Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >   

Reply to this topic

China removes the USD peg, What are the consequences for us?
KianJ
post Posted: Jan 29 2016, 04:48 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 29 2016, 04:46 PM

YES AND

BOJ will cut further.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 29 2016, 04:46 PM
  Quote Post

From The ABC

The Bank of Japan has shocked global markets by driving its official interest rates into negative territory.

In a close run five to four vote, the central bank board moved the official interest rate down a notch from 0 to -0.1 per cent.

In addition, the BoJ will maintain its quantitative easing program, expanding its asset base at a rate of 80 trillion yen ($930 billion) a year through buying up Japanese Government bonds, stakes in real estate trusts and electronically traded funds.

The main Japanese share market index, the Nikkei, initially surged on the news but slumped back into the red afternoon trade, before rising again to be up 2.3 per cent by 4:33pm (AEDT).

The Australian dollar rose nearly 2 per cent against the Yen, while the US dollar was up 0.8 per cent.

IG market analyst Angus Nicholson said the volatile share reaction reflected optimism about increased Japanese export competitiveness versus fears of a new currency war.

"The fact markets pared back this bounce soon after the announcement may in some respects reflect growing market concern that central banks are delving into a tit-for-tat currency devaluation war," he wrote in a note.

"The grand macro-economic elephant in the room is what happens if China is forced into a major one-off devaluation in retaliation.

Just what we need, another escalation in the currency wars. Will this push the Chinese into a massive devaluation??

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

triage
post Posted: Jan 28 2016, 10:05 AM
  Quote Post

More mutterings that it is a near certainty that the Chinese authorities will be forced to devalue the yuan against the greenback by around 20%.

http://www.reuters.com/article/uk-china-fo...s-idUSKCN0V50YC

Of course the very fact that just about everyone apparently is now betting on a devaluation means that something else is likely to happen. Using George Soros's theory of reflexivity the Chinese authorities will be doing everything possible to ensure that this outcome, which would enrich all those "viscous" foreign speculators, does not happen.

But at the moment it seems they are standing square on and flat-footed throwing haymakers in the form of billions of dollars to try to repel the attack on the yuan but with little effect. If they are not knocked out before hand, sooner or later they will smarten up and step to the side and throw some punches from unexpected angles. If they start to fight smart, and the probability is that as seasoned street fighters they will, at the end of this bout the yuan will be still standing and the Chinese authorities will be able to claim some sort of points win.

But whatever the outcome for China I suspect that the Australian economy and our currency will have been badly pummeled.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

nipper
post Posted: Jan 15 2016, 07:20 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jan 7 2016, 06:56 PM

thanks AFR or spellcheck

the story is
Each weekday afternoon when her housework is complete, Shanghai grandmother Wu Lindi begins her other life as a black market currency trader.

The 63-year-old retired accountant can be found in the waiting area of a state-owned bank in the city's former French Concession, calculator and cash bundle at the ready.

Despite it being illegal to exchange foreign currency in this manner, Wu is not hiding. Indeed, the security guard at the bank directs us her way when we inquire about purchasing US dollars.

This is China's underground money network in action. It allows the country's capital controls to be circumvented and commerce to continue more freely. But in recent weeks as the turmoil on China's stock markets rolled on, Wu's business has been distinctly one-sided.

"Everyone just wants US dollars," she tells AFR Weekend. "But it's getting harder to find people willing to sell dollars for yuan."

This reluctance to hold yuan is part of a continuing evaporation of confidence in the Chinese unit, as many believe further devaluation is not just inevitable, but Beijing's only way out of the current mess.

That's why the currency, rather than the stock market, is the big story in China this year, as it has the potential to disrupt the fragile economic recovery under way in many parts of the world.
http://www.afr.com/markets/currencies/chin...20160114-gm6bzj

or
You don't need to be a finance expert to know that something's wrong when an interest rate reaches almost 70 percent. With China's growth outlook darkening and capital flowing out of the country, speculators have been betting heavily against the yuan. The People's Bank of China effectively declared war on them in early January, directing state banks to buy large sums of the currency in Hong Kong to support its value and burn the short sellers.

With the yuan suddenly scarce in Hong Kong, the annualized cost of borrowing it overnight there hit 66.82 percent on Jan. 12—more than 10 times the usual interest rate. (It receded to 8 percent the next day.) Michael Every, head of financial markets research at Rabobank Group, called the rate spike "murderous" and predicted that things wouldn't end well for Chinese authorities. Central banks "usually win a round like this, but lose in the end," he told Bloomberg.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...-capital-flight

all going to end in tears?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

nipper
post Posted: Jan 7 2016, 06:56 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jan 7 2016, 01:51 PM

Global markets are facing a crisis and investors need to be very cautious, says billionaire George Soros. China is struggling to find a new growth model and its currency devaluation is transferring problems to the rest of the world, Soros said in Colombo. A return to positive interest rates is a challenge for the developing world, he said, adding that the current environment has similarities to 2008.

Global currency, stock and commodity markets are under fire in the first week of the new year, with a sinking yuan adding to concern about the strength of China's economy as it shifts away from investment and manufacturing toward consumption and services. Almost $2.5 trillion was wiped from the value of global equities this year through Wednesday, and losses deepened in Asia on Thursday as a plunge in Chinese equities halted trade for the rest of the day.

"China has a major adjustment problem," Soros said. "I would say it amounts to a crisis. When I look at the financial markets there is a serious challenge which reminds me of the crisis we had in 2008."
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...orge-soros-says

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

triage
post Posted: Jan 7 2016, 01:51 PM
  Quote Post

I see that for the second time this week the Chinese stocks markets have been shut down for the day by recently installed automatic circuit breakers: if they drop by 5% they stop trading for 15 minutes but if they drop by 7% or more in intraday trading then they are closed down for the rest of the day.

A reason commonly given for Monday's shut-down was to do with all those shares that were suspended from trading back in August when the Chinese stock markets first hit turbulence being able to be traded from this Friday. That suspension has now been extended so that can not be used as an excuse for the time being.

However today's shut-down - which happened fairly early in the trading day - is being explained as a reaction to the authorities setting the RMB for the day at a lower rate than was apparently expected.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...300-declines-5-

I've seen talk that the RMB either needs to be floated by the Chinese authorities or else they do a one-off devaluation against the USD - as much as by 30% - otherwise they are going to be plagued by massive capital outflows (which sooner or later will force them into action anyway).

At the end of last year the Chinese authorities indicated that they were no longer monitoring the RMB against the greenback by itself but rather were using an index of numerous currencies. This gives an answer they are happier with - against the greenback the RMB is increasingly expensive but against the cross rates it is performing okay - but they cannot get away from the grim reality that the USD is the sole benchmark that counts.

Not sure where this goes from here. Does the RMB need to change or is it the USD's position more under threat?

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

mullokintyre
post Posted: Dec 22 2015, 04:43 PM
  Quote Post

Another step in Chinas plan to make the yuan a world currency??

Zimbabwe plans to make the Chinese yuan legal tender in a deal that will result in $US40 million ($55 million) of debt being cancelled.

The southern African nation abandoned its own dollar in 2009 after hyperinflation — which peaked at around 500 billion per cent — rendered it unusable.

It then started using a slew of foreign currencies, including the US dollar and the South African rand.

The yuan was later added, but its use had not been approved yet for public transactions in the market dominated by the US dollar.

Use of the yuan "will be a function of trade between China and Zimbabwe and acceptability with customers in Zimbabwe", the country's Finance Minister Patrick Chinamasa said.

"They (China) said they are cancelling our debts that are maturing this year and we are in the process of finalising the debt instruments and calculating the debts."

Zimbabwe's central bank chief John Mangudya was in negotiations with the People's Bank of China "to see whether we can enhance its usage here", the Minister said.

China is Zimbabwe's biggest trading partner following Zimbabwe's isolation by its former Western trading partners over Harare's human rights record.

In reaction veteran President Robert Mugabe adopted a "look East policy", forging new alliances with eastern Asian countries and buttressing existing ones.

In early December, Chinese President Xi Jinping stopped over in Zimbabwe in a rare trip by a world leader to the country, and presided over the signing of various agreements, mainly to upgrade and rebuild Zimbabwe's infrastructure such as power stations.

Zimbabwe YUAN??

All I can say is good luck to them.
The Mugabe regime will take them for a ride just like they have all the western countries.
Its a bit like invading Afganistan. Every one thinks they can do it where the last country failed.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

triage
post Posted: Oct 18 2015, 06:41 AM
  Quote Post

Here is a link to a recent article by Jeffery Sachs in which he argues that China has allowed its currency to become overvalued for the same reason the Japanese allowed the yen to become overvalued post the 1980's: US pressure. His view is that just as the overvalued yen brought on Japan's financial crisis and economic malaise so too will the overvalued yuan negatively impact China's circumstances.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentar...d-sachs-2015-10

I am aware that Prof Sachs is a leading authority in the area of poverty and third world economics but anytime I have attempted to read any of his stuff I get a similar vibe to reading much of John Pilger's political writings in that no matter what the question is the answer is that the US is at fault. In this case I think the yuan has become overvalued mainly from the actions of the Chinese themselves in response to the 2008 crisis.

At the end of the article he dismisses reasons given by the Economist for China not to devalue the yuan as being "conventional western thinking". I would argue that the reasons given by the Economist are also likely "conventional Chinese thinking". In any case Prof Sachs obviously thinks the Chinese should devalue their currency to avoid the malaise suffered by Japan.

He at no time in the article seems to address the fact that both Japan and China allowed massive credit bubbles to form. My own suspicion is that unless the Chinese find a way to fix that mess then everything else will remain unstable. The Japanese attempted to fix their credit bubble by nationalising private debt rather than take the hit and allow much of that debt to default and here they are 25 years later still with a zombie economy. The Chinese fixed a smaller credit bubble in the late 90's also by nationalising bank debt (and also by allowing banks to pay negative real interest rates on bank deposits) so maybe they will try that approach again this time around (?).

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Sep 30 2015, 09:05 AM
  Quote Post

Here is an article that seems to have a fully formed and complete explanation of how the RMB peg to the USD has moulded China's economy over the last decade or so, and goes on to predict, unconditionally, that China is headed for a 1920's type depression.

Hmmmm. Anyone who holds out that they have all the answers either are dumb, ignorant or are having a lend so I take this whole article with a grain of salt, particularly when it gets into the USA, USA, USA ending. (Apparently the magazine, The Federalist, is a vehicle for right wing ideologues so what would you expect I suppose).

But as far as the line about the peg undervaluing the RMB up to 2008 and then overvaluing it since then goes then I think the writer of the article is not too far from a reasonable argument. The effect was that the peg flooded China with excess liquidity and now it is sucking that liquidity out. Anyway have a read, but have your salt shaker handy.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/28/chinas...eat-depression/

FWIW I get the feeling that China will not attempt to shore up the RMB and risk having to fight capital flight (the mere act of fighting capital flight will only encourage more and more to engage in capital flight). As such, I think there is a fair chance that once the national holidays have come (and perhaps gone) Prez Xi will take decisive action.

Anyway one way or another we are (finally) getting to interesting times imo.

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Sep 25 2015, 08:26 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Sep 25 2015, 08:04 AM

And here is even more discussion about the yuan being overvalued.

http://econbrowser.com/archives/2015/09/yuan-undervaluation

Note the link to the article where some of the political loonpond in the US are still arguing that the yuan is undervalued against the USD but the charts in the Econbrowser article suggest that in fact the yuan is currently substantially overvalued against the greenback and also on a trade weighted basis.

It would make sense for the US Federal Reserve to hold off increasing interest rates - as it has just done - if there were any possibility that the Chinese were about to drop the yuan another notch or two. Had the Fed increased rates and the Chinese had still gone ahead with a substantial devaluation the combination would have created havoc around the world. It could be argued that even with the Fed sitting pat if the Chinese devalue by say 10% there will still be seismic ramifications in its trading partners and in emerging markets generally. Paul Krugman talks about the flow-on effects of troubles in China, though not as a result of a devaluation but more on the economic downturn that the Citigroup's chief economist has talked about.

The link to the Krugman article is embedded here:

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevo...-the-day-2.html

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING