Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

485 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

CRICKET
mullokintyre
post Posted: Today, 12:57 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Yesterday, 03:02 PM

Poms did pretty well last night.
Apart from the first 15 overs or so, they have looked pretty much at ease.
Plenty of plays and misses, but you need luck on these sort of pitches. The Ozzies had plenty when they were batting, but eventually ya luck just runs out.
Root has had his fair shre, but good players take advantage of their luck.
New ball due early tonight should decide things one way or another.
Was a bit disappointed with Lyon last night, bowled well, and beat the bat lots of times, but did not pose as many problems as I expected.
But that boy Stokes, jeez hes a fighter.
been their most consistent bowler , and probably their most reliable batsmen.
A real tough bugger.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

triage
post Posted: Yesterday, 03:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Yesterday, 01:02 PM

balance - at one point last night there was some talk from the pommy commentators that this particular type of Duke ball is not fit for purpose. Apparently it was used in a county game some time ago and the game was called off (?) or at least it was a total shemozzle as the ball was virtually unplayable. So there was some surprise when the authorities decided to bring it back for the Ashes Series. It now seems that the pommy authorities outsmarted themselves because by targetting all the Aussie batsmen who can only play against undeviating white balls on unresponsive pitches they also exposed all their own batters who are actual world champions at that type of cricket. (I enjoy the understated commentary from most of them but if only I could selectively mute out Warne and Beefy Boofhead ... but I can't so I watch most of the coverage with the mute on).

Even the body language of lambshanks is that of a number 3.

I'm hoping the Goat will bring us home. I saw the only over he bowled in the first innings and he got one to rear up off a reasonable length and hit Paine around the neck.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

balance
post Posted: Yesterday, 01:02 PM
  Quote Post

Never judge an innings until the other guys bat. The Aussies were underwhelming but the ball was hooping and seaming all over the place. The movement off the pitch really was something.

So, for the English. Only a few got good deliveries, the rest were just rubbish shots. That's what happens when most of the bats are one day players, not test players.
I don't recall any series where both bowling squads were so superior to the batting squads. That said, the pitches have been much more bowler friendly, which is a nice change.

280 in front with a wickets in hand should be enough to win.

But with 3 days to play ( all that happened in 2 days!? ), good weather predicted and what should be the best batting conditions, England have an eternity to make the runs risk free. Unlikely given their confidence must be shot, but it is there for the taking.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Yesterday, 08:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Aug 23 2019, 10:56 PM

Well, it looked like a pleasant summers day on the TV. But it must have been a mistake.
Poms out for 60 odd.
Fantastic bowling by Hazlewood, and well backed up by Cummins and Pattinson.
And some excellent catching by Warner, though he blotted his copybook with another duck.
Surely now Kawaja will go onto the too unreliable list with Maxwell now.
Wade also skating on thin ice, though he does have a century this series.
Lead now 280 with four wickets to go.
Not a bad position to be in.
With the good bounce Lyon gets, I reckon he will have a bit to say in second innings.
Mick

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Aug 23 2019, 10:56 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 23 2019, 07:37 PM

"Sun will shine and the ball will be ramrod straight when it resumes tonigh for the Poms to bat." ... or not. That's the best I've seen Hazlewood bowl, ever. Sure, the conditions suit him and the Duke ball actually moves but he was bowling more fourth stump rather than his usual fifth and sixth stump stuff. I'm amazed all the poms seem to be batting with hard hands, I thought they would be used to playing in these conditions.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 23 2019, 07:37 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 23 2019, 09:21 AM

Sun shining, beautiful day apparently. Trust our bowlers can spoil it for those Poms !!!

Cheers
J

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 23 2019, 09:21 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Aug 22 2019, 11:49 PM

Yep, seems the weather is crappy when OZ bat only.
Sun will shine and the ball will be ramrod straight when it resumes tonigh for the Poms to bat.
Oz will have to bowl exceedingly well.
Did enjoy the replay of the WACA test from a few years ago when Smith got his first century in OZ.

Mick

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Aug 22 2019, 11:49 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 22 2019, 07:55 PM

Not sure how you are supposed to bat when the ball is moving as much as it is today ... but the shot that Khawaja got out with was just a gift to the poms. I've pretty much given up on him, at least as a number 3, seems to get out to too many lazy shots. Two down for not much ... at least the NRL was worth watching tonight.

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 22 2019, 07:55 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 22 2019, 03:46 PM

Looks like ya oil is good. Harris practicing at second slip in warmups.
Pattinson in for siddle, as Siddle appears not to be in warmups.
Mick

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 22 2019, 03:46 PM
  Quote Post

Marcus Harris in for Bancroft ?

Cheers
J

485 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING