Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

ShareScene needs your help, to keep ShareScene free
triage
post Posted: Jul 1 2020, 10:20 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jul 1 2020, 10:07 PM

There's one or two to be found on Capital Hill as well. rolleyes.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg_KQYwKgpE

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

triage
post Posted: Jul 1 2020, 10:14 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 21 2020, 03:25 PM

Thanks for that nip. For a lark I've lurked on tiktok a couple of times. Some of the stuff there is quite clever but it really is tabloid standard. Reddit, similar, not a lot of thought or preparation goes into much of the stuff I've seen.

I was convinced to sign up for linkedin recently, so as to read the comments on something that had been posted. Plenty of "yes I agree 100% because it is a really good idea". In other words no value adding from the comments section (though that is true for most comments sections, including for mainstream media sites). I'm not signed up for twitter but I regularly see solid analysis / commentary about economics and current affairs there though I'm not sure if there is much stock or investment banter (?).

I still like the stock forums like hc and ss / sc for the genuine intel that is made available from time to time. For ss / sc to blossom it needs a few flashy leaders to complement the solid analysts. It used to be that Kahuna would get dozens of likes for pretty much every post and the likes of King Baz was very showy and would evoke lots of responses and chatter.

HC has developed into a monster: I think they claim 600,000 unique visitors a month, and from time to time there can be extremely solid investment analysis available there, and the fact that they carry near-real time pricing info is handy. Still lots of empty comments there of course but nothing like the wild west it used to be.

I reckon if the stock market double dips then a lot of these "investors" who are using the 10k they pulled from their super will be taught a savage lesson. The ones that survive the hit will realise that stock investing is a tough gig, and sometimes they can benefit from forums like hc and ss/sc.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Jul 1 2020, 10:07 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jul 1 2020, 09:45 PM

Lots of carp in lake Burley Griffin.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

triage
post Posted: Jul 1 2020, 09:45 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 1 2020, 04:53 PM

That's no good, Mick. Have you tried dynamite?

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

henrietta
post Posted: Jul 1 2020, 06:45 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 1 2020, 04:53 PM

Come on Mick, you'll have to do better than that. smile.gif

At least there's some water in the rivers, so that's good.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 1 2020, 04:53 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jun 19 2020, 07:04 PM

No fish caught anywhere on Darling or in Menindee lakes (yet).
Did catch a carp on the Lachlan on way up.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Featured Stock Stories

nipper
post Posted: Jun 21 2020, 03:25 PM
  Quote Post

it appears IMs are currently not abled (= disabled) so I'll put this up for general viewing.

SS is schizoid, and consists of a rump base of users, ever dwindling in number, posting on general threads, and a cohort of CUV posters and readers. The decline of the former is self-evident, while the popularity of the latter may not be fully appreciated. A CUV post on 15 July that required clicking on to read the attachment has now gained nearly 1000 views (some may be duplicate but the total number is higher than active contributors would imply).

And of course, there is a third form of views, that of robots.

Now SS like most free-access forums rely on advertisers to pay for the upkeep, for moderators and registration etc. I suspect as a business model, it is rather mid-2000's rather than state of the art V2.0

I came across an article that talks about the increased trading by retail gamblers/speculators/traders/investors during Covid lockdown, and it mentions the newest participants are found in online communities, which are typically
..... a bunch of new players day-trading and laughing at the world of fund managers and experts. Sure, they are inexperienced, but they work on the theory that stocks only go up, and if it's a terrible stock that just fell 50%, then that's even better. It has so much potential. It sounds crazy to anyone taught to value a company based on the net present value of its expected future cash flows, but in this world, none of that matters. The new traders drove up the price of Hertz after it declared bankruptcy with massive debts and no revenue, and the share price rose so rapidly that Hertz planned a new capital raising.

Where are these communities hanging out?

TikTok is a massive global success story with a billion members who post short dance moves, lip sync routines, cooking sessions or whatever. It's also dominated by young people and millennials, and Robinhood advertises heavily to this market. The chat function on TikTok includes stories of quick daily market gains with videos on 'How to Trade' and 'Financial Advice', some of which are agonisingly naive.

Reddit is a large collection of online public forums where people share information and comment on posts by other people. It has become a global feedback site on almost any subject and one Robinhood section has 300,000 members. A popular Australian site is ASX_bets with 8,300 members. Reddit claims to be the number one resource for traders under 30, and they can legitimately collude.

And what of Robinhood? This is now a serious business. It has increased its user base by millions each month since March and embarked on a new share issue valuing the company at US$8 billion. It is privately held, and the app is not available in Australia. Robinhood makes money by selling data to high-frequency traders, which may translate into other activity by large players.

https://www.firstlinks.com.au/easy-money-do...stonks-bro-down

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

early birds
post Posted: Jun 20 2020, 12:08 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 19 2020, 06:29 PM

jealous is the word Mick.

have good time!! don't forget come back here when back home!!

nipper
post Posted: Jun 20 2020, 11:45 AM
  Quote Post

Wentworth, where the waters meet.

If you pass a sheep station called Jamesville on the annabranch on way to Pooncarie, I was there as a nipper in 1960. Second cousins had it then.

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Jun 19 2020, 07:04 PM
  Quote Post

I'm very jealous. Enjoy !

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING