Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Warren Buffett, News, articles, strategies, etc
nipper
post Posted: Dec 22 2020, 03:12 PM
  Quote Post

Speculators are playing with Fire. Investors, do not get burnt

https://www.livewiremarkets.com/wires/specu...don-t-get-burnt

I will put this informative article here, as WB gets a big mention.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rlane  

nipper
post Posted: Jan 1 2018, 07:43 PM
  Quote Post

Warren Buffett bet $US1 million in 2007 that an index fund would outperform a basket of hedge funds over a decade. The proceeds would go to charity

When the closing bell rang at the New York Stock Exchange Friday, the famed investor locked in his victory.

Mr Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, had said throughout the year that he was confident he would win.

From the start of the bet through the end of 2016, Mr Buffett’s S & P 500 index fund returned 7.1 per cent compounded annually. The competing basket of funds of hedge funds selected by asset manager Protégé Partners returned an average of 2.2 per cent.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

arty
post Posted: Jan 25 2011, 11:27 PM
  Quote Post

Just received Warren Buffet's Secrets as a Powerpoint Presentation.

Download it from my website: http://rettmer.com.au/TrinityHome/Xamples/...sageWBuffet.pps

Enjoy.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

arty
post Posted: Jan 13 2011, 12:24 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Jenny's post @ Apr 12 2010, 11:06 PM

Hi Jenny,

Buffet can because he has virtually unlimited funds; anybody else, whose funds are not in that category - which covers probably everybody that has the time to visit this forum - is far better off following what the Big Guy does.

On another forum, a very experienced and respected member put it this way (and I asked for and got his permission to quote him):

When Buffett sees opportunity like the AMEX case, he can buy in such quantity ..and he now needs to.. that he can turn back the tide of fear. And happy doing it he is too....

Can you ? IF not, then you run the risk of buying too early..

Say you saw the Amex opportunity... And you wade in the mkt to buy 100 shares .. and after you finished buying what will happen ?
Is it likely you could have bought cheaper ?

Contrarian works best near the turning points. But then its called good timing ( I am not talking about perfect timing )

Mr Mkt might want to sell 1,000,000,000s of shares. Now If you only want 100, you are not Mr Buffett Today - You are maybe Mr Buffett when he was just starting out, with limited capital and no worry about getting filled.

In Buying 100 shares it is not smart to fade Mr market, You have to work a bit more in harmony with him.
And when he is exhausted - Time your moves a little smarter

You have to be more a "Hitch Hiker" and less a mover and shaker who decides now is the time to buy and buys his 100 shares without taking a little more care

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Jenny
post Posted: Apr 12 2010, 11:06 PM
  Quote Post

WARREN BUFFETT buys when the stock is low, and sell when high

simple theory, but done wisely which accounts for his success smile.gif

jacsar
post Posted: Apr 6 2010, 05:41 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Apr 5 2010, 12:10 PM

Simple rule of 72...carry in head no calculators needed....google

mpl
post Posted: Apr 5 2010, 05:36 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Apr 5 2010, 05:16 PM

Flower

You have ONLY one problem with that reply.

What happens between Nov 07 & March 09 ?.

Does that count as year to smell the Rose's or does one use the full availability of trading the Market BOTH ways ?.

Or does one limit one self to long only & miss out on 18 fantastic months of opportunity ?.

flower
post Posted: Apr 5 2010, 05:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Apr 5 2010, 12:10 PM

Well--Bounce my golden spheres!!!!

Why bother compounding???

A.N. Other has a $1million SMSF. A portion is held in cash earning 5%.

The rest he has in a handfull of gold and oil stocks--this financial year.

Now A.N.Other doesnt believe in mucking around--he goes in relatively big.

His trading plan has an aim of returning 30% annually on the non interest bearing part of the SMSF

A.N. Other has had a good year thus far, he invested $100,000 each in 6 gold/oil stocks early in July 2009.

Those stocks are: LGL, NCM, ESG, TRY, CVN, BRU (very experienced MD) to date his SMSF is up 20%.

Had A.N. Other not included CVN in that mix his SMSF would be up 34%. (tax free!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a little light relief folks--it can be done---leaving time to smell the roses!!!
Maths could be slightly adrift but you'll get the gist of it.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Apr 5 2010, 12:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Mar 21 2010, 10:27 AM

Re: Compounding

For all, who wish to keep compounding annual profits, I've been playing with some figures and remembered an old hypothetical:

One Dollar invested at 5% annual compound interest at the time Christ was born
(presumably as His College Fund) would today be worth - how much? (As it turns out, being the Son of God, He knew everything, so the Policy was never cashed in.)

Now - have a guess at the result.
Start with 14 years: that's how long it takes to double the principal at 5% compound interest.
Multiply that by 10 (2-to-the-10th is 1024) and you find, after 141 years, you have $1,000.
How much after 2010 years? Divide 2010 by 141 and you get 14.25; times 3 (zeroes in 1000) gets you 10-to-the-43rd.

That's an unimaginable figure; let's reduce the zeroes by converting it into Gold at $1110/oz or $35.69 per gram.
Still an awesome number: 109 followed by 39 zeroes.
Make that metric tons: 109 followed by 33 zeroes.

Now divide it by gold's specific gravity 19.32 t per cubic meter: 5649 followed by 30 zeroes.
Knocking off 9 zeroes turns it into 5649 cubes at 1000m base = 5649 with 21 zeroes cubic kilometers.

At 12,728 km median diameter, the Earth's volume contains a tad over 1 Trillion cubic kilometers.
That turns our initial $1 roughly into 5.25 Trillion golden balls, each the size of our Earth.

Or, if that's still too unimaginable, take the Sun with a mean diameter of 1.382 Million kilometers.
Result: 4 Million solid golden spheres the size of our Sun. (Actually, it's 4,000,009 Suns. Keep the change smile.gif )

PS: At his alleged average rate of 30%, Warren Buffet would need just under 374 years to finish in the same ball park with 4 Million Suns of Gold.
Oops - no, the 30% are not WB's, but flower's trading results, using only a handful of gold and oil stocks...

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Mar 21 2010, 10:27 AM
  Quote Post

For all who wish (or pretend) to invest like WB:
In today's syndicated blog, Marcus Padley dispels some myths and hoopla about "The Great Man" smile.gif

http://www.businessday.com.au/business/buf...00319-qmc0.html

--------------------

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING