Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

85 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

USD, American Dollar Discussion
Mags
post Posted: Jan 4 2021, 08:03 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 2 2021, 10:40 AM

We are on that path: No doubt.
But I suspect he's premature.
As I've watched over the last 20 years, bubbles (in this case, faith in the currency) last far beyond what any 'sane' person believes possible: Our Australian Housing bubble being the most astounding thing I've ever seen: Even in the face of a first recession in 30 years, the deepest on record, the worst unemployment on record, and the chance of rates for borrower lowering further are near zero: House prices continue to RISE!!!!!
And I believe this is why currency collapses are so sudden and spectacular: most people can't believe it will happen, until it does.
I agree with jacsar: Gold could be the trade of our lifetimes at present.
My position is all in: All in on:Profit spewing companiesCritical InfrastructureCash/liquid equivalents
The 'crash' of 2020 wasn't complete: There was never the panic of 2009 or the dot com era: I didn't see people panicking about their future: there was no despair.
I'm poised to scoop up the bargains when they come: My 'trader' mate tells me it's 2021 that it will come.Then we'll see the most outrageous boom in asset prices.... all due to government and central bank interference of course (capitalism and the real economy are long dead).
Then by the end of the decade it all falls apart: Properly. In a way 95% of people simply can not understand or believe is possible: They are so used to the government and central banks rescuing them, they will scream in the streets for help: But it will be too late: We will have past the point of new $$$$ being able to create the illusion of growth or stability.
Their house prices and their superannuation accounts will be steaming piles of worthless gunk, that they won't be able to off load.
And it's all on track: Doesn't matter if you're a 4th turning guy, or a jefferson guy "first by inflation, then deflation, the children will find themselves homeless".... The only theory doesn't have this collapsed ending is MMT... and don't get me started on that rot: There's nothing modern about governments printing and spending money they don't have.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

jacsar
post Posted: Jan 3 2021, 09:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 2 2021, 10:40 AM

The ghost of John Law is relevant 300 yrs later...cheers....and I will take gold, thank you

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 2 2021, 10:40 AM
  Quote Post

From Goldmoney

The most important event in the new year is likely to be the Fed losing control of its iron grip on markets. The dollars declining trend is already well established against other currencies and commodities, leading to this outcome.

Events in 2021 will be the consequence of a developing hyperinflation of the dollar. Foreign holders of dollars and dollar assets currently totalling $27.7 trillion are sure to increase the pace of reducing their exposure. This is a primal threat to the Feds policy of using QE to continually inflate assets in the name of promoting a wealth effect and continuing to finance a rapidly increasing federal government deficit by supressing interest rates.

Bubbles will then pop, leaving establishment investors exposed to a combined collapse of fiat currencies, bonds and equity markets, which could turn out to be very rapid. The question remaining is what will replace collapsing fiat currencies: limited issue distributed ledger cryptos, such as bitcoin, or precious metals, such as gold?

The above quote is but a synopsis of the rather long article, but well worth a read IMHO.
I am not convinced about the conclusions , that Gold will be paramount over the other asset classes, I think there is an equal chance that Bitcoinn or some other VC will be paramount, I just don't know.

To be forced to raise more through monetary inflation than by taxation in one year is unfortunate, but to have to do it two years on the trot is venturing down the path to hyperinflation

One of the interesting charts is the increases in commodities and other asset classes since the trigger point in March.
The cryptos have been many timers more successful than anything else.
The Commodities choses have all outstripped gold in the time frame, and gold has in turn outstripped the other major currencies.
If the CB's decide to all go down the crypto path, I can't see how they will not be tempted to merely make them a digital fiat currency.
I can see bigger increases for both gold and BTC.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Dec 24 2020, 02:46 PM
  Quote Post

Was more than a little surprised at the rally of the USD in recent days.
Its not like the fundamentals are anything to write home about.
Apart from the massive deficits the US government is running (and about to increase by 2 trillion if congress gets its way), the COVID induced decline in jobs, US consumer confidence taking a battering, and US home sales declined last month, everything is rosy.
Just can't seem to work out reasons for the love for the USD.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Dec 22 2020, 01:36 PM
  Quote Post

From Chuck Butlers daily email
I read last week that Twenty-five percent (25% or 1/4 ) of all US Dollars to ever be in existence were created in the last nine months. And thats before they added another $900 Billion!

I decided to check on this one, and the closest I could get to was the graph at The Street that suggested 23.6% of all USD in history were created in the past year.
Reasonably close to Chucks claim.
MIck

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rlane  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Dec 17 2020, 08:53 PM
  Quote Post

Hoping that the AUD Vs USD can get to 80 cents.
Now above 76, so is on the march.
Will be buying a few thou USD as a hedge, or as spending money to the US if international travel ever gets going.
Mick

--------------------

bg99
post Posted: Apr 9 2020, 04:51 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 9 2020, 08:48 AM

with a fairly large symmetrical triangle concluding, a large move one way or the other should materialise imminently
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 9 2020, 08:48 AM
  Quote Post

From my fav currency guru, Chuck Butler, from the Daily Pfennig newsletter

The currencies had a good day yesterday, adding onto their gains from the night before… I have to say that this is the first time I’ve seen a good trading day for the currencies following good overnight trading for the currencies, in what seems like a month of Sundays! I’ll tell you one thing, economists and analysts are split down the middle, with ½ of them saying the dollar is King, will remain King, no questions asked, and the other ½ of them saying that once the Oil contracts begin to take the dollar out of the picture, and trading countries us their own currencies, then the trap door springs on the dollar, and suddenly, everyone begins to fret about all the debt the U.S. accumulated….

So, go ahead and pick your side…. I’m of the opinion that we’re going to see a change in the financial system, and that dollars won’t play as big a part as they do now…. This has been going on for some time now folks…. You see, the Fed, was bailing out foreign entities, without Congress or the public knowing about it, back in 2008…. Well, the President has put a stop to that, and even with the Fed’s new Unlimited amount that they can buy, they had better make sure it’s only from U.S. Corporations/ banks…. This lack of dollars overseas has become a real problem… There’s a ton of dollar denominated debt coming due overseas, and they don’t have enough dollars to pay them off…. So, what will these foreign entities do? They will search for ways to go around dollars, so that this never happens again…. Uh-oh….. And that will be the beginning chip to be thrown on the poker table, that will lead to a big pot, that causes a collapse of our financial system…. I’m just saying…

From NY TIMES
HONG KONG — Companies in the Asia Pacific need to raise a near record $69.3 billion to refinance their existing borrowings in the second quarter, Refinitiv figures show, as the region's capital markets remain turbulent due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The level of U.S. dollar corporate debt due to mature in the region, including Japan and China, is the second highest on record and only slightly behind the $71.4 billion that was due during the same time last year.

Some of China's largest state-owned enterprises are the leading contenders to refinance debt with oil giant Sinopec Group, which has a 5-year bond worth $2.48 billion maturing in April while power utility State Grid has a three-year $898.5 million bond expiring at the same time, according to Refinitiv.

The data shows a Soft Bank Group bond worth $2.48 billion due to mature on April 18, and the conglomerate flagged it planned to carry out $41 billion worth of asset sales to buy back shares and pay down debt.

Of course the other option is to default on Debt. According to the WSJ, Lebanon is about to do just that

Lebanon said it would default on its dollar-denominated debt, intensifying the Middle Eastern state’s financial turmoil and setting up a possibly messy negotiation with foreign investors.

Beirut’s failure to honor its massive debt load was long expected and not related to the economic turmoil caused by the coronavirus outbreak. But it comes at a time when the global financial system is on edge.

Argentina may well follow suit fromBuenos Aries

Argentina is already admitting that it cannot meet its original March 31 deadline for debt restructuring, the Bloomberg news agency reported Friday, saying the government intends to roll it over until May 7, when a major payment of US$ 1.4 billion falls due.recent series of conversations between bondholders and government officials have converged towards that date as the moment of truth for avoiding default, according to sources privy to those meetings.

Restructuring talks could stretch to the end of May or even several months in a context of global crisis and coronavirus, according to other sources.

Furthermore, there are fears that continually plunging bond values will eventually place them in the hands of the holdouts – more commonly known in Argentina as the los fondos buitre, or “vulture funds.”

A payment of US$ 1.9 billion to the Paris Club will also be falling due in May but the government is confident that an extension can be negotiated, Bloomberg reported.

And from the Institute of International Finance
The following is a quote, but the SS limits the numbers of block of quoted texts.

Global debt across all sectors rose by over $10 trillion in 2019, topping $255 trillion. At over 322% of GDP, global debt is now 40 percentage points ($87 trillion) higher than at the onset of the 2008 financial crisis—a sobering realization as governments worldwide gear up to fight the pandemic.

FX debt in EMs now exceeds $5.3 trillion. Excluding China, FX debt makes up 20% of EM debt outside the financial sector.

Over $20 trillion of global bonds and loans come due through end-2020; $4.3 trillion of that in EMs. Emerging markets will need to refinance $730 billion in FX debt through end-2020.
COVID-19 SPOTLIGHT:
With the COVID-19 fiscal response in full swing, the global debt burden is set to rise dramatically in 2020; gross government debt issuance soared to a record high of over $2.1 trillion last month, more than double the 2017-19 average of $0.9 trillion.

As social distancing becomes the norm across most mature economies, global recession looms: a recession which would begin with $87 trillion more in global debt than at the onset of the 2008 financial crisis.

Using a simple top-down estimation, if net government borrowing doubles from 2019 levels—and there is a 3% contraction in global economic activity (nominal terms)—the world’s debt pile would surge from 322% of GDP to over 342% this year.

Just another reason to be wary.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 16 2020, 08:32 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Mar 16 2020, 07:59 AM

and now on the opening this morning, the AUD HAS fallen 100 points from the overnight 62.47 to 61.23, and gold is up 20.
Gold is still above 2500 in AUD terms.
Can't see why those goldies won't have some sort of rally.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 16 2020, 07:59 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Dec 12 2019, 08:02 AM

It was only dec 12 last year I said

So, the FEd says rates are staying where they are, and ;ottle chance of them moving in 2020.
So what happens, the USD falls 1% against the AUD, gold and silver both up, and the DOW up by a few cents.
One assumes the market expected another rate cut, and don't look like getting one any time soon.

We hasve already had one emergency cut this month, and last night we get another from ABC News

The US Federal Reserve has slashed interest rates by a full percentage point to nearly zero as it aims to help the economy withstand the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The move puts the benchmark US interest rate in a range of 0 to 0.25 per cent, effectively bringing it to zero.

The Fed also said it was re-starting "quantitative easing," in a bid to get money flowing again in markets and the broader economy.

The Fed vowed to "use its full range of tools" to support the economy and the "smooth functioning of markets".

"In light of these [coronavirus] developments, the Committee decided to lower the target range for the federal funds rate to 0 to 1/4 percent," the Fed said in a statement.

The Australian dollar fell to 62.47 US cents after the announcement, which is the second emergency rate cut this month.

I think the ABC actually meant to say rose to 62.47 cents.
Just a small error.
Mick

--------------------

85 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING