Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

10 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Olympic Games - Beijing Style!, All Things Related To The Games
triage
post Posted: Sep 2 2008, 08:59 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: jfgao on Tuesday 02/09/08 08:31pm

All good stuff. biggrin.gif

Of course the main reason why Chinese businesses attempt to provide english translations is not to impress the very few of their customers who cannot read chinese but rather to impress the overwhelming majority of their customers who cannot read english. So close enough is often good enough.

A bit like in Australia when a clothing shop or food outlet want to charge a premium they break into pidgeon french even though most Aussies are clueless about the french language.

And have you ever wondered if those cool dudes with their tatooed chinese characters really have a clue as to whether they are proudly displaying total gibberish - again doesn't matter as long as most other people they meet can't tell either.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

jfgao
post Posted: Sep 2 2008, 08:31 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: geoq on Tuesday 02/09/08 08:54pm

It says: Welcome to the Olympics, please make your way to the exit in a cordial and orderly manner. Anyhow, this is tame compared to some of the more severe translational atrocities committed by locals during the games.

For example,

Restaurant relies on google translation to no avail

Racist Sofa

and finally...The Gold Medal Winner

Said 'Thanks' for this post: dee27  spartz  

geoq
post Posted: Sep 2 2008, 07:54 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: swuzzlebubble on Tuesday 02/09/08 05:40pm

Sign on the way to Beijing. Taken 2 weeks ago but still there yesterday.

G
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Hen_3_265a.jpg ( 83.43K ) Number of downloads: 0

swuzzlebubble
post Posted: Sep 2 2008, 05:40 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: jfgao on Tuesday 02/09/08 05:33pm

the one one the bottom right having a drag must be team captain

Or in the sin-bin for a couple of minutes (voluntarily)? biggrin.gif

jfgao
post Posted: Sep 2 2008, 05:33 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: swuzzlebubble on Tuesday 02/09/08 05:48pm

Cold...so very cold!

PS. the one one the bottom right having a drag must be team captain. biggrin.gif

swuzzlebubble
post Posted: Sep 2 2008, 04:48 PM
  Quote Post

Ladies water polo: Serbia vs. Albania

Attached File(s)
Attached File  pic04031.jpg ( 117.57K ) Number of downloads: 0

wolverine
post Posted: Aug 25 2008, 10:22 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: jfgao on Monday 25/08/08 09:27pm

the zero looks like a map of australia.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

jfgao
post Posted: Aug 25 2008, 09:27 PM
  Quote Post

Is it just me, or does the London 2012 insignia look like a train wreck with carriages stacked on top of one another? Heard some

puerile

arty
post Posted: Aug 25 2008, 06:06 PM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (henrietta @ Monday 25/08/08 03:56pm)

...and what they seem to forget is the Maths side of it:

We may out-"Ossie-Ossie-Ossie, Oy-Oy-Oy" their pathetic whingeing in most stadiums, but there's still about five of them to every one of us. And they got one more medal than Australia?
On that score, even little Kiwi-Land beat them fair and square laughingsmiley.gif

PS: Triage, you're so right! SBS showed most of the classics - handball, dressage, soccer... - whereas channel 7, apart from dumb ads, concentrated on the show ponies. No contest.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

triage
post Posted: Aug 25 2008, 05:59 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: bam_bamm on Monday 25/08/08 05:16pm

Good luck to them, they were one of the real success stories of the Games for mine. The fact that they carry on like Rick from the Young Ones is to be expected and tolerated (makes seeing them get beaten all the more enjoyable).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmxRdx7HMME

Also worthy of gold medals were the Lightening Bolt, those gutsy Qld girls, the fact that the Chinese belted the yanks for gold medals, and SBS - thank god for SBS smile.gif

Phelps as well of course, but I disliked how the Americans portrayed his efforts in the pool and the men's basketball competition as the only items of any weight. It reminds me a couple of Games ago, in 1996, they decided that the 400m was the blue riband track event on the basis that they had Michael Johnson and they were unlikely to win the 100m race (which was won in world record time by a Canadian).

Channel 7 deserves disqualification from future events for serving up the equivalent of a big mac with fries to go (so heavily over-processed I found it unwatchable most of the time grrr.gif )

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

10 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING