Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

21 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 21 >   

Reply to this topic

COVID-19, Pandemic
henrietta
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 02:17 PM
  Quote Post

Sweden has a different approach ....... trying to proceed as normal, with a few distancing guidelines. As this person says ....

Dr Emma Frans says history will be the judge of which politicians and scientists around Europe have made the best calls so far.
"Nobody really knows what measurements will be the most effective," she says. "I'm quite glad that I'm not the one making these decisions".

" I'm quite glad that I'm not the one making these decisions." And so say all of us !

Cheers
J

ps So far, Sweden has 10 deaths per 1M pop, and Australia has 0-5 .

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 11:00 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 28 2020, 07:01 PM

Whoops....... NZ has its first death. Bugger!

Cheers
J

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 10:45 AM
  Quote Post

An interesting Gallup poll from the US shows a surprising level of support for most US institutions in the way these institutions are handling the virus.
from Gallup

Here’s the breakdown of approve/disapprove:

U.S. Hospitals: 88 percent vs. 10 percent.
Your child’s school or daycare: 83 percent vs. 9 percent
Your state government: 82 percent vs. 17 percent
Your employer: 82 percent vs. 14 percent
Government health agencies such as the CDC or NIH: 80 percent vs. 17 percent
Vice President Mike Pence: 61 percent vs. 32 percent
President Donald Trump: 60 percent vs. 38 percent
Congress: 59 percent vs. 37 percent.

Gees, even Trump has a positive rating. he just beat Congress.
But way down the bottom of the list is the US Media.
The news media: 44 percent vs. 55 percent
it is the only one of the institutions where the approval rate is lower than the disapproval rate.

Gallop could not bring itself to mention the absolute figures showing how poorly the media rated
However, it did comment on the partisan nature of politics thusly
Only on the news media's handling of the coronavirus are Democrats more approving than Republicans -- 61% vs. 25%, respectively. Gallup has consistently found that Democrats have more confidence than Republicans in mass media.

Despite this, Gallops take on the figures

Americans are largely approving of how U.S. institutions and leaders are responding to the coronavirus situation.

Unless you are part of the media of course.

I guess given that orgs such as Gallop get a chunk of their income from the Media , they are unlikely to tip a bucketfull on their providers.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 08:43 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 28 2020, 07:01 PM

Theres no old people in New Zealand.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 06:24 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 28 2020, 01:19 PM

J,
The Financial Times has a website where there's free access, no paywall, even download an app. Covers all countries:

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Seems to be updated quite frequently

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: birnam  henrietta  

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 28 2020, 07:01 PM
  Quote Post

New Zealand ....... 451 cases, 0 deaths.

That's pretty impressive .

Cheers
J

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 28 2020, 01:19 PM
  Quote Post

Yikes ...... the Closed cases results don't look too good ..... from a COVID STATS website, which seems kosher ...

160,728 Cases which had an outcome:

133,363 (83%Recovered / Discharged

27,365 (17%) Deaths

Cripes, the 17% is a bit sobering.

Cheers
J
the link https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Mar 27 2020, 08:39 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Mar 27 2020, 08:37 PM

PS global population above 7 billion, but not by that much

and ... we anticipate that the true burden in low income settings pursuing mitigation strategies could be substantially higher than reflected in these estimate

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Mar 27 2020, 08:37 PM
  Quote Post

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infec...an-coronavirus/
We estimate that in the absence of interventions, COVID-19 would have resulted in 7.0 billion infections and 40 million deaths globally this year. Mitigation strategies focussing on shielding the elderly (60% reduction in social contacts) and slowing but not interrupting transmission (40% reduction in social contacts for wider population) could reduce this burden by half, saving 20 million lives, but we predict that even in this scenario, health systems in all countries will be quickly overwhelmed.

This effect is likely to be most severe in lower income settings where capacity is lowest: our mitigated scenarios lead to peak demand for critical care beds in a typical low-income setting outstripping supply by a factor of 25, in contrast to a typical high-income setting where this factor is 7. As a result, we anticipate that the true burden in low income settings pursuing mitigation strategies could be substantially higher than reflected in these estimates.

Our analysis therefore suggests that healthcare demand can only be kept within manageable levels through the rapid adoption of public health measures (including testing and isolation of cases and wider social distancing measures) to suppress transmission, similar to those being adopted in many countries at the current time. If a suppression strategy is implemented early (at 0.2 deaths per 100,000 population per week) and sustained, then 38.7 million lives could be saved whilst if it is initiated when death numbers are higher (1.6 deaths per 100,000 population per week) then 30.7 million lives could be saved.

Delays in implementing strategies to suppress transmission will lead to worse outcomes and fewer lives saved.

--------------------

plastic
post Posted: Mar 27 2020, 06:37 PM
  Quote Post

Not sure the rest of the world is taking this virus all that seriously considering the primary risk of spread is travelling going by this map.
What happens when the travel ban is lifted, you get in the plane and get to your destination and everyone else is contagious still?

https://www.flightradar24.com/-17.72,86.54/2

--------------------
What did Uncle Mel do to us?

21 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 21 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING