:23 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 7 2019, 02:34 PM

Buying something for $706k isn't necessarily silly; if it's the case of using a financing facility of, say, $500k, it definitely is.
PS Mick: when people ask why I live in Canberra, my answer is, "To get my taxes back".
PPS: Also the gooses that give Canberra a tarnished reputation come from your electorates. They merely meet here.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 7 2019, 02:34 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jun 7 2019, 12:42 PM

But back to the hard grind of reality I just saw that a very average 4 bed house with no usable garage and only one bathroom in an average Canberra suburb sold at auction the other day for $706k.
That is just silly.

I would have said that just living in Canberra was plain silly ......

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

162 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING