Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

193 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
nipper
post Posted: Sep 25 2020, 05:30 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Sep 25 2020, 04:40 PM

It is hard to ignore it, Mick. Unbelievable as it is. Wasn't it all about contracts for unionised companies (absolute scuttlebutt, I know, and also inclusive equal opportunity hiring with gender sensitivity and all that. Virus containment optional).

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 25 2020, 04:40 PM
  Quote Post

I don't know if people outside of Victoria have been following the Judicial Enquiry into the balls up that was the Hotel Quarantine that wasn't a quarantine, but I have had more than a passing interest.
We have had about four heads of departments and few underlings, three ministers, and now the Premier giving evidence.
And not one of them has been able to say who it was that gave the order to employ private security firms to contain the quarantined victims in the hotels.
It is the shoddy security that started this second wave, but nobody has owned up.
Its hard not to get the impression that the entire Victorian public service along with the ministers have been doing Sergeant Schultz impressions.
Now that all the duckshoving has taken place, and they have denied everything , I can only assume that the venerable judge will now call up the various security firms and ask who contacted them and who signed the invoices.
Then get that person on the stand and keep asking the question, who told you to do it.
Keep going up the chain until they find the person (or maybe an AI employee) who will admit to it, or until there is nobody higher up the chain.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  irish  myshares  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 24 2020, 12:35 PM
  Quote Post

Former ABC Journalist, Emma Alberici has announced a new gig with an Insurance Company.

From AFR

Almost a month since completing her departure from the ABC, ex-chief economics correspondent Emma Alberici has a new job. At multinational insurance comparison business Compare The Market, where she'll head up strategy and communications.

Unless I am mistaken, this org runs those clever ads with animated CG meerkats saying it is not "compare the meerkats". They even have their own website.

The business is owned by Budget UK.
Given Alberici's past difficulties with the comprehension of distinctions between profit and revenue, i wonder if she will do a number on the parent company and how little tax it pays in OZ??

Mick

--------------------

early birds
post Posted: Sep 17 2020, 10:50 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/mo...ies/ar-BB196N3W

The Morrison government is preparing to divert renewable energy funding away from wind and solar. An overhaul of Australia’s renewable energy agency will be announced today

===================

all interested group will come out of woodwork ----"blah blah ....." about it!!

henrietta
post Posted: Sep 15 2020, 07:56 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Sep 14 2020, 10:53 PM

Our equivalent is Canberra.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 14 2020, 10:53 PM
  Quote Post

Just so y'all know what the average US punter is up against.
Somewhat similar to OZ.
FromCongressional report
New congressional reporting released on July 22 shows that 147 out of 435 members of the U.S. House of Representatives are lawyers. Nearly half of the U.S. Senate is likewise made of lawyers.

The vast majority of remaining seats are occupied by professionals from the “business sector.” What few positions are left to claim are typically handed to former Congressional staffers – “keeping it in the family,” so to speak. Much media attention, rightly or wrongly, is paid to the gender and racial disparities that persist in the US legislature. There are other measurable markers, though – some arguably more relevant than gender or race – that betray the total lack of representation for the average American in the government.

The report paints a comprehensive image of who sits in the seat of elected power, what worldview they likely bring to the job, and, ultimately, what corresponding legislative agenda they will transform into public policy.

Unsurprisingly, the membership of Congress poorly resembles the population of Main Street USA. The chasm between the governing and the governed seems to grow by the year.

96% of Congress has a college education. In contrast, only 34% of the total US adult population has completed higher education. The average age of a US Senator is almost 63 years — while more than half of Americans are under 39 years old.

But the most damning read is the following.

Most indicative of all, as documented separately from the above-referenced report, more than half of Congressional members are millionaires. They invariably leave “public service” (if they ever do) substantially wealthier than when they arrived. More than being just “well-off,” several members with tens of millions in accumulated net worth qualify as economically elite. The spoils of the federal gravy train, as evidenced in the chart above, is distributed throughout the DC swamp in bipartisan fashion.

Since the days of economic optimism in the post-World War II era, American wealth has been slowly but steadily extracted from the working class for upward transfer to the ruling elites.

Worker productivity continues to climb while wages remain stagnant. The most jarring figure on the unfolding economic meltdown comes via the Federal Reserve: 40% of Americans can’t access $400 to cover emergency expenses.

The economic circumstances for the average American, while more materially comfortable, are now virtually indistinguishable from that of a 19th-century Russian serf in this regard: he or she is tied to dead-end work by decree of the nobility with little hope of a middle-class future.

This is the economic stuff of the Third World, but the reality of mass destitution now lives right here in American neighborhoods.

Los Angeles and New York – the two most populous cities in the United States and exhibitions of some of the most extravagant wealth anywhere on the globe — now rank #2 and #4 in homelessness worldwide, respectively, right alongside Third World behemoths like Mumbai, India and Manila, Philippines.
One of the most fundamental concepts in interpersonal psychology is that people identify and empathize with others who share similar traits.

It should come as no surprise, then, that Congress does not prioritize the well-being of the average American – they share no perceived common interests. A 2014 scientific, systematic survey of American political institutions by academics at Princeton University found that the US now functions as an inversion of democracy wherein public opinion matters not at all while the elite dictate policy.

Specifically, the researchers said:

“Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.”

Essentially, it is now a matter of settled social science that, in America in 2020, the unelected and widely despised likes of George Soros, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates write US law. Average Americans now rely on the non-existent benevolence and wisdom of unelected, sociopathic oligarchs for economic provision. It’s a recipe for disaster.
In an age where non-partisan, populist libertarianism is needed more than ever, such leaders rarely emerge out of the ranks of the attorney and business classes. Insincere opponents of “class warfare” will surely disagree, but true representation is impossible without representatives on the same rung of the socioeconomic ladder as their constituents.

The majority of members of Congress are millionaires; everyone they play golf with is a millionaire; they all take money from billionaires each election cycle as a matter of political survival.

While the American economy decays from coast to coast, the DC suburbs are thriving like never before. Per capita, 9 out of the 20 wealthiest counties in the US are now located there. The swamp is a gold mine for the creatures that populate it.

One need not object to the concept of becoming a financially secure millionaire to object to the increasing concentration of wealth at the very top of society – driven in large part by the legislative and enforcement agendas set forth by the lawyer-centric roster of nationally elected leadership. The gutting of democratic institutions did not happen overnight. Lawyers working on behalf of the ruling class incrementally hijacked the entire campaign financing system to give a permanent electoral advantage to the candidates that collect the most bribes from their corporate sponsors.

90% of the time, the Congressional candidates with more campaign cash win. 93% of House of Representatives incumbents return to power in the next election cycle. They often serve decades in power, accumulating riches and personal celebrity for themselves as compensation for orchestrating the systematic transfer of wealth to the top of the pyramid.

They do it through sweetheart tax deals for huge corporations, private-public business “partnerships,” military adventurism, union busting, and myriad other scams to transfer ever-greater concentrations of wealth into the hands of a tiny governing elite.

Loved that bit about 9 of the 20 wealthiest counties are in Washington D.C. A tiny area of 170 sq kilometres that makes it less than the size of Melbourne.
As I have said before, the BLM heroes have got all wrong, it be PLM - poor Lives Matter, cos thats the real problem.

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rlane  

Featured Stock Stories

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 12 2020, 01:05 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Sep 10 2020, 05:29 PM

So they caved in.
A totally unneccessary exercise that aciheved nothing, other than make themselves look like complete fools?
For the life of me I cannot see what my fellow regional cits see in these bunch of dorks.
This electorate at state level was forever a long standing NP fortress, but now thanks to the ineptitude of the NP Power Brokers, and a desire for some changes, we now have a reasonably capable female Independant member.
Federally, we were represented by an NP giant,, Black Jack Mcewan.
Protectionists for the landed gentry he was, but thats what the NP consitituents wanted.
Locally, we were represented for many years by another NP giant, Peter Ross Edwards.
Currently, DamienDrum is our local NP rep at federal level..
Nice enough sort of bloke, but is just a numbers man who goes with the flow.
Not sure if he has ever had an original thought of his own in his life.
The NP should get out of the coalition, they just don't have enough in common with the mostly city reps, nor in many respects, their electors.
Mick

--------------------

balance
post Posted: Sep 10 2020, 05:29 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Sep 10 2020, 04:56 PM

I hope Gladys sacks all of the Nats cabinet members. How can they sit on the cross bench and be in cabinet?

NSW doesn't have election until 2023. If an election was held tomorrow she'd romp home and probably take seats held by the Nats.

NSW labor is as good as non existent at present. Pity really. We need effective oppositions in all parliaments.

John "Pork" Barillaro really is a case of small man's syndrome. A treacherous little dickhead.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  henrietta  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 10 2020, 04:56 PM
  Quote Post

Some very interesting happenings on the political front.
Three QLD ministers have announced their retirements from pasrliamet this week.
Only one of them is in a marginal seat, so one might argue that its not a case of rats deserting a sinking ship.
But perhaps they don't fancy the opposition benches.
But with the sort of semi departure of Jackie Trad, it is hardly a good look for the QLD Government.
Then in NSW, the load mouthed egotistical fool John Barrilaro has pulled his 11 nats out of the coaltion.
Once again, not a good look for the NSW government.
I am betting that that by March 2022, we will have new parties in charge in Queensland, NSW, Victoria and Tasmania.
So its two Coalition govts and two Labour govts swapping.
Neither the WA or SA govts have done enough to warrant their outing.
NT have only just had an election, so it will take a little longer to see how they fare.
ACT have only had 3 liberal Chief ministers since irs inception in 1989, and I can't see that changing any time soon.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 7 2020, 11:43 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Mork's post @ Sep 7 2020, 11:09 AM

Suprisingly, Andrew Wakefield is the reputed boyfriend of none other than Elle Mcpherson.

Well the bloke has good taste in women at least.
Mick

--------------------

193 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING