Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

84 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > »    

Reply to this topic

USD, American Dollar Discussion
lgrif
post Posted: Jun 14 2018, 12:12 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 14 2018, 09:18 AM

Yeh, I'm going in Sept & thought $A would weaken against the Euro, so put a bit on travel card ~ 6 weeks ago. Not a smart move; $A moved up a bit. As a currency player I suck.
Think I'll sit back till near leaving time to buy more Euro.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 14 2018, 09:45 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 14 2018, 09:18 AM

Nah, they probably heard you were coming.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Jun 14 2018, 09:18 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 14 2018, 09:16 AM

yeah, but I'm off to Europe soon, and AUD:EUR, which was rebuilding, suddenly dropped. Collateral reaction, I guess

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 14 2018, 09:16 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 12 2018, 08:32 PM

The Fed raises interest rates again, and what happens, a big Yawn.
No reaction. Yes it was priced in, but really, the AUD down 0.03%
Other currencies went up by the same amount.
The worlds currency seems to be in a holding pattern waiting for something to happen.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: May 12 2018, 08:32 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Mork's post @ May 12 2018, 12:40 PM

Or corporate (or high yield [= junk ] [ = sub investment] grade) debt
One reason for the Great Recession was so many borrowers had sold short-term commercial paper to buy long-term assets. Things got worse when they couldn’t roll over the debt and some are now doing exactly the same thing again, except in much riskier high-yield debt. We have two related problems here.
- Corporate debt and especially high-yield debt issuance has exploded since 2009.
- Tighter regulations discouraged banks from making markets in corporate and HY debt.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Mork  early birds  

Mork
post Posted: May 12 2018, 12:40 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Pendragon's post @ May 12 2018, 10:42 AM

your right about the massive hoard of us dollars.

but there are also trillions of dollars of US dollars denominated debt in Emerging Markets and the Euro Zone. I recently saw a figure of $4.5trillion in Europe? Combine that with rising US interest rates and the fact that a lot of this debt is not serviced by US dollars earnings - you've got a squeeze going on for US dollars as US interest rates rise.

i don't like the US dollar in the LT but doesn't mean it can't continue to rally in the short/medium term. All this debt in EM seems like a repeat of the Asian crises on the horizon.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  nipper  

Pendragon
post Posted: May 12 2018, 10:42 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: marketwinner's post @ May 12 2018, 08:11 AM

I can not understand how the value of the Australian dollar is tanking against the US dollar.
There is an unbelievably massive hoard of US dollars sloshing around the world. Sloshing is the wrong word. The money is just sitting there doing nothing.
More countries are getting off the US dollar for trade.
These US dollars are effectively sitting there doing nothing but declining in value daily. And I suspect the value of the decline will accelerate.
And yet the Australian dollar keeps declining.
If I had trillions just sitting there declining in value I would at least be buying some Australian dollars which have more value than the US dollars sitting in a vault doing nothing but gathering dust.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

marketwinner
post Posted: May 12 2018, 08:11 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: marketwinner's post @ Apr 21 2018, 05:49 PM

https://www.reuters.com/article/cftc-forex/...reuters-data-id

marketwinner
post Posted: Apr 21 2018, 05:49 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: marketwinner's post @ Apr 6 2018, 06:11 PM

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dollar-cl...lide-2018-04-20

marketwinner
post Posted: Apr 6 2018, 06:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: marketwinner's post @ Mar 31 2018, 06:10 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...-trade-tensions

84 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING