Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >   

Reply to this topic

ALU, ALTIUM LIMITED
blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 10 2019, 11:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Jul 24 2019, 02:15 PM

ALU gets a mention here - https://www.theage.com.au/business/companie...808-p52f3d.html
extract
Another tech darling Altium, which plans to dominate the rather obscure but lucrative world of design software for printed circuit boards, is worth a billion dollars more than JB Hi-Fi.

That is despite Altium reporting a profit roughly one-seventh that of JB Hi-Fi's $234 million.

The long term price to earnings ratio for S&P 500 shares is around the 15 mark. Which means that investors have generally been willing to pay $15 on the share price of a company for every dollar of profit.

Atlassian, the Nasdaq-listed software group founded by tech billionaires Mike Cannon-Brookes and Scott Farquhar, reported in July that its revenue had finally exceeded $US1 billion for the financial year just ended.

The company is valued at $US33 billion after the recent share price fall. It means investors are paying $33 for every dollar of revenue it generates.

Total short positions as at 5/8/19 = 0.43%
https://www.shortman.com.au/stock?q=alu
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 24 2019, 02:15 PM
  Quote Post

Extract - Why the best performing hedge fund is selling - LHC is LONG ALU

Other long positions include ASX-listed payments company iSignthis, and high flying tech stock Altium.

https://www.afr.com/business/banking-and-fi...20190723-p529t2
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Feb 18 2019, 05:45 PM
  Quote Post

Altium Limited (ASX: ALU) reported its half-year results for the period ending December 31 2018.

[With comparisons to the prior corresponding half (all figures in US$).]
Revenue of $78.4 million, up 24%
Net profit of $23.4 million, up 57%
EBITDA margin increased from 30% to 36.3%
Reported expenses of $49.8 million, up 12%
Earnings per share of 18 cents, up 57%
Interim dividend of A$0.16, up 23%
China revenue of $9.66 million, up 49%

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Jun 22 2018, 12:21 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: right edge's post @ Jun 21 2018, 09:51 PM

Seems mighty expensive.

Agree - too expensive for my taste even though analysts/media reckon it's got further to go. But then I recall similar recommendations made re BIG un not that long ago - see this extract I posted else where.

The Big Un Ltd share price is up over 1,500% this year
Considering its cash profit margin was approximately 37% in the first-quarter, this could mean a cash profit of almost $30 million in FY 2018. In light of this, I continue to believe there is still meaningful upside for its shares over the next 12 months and would consider it to be one of the best tech shares on the market at the moment alongside the likes of Altium Limited (ASX: ALU) and Aconex Ltd (ASX: ACX).

--------------------

right edge
post Posted: Jun 21 2018, 09:51 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Jun 12 2018, 08:41 PM

Lots of good news baked into the cake.
EPS of 22c and trading at $25.00
Seems mighty expensive.

blacksheep
post Posted: Jun 12 2018, 08:41 PM
  Quote Post

ALU received a favourable mention in this article recently.
3-D PRINTING STOCKS POISED FOR RECOVERY
By Tony Featherstone
Wed 06 June 2018 08:15 AM

extract
Software star Altium is a better way for long-term investors to play the 3-D printing trend. The developer of electronic circuit board software is not a 3-D printing stock, but its software, used to design electronics for devices produced through 3-D printing, is leveraged to the trend.

Altium is eyeing a tiny slice of a US$2-trillion market for on-demand electronic design and manufacturing, produced via 3-D printing.

It is early days, but Altium could provide free software to retail product designers, such as university students, who design electronic circuit boards for product prototypes that are manufactured on-demand. Then receive a small fee from the product manufacturer – a fascinating business model if it works, given expected growth in 3-D printing and on-demand production for small-scale runs.

Altium is not cheap. The stock trades on a forward price-earnings (PE) multiple of about 50 times on some broker estimates. But the well-run Altium is justifying its valuation through faster-than-expected growth, reflected in its recent result that beat market expectations.

https://www.nabtrade.com.au/investor/insigh...rinting_stocks0
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

djam
post Posted: Dec 4 2008, 04:41 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: fredsmart on Tuesday 15/07/08 09:56pm

Hi Fred,

Read the latest announcements and outlooks by the company.

The future looks bright even if they do half what they say they
can.

They just released a new version this week, Winter 2009.

Here is a link to a cool video they are promoting a lot at the
moment.

http://nextgenerationelectronicsdesign.com video

Regards,
djam

Said 'Thanks' for this post: fredsmart  

fredsmart
post Posted: Jul 15 2008, 09:56 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: djam on Monday 05/11/07 03:01pm

Does anyone have anyone have any recent information or insights on this company? The design concept is interesting, the revenue growth is impressive, and the reach is global. Profits, however, have not yet eventuated.

If anyone has any thoughts on this company, I would love to hear them.

djam
post Posted: Nov 5 2007, 03:01 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: philr on Tuesday 30/10/07 08:49pm

There was an article in the SMH last week also, this
is not announcement material for ALU. NASA does
add some interest, but they are growing their share
of the market at a good rate and have been for years
now, its just another sale at the end of the day, many
large companies use Altium Designer. The good part is,
once a company locks into an EDA product, they do so
for the long term, as it costs much more to change
products then it does to buy the software itself.

Still buying a few from time to time, but I'm mostly
just holding long term.

Cheers.

philr
post Posted: Oct 30 2007, 08:49 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: YChromozome on Tuesday 30/10/07 05:41pm

Thanks for your reply but I was mainly wondering why there was no market announcement just something on their website. Surely a deal like this should be reported on the asx?

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING