Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

51 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Tax questions (before paying an advisor), Any experience/knowledge on these issues please?
shiraz1654
post Posted: Apr 5 2011, 06:56 AM
  Quote Post

I have just received payment from AMP from my AXA shares how are the $ received treated tax wise and what costbase do I use for my new AMP shares
thanks

mercury
post Posted: Mar 1 2011, 11:35 AM
  Quote Post

If you accumulate 6000$ in franking credits but sell stock in under 45 days...does the ATO give you credit for 5000$ and not the extra 1000$ or is it
that if you go over 5000$ you MUST keep all stock over 45days to get those credits.??
Thanks
Merc

bam_bamm
post Posted: Dec 30 2010, 11:57 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Dec 30 2010, 11:50 AM

BHP is the one in question for me, i just cant recall in which years i acquired about a quarter of my holding.
i might be able to track when i got some more through some old dividend slips (if i can find those.) i might just take the average price for that particular year or something.

cheers arty smile.gif

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Dec 30 2010, 11:50 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: djp's post @ Dec 30 2010, 10:13 AM

Reuters data go back even further. As do MDSFinancials' in the Market Analyser Professional.
If you need to know one particular price at any day since 1983, PM someone that has the MA Pro. There's a good chance we can help.

example: BHP monthly chart

Attached File  BHP_m_30_12_10.gif ( 19.97K ) Number of downloads: 14

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

djp
post Posted: Dec 30 2010, 10:13 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: bam_bamm's post @ Dec 30 2010, 08:50 AM

Hi Bam

I think as long as you can demonstrate that you weren't careless or reckless. i.e. document how you determined what price you thought you paid (by reference to old finance papers held in archives, discussions with brokers, enquiries to the company itself) you shouldn't get fined. If the ATO auditors have access to better data, they will just apply it and send you an amended assessment, so there will no need for you lodge an amended return.

Others may be able to provide sources of historical prices - eg Yahoo's goes back to the early 2000's.

Hope this helps

regards

Said 'Thanks' for this post: bam_bamm  

bam_bamm
post Posted: Dec 30 2010, 08:50 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: djp's post @ Aug 25 2010, 06:39 PM

and following on from this...

say i have my best guess at what price i think i acquired some shares (10+ years ago when i was a minor) and i use this information in a tax return, only to be audited a few years later and they then advise me what price i acquired them for, would i be fined? or would i just need to lodge an amended tax return and pay any owing capital gains?

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

djp
post Posted: Aug 25 2010, 06:39 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: bam_bamm's post @ Aug 25 2010, 04:00 PM

They just ask for what they want! see attached

Attached File(s)
Attached File  ATO_access_and_information_gathering_powers.pdf ( 112.52K ) Number of downloads: 64

bam_bamm
post Posted: Aug 25 2010, 04:00 PM
  Quote Post

ive got a silly tax question that someone might know the answer to.

obviously we know that the ATO audits taxation returns for individuals.
if they require information from a share registry, do they pay the search fees to get the information like we have to? or can they get this information under freedom of information, or some other kind of government department information sharing agreement?

--------------------

wolverine
post Posted: Jul 14 2010, 10:54 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Duster's post @ Jul 14 2010, 09:33 AM

thumbs up Duster.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

Duster
post Posted: Jul 14 2010, 09:33 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Jul 13 2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks Wolverine/Arty. Thought I would check the ATO site and not be so lazy...........

1. The shares or units acquired on exercise of the rights or options are subject to capital gains tax.
  2. The acquisition date of the shares or units is the date of the exercise of the rights or options.
  3. The first element of the cost base and reduced cost base of the shares or units is the sum of:
  • the amount you paid for the rights or options, and
  • the amount you paid for the shares or units on exercising the rights or options.
      Note: Any capital gain or loss you make from exercising the rights or options to acquire those shares or units is disregarded.
      Duster

--------------------
Patience is the key to success.

51 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING