Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

157 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
alonso
post Posted: Apr 16 2019, 10:36 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 12 2019, 01:45 PM

Re your feedback to the ABC, you must have missed the implied small print about negative comments not being welcome.

But seriously, I generally get a response to feedback on ABC podcasts, but then my feedback has generally been of a positive suggestive kind (that probably needs rephrasing). I am also a fairly regular reader of ABC news on my phone (a) because it's free and (b) because it's always advisable to keep an eye on enemy movements.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  nipper  

triage
post Posted: Apr 14 2019, 04:07 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 14 2019, 01:29 PM

Yeah I started using it after some poster kept calling me a sheeple just because I did not agree with his batshit crazy conspiracy theories. Hence, Shawn. Sharescene is not quite the barroom brawl it used to be but I've grown fond of the picture.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 14 2019, 01:29 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Pendragon's post @ Apr 13 2019, 09:10 AM

That cute little sheep avatar is Shawn the Sheep. Kids animated TV show that grandparents watch with the little tackers.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Pendragon
post Posted: Apr 13 2019, 09:10 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Apr 11 2019, 10:26 AM

Triage,

Apart from the science - yeah Einstein!!!!

It is the algorithms they developed to enhance the image. These algorithms will filter down to all the media and photo software we use and that little cute little sheep avatar you use - I will be able to see distinctly every follicle of hair on his body. Will be able to tell which of the 34 genders now available to choose from, it is!! Well at least 2.

nipper
post Posted: Apr 12 2019, 04:25 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 12 2019, 01:45 PM

Well, if you happen to live in NSW, you soon learn it stands for Newcastle Sydney Wollongong.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 12 2019, 01:45 PM
  Quote Post

I am a fairly avid reader of the ABC News site.
Its a just a pity it is so Sydney Centric.
Despite having my location in Victoria, every morning when I check in, one of the most prominent items is “Live: NSW Now”.
I guess they think that NSW is so important , that everyone else outdide that state needs to know whats happening there.
This is a recent phenomenon, and when I sent a feedback to ABC , the response I got was nothing. (at least not in the three days since I put my feedback comment in).

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

triage
post Posted: Apr 11 2019, 02:05 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Apr 11 2019, 10:26 AM

Well someone found it exciting.

https://imgur.com/gallery/eN6LVFM

Just think: in ten years time people will look at that page and marvel at how bulky the storage units required were not at how many petabytes it took.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  mullokintyre  nipper  

triage
post Posted: Apr 11 2019, 10:26 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 11 2019, 07:58 AM

Yes hardly worth the 55 million year wait is it. Certainly less momentous than the broadcast of the final series of Game of Thrones, which we know is already finished being filmed and is in the can... rolleyes.gif . The space geeks seem pretty excited by the photo but I suspect most ignoramuses like moi will just go, meh, and move onto the sports pages.

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 11 2019, 07:58 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 4 2019, 07:22 AM

Well, the end result is a bit underwhelming.

Looks like a fuzzy donut.
However, if we are being truly technically truthfull, it may not exist this morning, or could be extremely different from the photograph.
Given that the object is some 55 million light years away, the radiation used to create the image is some 55 million years old.

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  nipper  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 4 2019, 07:22 AM
  Quote Post

I wonder if the MSM will see much importance in this announcement.

This could be the biggest announcement ever in the history of astronomy. Announcement and video follows.

Artist conception of what a photograph of the event horizon around a black hole may look like.
Of all the weird stuff that exists in the universe, such as quasars, pulsars, magnetars, neutron stars, red giants and white dwarfs, one of the most bizarre, and the “holy grail” for scientists to image, is the black hole. Black holes were first identified in Einstein’s theory of general relativity. These gravitational monsters create a gravity well so deep and so steep that they consume everything near them. The gravity is so intense that even light can’t escape. While science already knows quite a bit about black holes, and have posited that one exists at the center of our galaxy since the mid 1970s, there have never been any photographs of black holes. After all, how can you photograph something that sucks in all the light around it?

The answer? Look for the event horizon.

That lack of photography may be about to change on April 10th, 2019. From the EHT webpage:

The European Commission, European Research Council, and the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) project will hold a press conference to present a groundbreaking result from the EHT.

EHT Webpage

While idly reading up on Event Horizons and black holes, I found the interesting tidbit that if the earth were to be compressed sufficiently so as to be about 9 centimetres in diameter, it would become a black hole.
Very useful info for our next trivial pursuit night.

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  nipper  Pendragon  

157 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING