Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Water
nipper
post Posted: Sep 27 2019, 07:13 PM
  Quote Post

"If the wars of this century were fought over oil, the wars of the next century will be fought over water."

World Bank vice president Ismail Serageldin made this much quoted prediction for the new millennium in 1995

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 27 2019, 04:49 PM
  Quote Post

Access to water one of miners’ biggest challenges ahead — study
Cecilia Jamasmie | September 26, 2019
Stricter environmental regulations and changing climate patterns resulting in the worst droughts in more than half a century have multiplied the mining industry’s challenges to secure water supplies, Moody’s Investors Service says in a new report.

Despite successful efforts to manage water usage more efficiently, increasingly tougher environmental rules are hiking miners’ costs and risks, particularly to those operating in arid regions or close to populated communities.

“Many countries, including Peru, Chile, Australia, South Africa and Mongolia have large mining operations exposed to decreasing water availability,” Moody’s senior vice president, Carol Cowan says. “In the next 20 years, all of these countries will be in the high to extremely high ratio of water withdrawals to supply, which will make it difficult for companies to secure reliable sources.”

Squeezing water rights
Chile, the world’s largest copper producer and No.2 global source of lithium, is just one of many jurisdictions where miners will soon have to deal with broader water use restrictions.

The nation’s water authority, DGA, announced earlier this year that it would more than double the number of so-called prohibition areas across the country to at least 70 from 30. No new licenses will be awarded within prohibition zones and any extension to existing mining permits will need to be approved by environmental authorities.

At the same time, companies’ demand for water is expected to jump 12% through 2029 as ore grades decline, forcing miners to process more material to maintain production levels.
Miners have responded by building large desalination plants, which is expected to more than triple seawater use in the country, Chile’s copper commission (Cochilco) predicts.

Miners’ hurdles are exacerbated when using the ground and surface water that local communities rely on. This has resulted in social unrest and prompted stricter norms and permitting processes.

Protests across the globe, including in Peru, Mexico, Armenia, Australia and the US over the last few years, have caused delays in the construction of new mines or in the expansion of existing ones.

Large miners better prepared
In Moody’s opinion, higher capital spending and operational costs associated with securing reliable water supply will be better managed by large, globally diversified firms.

The world’s No. 1 miner BHP already gets more than 40% of the water it needs from the ocean. The miner spent $3.43 billion on a desalination plant for its Chilean Escondida mine, which includes two pipelines to transport the water 3,200 meters above sea level.
The miner has also committed to stop using fresh water drawn from the surface and underground in Chile by 2030.

Southern Copper’s long delayed $1.4-billion Tía Maria project includes plans for a desalination plant that would cost about $100 million. The facility is expected to ease protesters concerns about the proposed mine’s use of local surface and ground water.

Other companies are more focused on using recycled water by capturing what is used in the various parts of the process, such as in tailings dams, by treating and reusing it.

“With water levels expected to continue depleting, smaller mining companies with limited financial flexibility may face increased costs related to water procurement over time,” Cowan says.

Other than their high cost, desalination plants pose an additional worry to miners related to the waste they generate. That product — brine — is usually pumped back into the reservoir where the water was taken from. This causes an imbalance in the overall water composition, which is harmful to the environment within the sourcing body.

https://www.mining.com/access-to-water-one-...es-ahead-study/
Attached File(s)
Attached File  water_stress_by_country_map_1024x759.jpg ( 81.48K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Sep 26 2019, 09:59 AM
  Quote Post

Australia may have to consider multi-billion-dollar schemes to counter droughts lasting 30 years, including turning big coastal rivers back inland, new desalination plants and massive new dams.

The warnings from NSW water tsar Jim Bentley and water infrastructure consultant Kevin ­Werksman came with the revelation that the state government is close to pushing the button on a plan to double the capacity of Sydney’s $2.3bn desalination plant.

“We are going to move forward with the desal plant,” Dr Bentley told a Committee for Economic Development of Australia gathering in Sydney on Wednesday. While the desalination plant can provide for 15 per cent of ­Sydney’s water consumption, the state government was looking to double its capacity. There would be other spending on water infrastructur­e in other areas, Dr Bentley said. This included raising the height of the Wyangala Dam in the state’s central west to double its capacity at a cost of $650m.

An engineer who has worked in Britain and New Zealand, among other countries, for big public and private water bodies and also in ­academia, Dr Bentley is chief executive officer, water, in the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.

Apart from dams and the desalination plant, he said, there would also be spending “on the other side of the equation”, to make more use of downstream water resources.

One of the core components is the recovery of waste water and uses for it,” Dr Bentley said.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Sep 24 2019, 04:33 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 20 2019, 01:45 PM

and will add:
Purifloh (PO3), formerly Water Resources Group Limited, supplies and treats potable water for industrial and municipal applications primarily in Australia and the United States. The company specializes in water treatment technologies and services, including ground water treatment, desalination, and ozone production technology. PO3 is also moving into the area of air cleaning, through Bluemist, which provide two separate product streams, being air purification and surface sterilisation. Technology: free radical generation... water treatment, air and surface sterilisation. Market Cap $150mill

SciDev Ltd (SDV), formerly Intec Ltd, is involved in the development and commercialization of wastewater treatment technology for treatment of industrial waste including the manufacture and supply of chemicals for the treatment of wastewater. Technology; chemicals .... Coagulants and flocculants for wastewater treatment and sludge dewatering. Market Cap $33mill

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Sep 20 2019, 01:45 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Apr 6 2019, 06:57 AM

of the three small-caps in Water related activities, since this article appeared (April this year) one has done really well, one OK and one reverting to longer term

Phoslock Environmental Technologies Limited (PET, formerly Phoslock Water Solutions Limited) provides water technologies and solutions for lake restoration, reservoir managements and water quality management in storm water ponds.
Mentioned at 39c, now $1.39 due somewhat to making moves into China and gaining accreditation there.

De.mem Limited (DEM) is a Singaporean-Australian de-centralised water and waste water treatment business that designs, builds, owns and operates water and waste water treatment systems for its clients. Established in 2013, the company has offices in Singapore, Perth (Australia), Brisbane (Australia), and Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam). .
Mentioned at 14c, now 19c.

Fluence Corporation Limited (FLC, formerly Emefcy Group Limited) is provider of decentralized water, wastewater treatment and reuse solutions for both municipal and industrial applications across the world.
Mentioned at 56c, now 43c (has been bouncing around he low-mid 40s for close to 2 years)

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Sep 20 2019, 12:34 PM
  Quote Post

Drought D-day looms
Production cuts will be required within nine months at the Northparkes copper and gold mine unless soaking rain or the construction of new pipelines across New South Wales can solve the mine's water needs.

Severe drought and low flows in the Murray-Darling river system have forced Northparkes to rely mostly on groundwater, and managing director Hubert Lehman said that was unlikely to be sustainable beyond June 2020 if the drought conditions persist.

''July next year will really be D-day for us in terms of whether we actually cut production if there is not substantial rain,'' he told The Australian Financial Review.

''The general feedback from the (Parkes Shire) Council is that June next year would be the time where you possibly would sit with a situation that the department that manage the groundwater resources would basically say 'these borefields, you can't use any more water from them'. "It is almost an on or off approach with the borefields, so we might have a situation by July next year that we are in crisis".

https://www.afr.com/companies/mining/drough...20190916-p52rp2

... some hard decisions needing to be made. Just as well our young'uns have it in hand. (as long as it only affects others' hip pockets)

--------------------

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

nipper
post Posted: Apr 6 2019, 06:57 AM
  Quote Post

Three water quality plays (one seems flush, the others may go down the gurgler):
https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2019/04/04/thr...fication-market

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

blacksheep
post Posted: Dec 12 2018, 08:09 PM
  Quote Post

Harvard Quietly Amasses California Vineyards—and the Water Underneath
Making a bet on climate change, the university’s $39 billion endowment has been snapping up farmland and the related water rights

Harvard’s bet has proven prescient. The $39 billion fund, among America’s biggest endowments, now values its vineyards at $305 million, up nearly threefold from in 2013, while its overall natural-resources investments have done poorly.

In a warming planet, few resources will be more affected than water, as more-frequent droughts, storms and changes in evaporation alter a flow critical for drinking, farming and industry.

Even though there aren’t many ways to make financial investments in water, investors are starting to place bets. Buying arable land with access to it is one way. In California’s Central Coast, “the best property with the best water will sell for record-breaking prices,” says JoAnn Wall, a real-estate appraiser who specializes in vineyards, “and properties without adequate water will suffer in value.”

Investors who see agriculture as a proxy for betting on water include Michael Burry, a hedge-fund investor whose wager against the U.S. housing market was chronicled in the book and movie “The Big Short.” In a 2015 New York Magazine interview, Mr. Burry was quoted as saying: “What became clear to me is that food is the way to invest in water. That is, grow food in water-rich areas and transport it for sale in water-poor areas.” Mr. Burry declined to comment.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/harvard-quietl...=trending_now_1

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Sep 16 2018, 10:30 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/w...438ebffb58fc95c

D2O, WBA, SHV

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 6 2018, 04:01 PM
  Quote Post

An interest read - The day they turned off the taps - http://aheadoftheherd.com/Newsletter/2018/...ff-the-taps.pdf

Conclusion
Our world’s most precious resource, water, is in danger from rising temperatures
due to human-caused or natural global warming. The changes are so gradual that
most of us don’t even notice they’re happening. What does it matter if the sea
rises a few centimeters a year, or if the aquifers are losing groundwater? It
matters because we interfere with nature at our peril.

As we stated at the top, of all the water on Earth, less than 1% is fresh - found in
underground aquifers, lakes and rivers. It’s actually very little, and it doesn’t take
much to throw the entire system into chaos. We rely on aquifers not only for
drinking water, but to irrigate land and grow crops. Saudi Arabia is a good
example of a country that over-pumped its water supplies so much that it can no
longer produce its own food. Droughts caused by a warming planet are getting
more frequent and lasting longer. Combine depleting aquifers and saltwater
intrusion with desertification, and you have a recipe for crop failure, leading to
food insecurity, higher food prices, starvation, mass dislocations of populations
and possibly even wars. The next time you fill a glass of water from your tap at
home, think of where it came from, and how much is left.

--------------------

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING