Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

197 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    

Reply to this topic

Computer issues and problems, virus warnings, tech problems, whatever
Tinkerbell
post Posted: May 2 2014, 09:28 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ May 2 2014, 08:27 AM

Hi Arty,

I had the same problem some time back, where wet days were slower than the normal slow! I live near the beach and it

turned out the problem was in a Telstra pit up the road that was full of corrosion. Once they cleaned up the connections, I got an amazing turn of speed ( in comparison!)

arty
post Posted: May 2 2014, 08:27 AM
  Quote Post

Internet connection speeds

Early in the morning, all the torrenting kids are still asleep:

Speeds with an iiNet server:

Speeds with a Telstra server:

That's because I'm close to the 4G Tower, getting VividWireless almost line-of-sight.
My neighbour, who is connected by copper to a node, could not access her ISP after recent rains. After 10 minutes, I got her ADSL modem back to work and ran the same speedtest. Her results: Download 0.01Mb/s, Upload 0.21 Mb/s.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: grevillia  

eBear
post Posted: Apr 29 2014, 02:14 PM
  Quote Post

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/

Internet Explorer Glitch Leaves Computers Vulnerable to Hackers

April 28, 2014 By ALYSSA NEWCOMB
Alyssa Newcomb More from Alyssa »
Digital Reporter Alyssa Newcomb More from Alyssa »

The Department of Homeland Security warns not to use Internet Explorer until security holes are patched. Getty Images Clicking on one malicious link in Internet Explorer may be all it takes for hackers to hijack your computer, according to warnings issued today by Microsoft and the Department of Homeland Security.

Federal officials advised that people should avoid using Internet Explorer browser versions six to 11 until Microsoft has successfully patched the glitch.

The United States Computer Emergency Readiness team said the vulnerability "could lead to the compromise of an affected system."

Windows XP Support Expires: What You Need to Do

The latest flaw works by tricking users into visiting a malicious website that then quietly installs malware, turning control of the system over to hackers, according to the Microsoft security advisory

Internet Explorer is the top browser, accounting for nearly 58 percent of users last month, according to NetMarketShare.

Mozilla's FireFox and Google Chrome round out the other most popular browsers.

People using the 12-year-old Windows XP operating system are especially vulnerable since Microsoft announced earlier this month it would no long provide technical assistance and automatic updates to protect users' PCs.

"If you continue to use Windows XP after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses," the company said on its website and encouraged users to upgrade their operating systems.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/internet-...ory?id=23503657

--------------------
"There is no present or future-only the past, happening over and over again-now"

- Eugene O'Neill

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

arty
post Posted: Apr 23 2014, 12:29 PM
  Quote Post

The intelligent home is coming:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/...inet-es-growth/

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: grevillia  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 23 2014, 10:18 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Tinkerbell's post @ Apr 22 2014, 01:44 PM

After removing no 3 sons laptop from the list of devices in the Thomson wireless router, and getting telstra to change the IP address
of the router, all is well again.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Tinkerbell
post Posted: Apr 22 2014, 01:44 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 22 2014, 12:08 PM

Mick, I had a similar problem some time back with a Telstra 3G/4G wireless router that for some crazy reason, was

not passing the correct DNS settings to the PC. I got round that by fixing the ip addresses in the adapter settings and

using Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 FWIW

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 22 2014, 12:08 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Tinkerbell's post @ Apr 22 2014, 11:04 AM

Thanks Tinkerbell, but I think the problem is within the adsl network
I can connect and send emails using my phone and IPADS when they use their respective sim cards.
However, the problem arises when I try to use the home broadband wireless.
Just to be on the safe side, I set up a VPN using the phone and was able to connect both my Mac laptop and my wifes win7 laptop to sucessully receive and send emails, but cannot send when they are reconnected to the home wireless network.

My youngest son is home from Uni, and I suspect he has been using bit torrent of one of those to cause our IP address to be blacklisted with spamhaus.

I am waiting for him to return to grill him unmercilessly.

Mick

--------------------

Tinkerbell
post Posted: Apr 22 2014, 11:04 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 22 2014, 10:23 AM

Hi Mick,

If your only problem is outgoing mail the problem is most likely the smtp server. You can check if bigpond has any issues at:

http://servicestatus.telstra.com/servicest...?q=summary.html

If they have no problems, I would look in Internet settings in control panel and see if some unwanted program has set a proxy server for you. Are you getting any peculiar redirections in your web browsing? that would further support the idea that something is rearranging things for you and you should run a scan on your system.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 22 2014, 10:23 AM
  Quote Post

Anyone having problems with Bigpond email??
I can receive but NOT send in Livemail, outlook, or even mac mail.
I can send using web mail.
Have spoken to geniuses from Tesltra but all they can suggest is that I reinstall outlook, livemail etc etc.
Everything was fine up until Saturday when they did their server upgrades. Am I suspicious or what??

Mick

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Apr 8 2014, 09:43 AM
  Quote Post

re Java:
I received advice from D2MX Support (MDS) that it's OK to upgrade to the new Java on Windows 7 machines.

We do know about Java 8, which is compatible with Iress. Though [...] XP will not upgrade to Java 8.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: oracle  

197 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING