Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

16 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Climate, Earth's Climate
sprotty
post Posted: Today, 08:24 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Today, 07:14 AM

It wasn't addressed to you at all but all anti-anthropogenists (hopefully this isn't offensive to anyone). I didn't realise that the term I used had such connotations. I guess this is at least proof of Godwins Law. I come to this site to learn and certainly have. Probably the main learning is to keep opinions to myself on this site which I will from now on.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Today, 07:14 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: sprotty's post @ Today, 05:23 AM

Sprotty, if you wern't having a crack, why use the term deniers at all??
Was it labelled at me, who posted the original quote, or was it labelled at the person/website from which I provided the data.
And what exactly are you accusing the "deniers" of denying? Global Warming? The anthropogenic part?The Paris accord? The green new deal?
Deniers has holocaustic links, which is why its use is so antagonistic.
its a pejorative word used by people in the hope of "winning an argument"
In the same way that you cannot have a discussion on the LGBTIQ issue without being labelled a homophobe, or discussing terorrism without being an Islamahobe, or problems with immigration without being labelled a xenophobe.
If you want to bolster the AGW argument, address the original facts.
The article I put up is about data, not about opinions, not modelling, not worst case scenarios etc.
Its reproducible. Anyone can get hold of the raw data and reproduce the obvious changes.
Now thats science, the rest is software progaming..
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  Pendragon  

sprotty
post Posted: Today, 05:23 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Yesterday, 06:43 AM

My post was in no way meant to be a crack at you. The inverted commas around the term you seem to have taken exception to signified "for want of a better term" and was direct at "deniers" in general not you specifically. My question was a honest one - what is the agenda of the official agencies and "pro-agw climate scientists" in misrepresenting data?

In the few quite genuine posts I have made on this thread I have been accused of being emotive and calling people petty names. Phew. I don't think I am the one being emotive.

joules mm1
post Posted: Today, 12:22 AM
  Quote Post

A plan to use snow collected in Japan’s mountains to cool 2020 Olympics venues this summer is being stymied by snowfalls on track to be the lowest on record

https://reut.rs/2HZcOmH

https://twitter.com/i/status/1233034047451881475

--------------------
. . . . . . . . everything has an art.....in the instance of the auction process, the only thing, needed to be listened to; price

henrietta
post Posted: Yesterday, 06:43 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: sprotty's post @ Yesterday, 06:09 AM

Mate, feel free to call me petty names if that floats your boat. My beef with BOM is that they changed from using raw data to "homogenised" data, which then gives them the power to pick and choose which numbers they want to use. As far as I'm concerned that is not a proper scientific approach.
The world may well be warming, as it has done many times before. I'm not convinced that our human actions are the major cause. I really don't want the world to waste trillions doing unnecessary and fruitless actions.

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

sprotty
post Posted: Yesterday, 06:09 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Feb 26 2020, 08:27 PM

Just what do you think is their agenda? It's pretty clear what the "deniers" agenda is but not so clear what the agenda is of those who are reporting the effects of climate change other than to make change before its too late.

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 26 2020, 08:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Feb 26 2020, 07:27 PM

I haven't trusted BOM climate statistics for some time ........ ever since I found out that they started "homogenising", and ignoring carefully collected data by hundreds of volunteers over a century or more.

The BOM has an agenda, which is a shame, because it used to be universally trusted, even if it wasn't always correct. The BOM executives should hang their heads in shame.

Cheers
J

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 26 2020, 07:27 PM
  Quote Post

Here is a perfectly good example why I have some measure of distrust in relation to the "the world is hotta than evahhh" meme.

From Jo Nova
If the Bureau of Meteorology’s Australian Climate Observation Reference Network (ACORN) accurately corrects historic temperature observations, it means that Marble Bar in the north of WA can no longer boast it had a world record heatwave in 1923/24.

Marble Bar has been world famous for decades because of the 160 consecutive days in which it recorded maxima at or above 37.8C (100F or a “century” in the Fahrenheit days).

The Marble Bar thermometer in a Stevenson screen topped 100F every day from 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924, and nowhere else on earth is known to have recorded 160 century days in a row without a break.

Marble Bar is now a runner-up
The BoM website used to have a Climate Education page explaining Marble Bar’s heatwave record. The National Library of Australia considered it to be of national significance and has archived it for posterity.

In 2020, the BoM website still has a page that explains: Marble Bar, in the Pilbara, holds the Australian record for the longest sequence of days over the old century mark (100°F or 37.8°C). This occurred during the period from 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924 when the maximum temperature equalled or exceeded 100°F for 160 days in a row.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics acknowledges the world record and Australians have heard about the Marble Bar heatwave record for many decades :

Temperature dataset downloads from the BoM website show that ACORN has cooled 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924 so much that the Pilbara town can no longer boast that it had a world record 160 consecutive days above 37.8C.

ACORN 2, which is described as a world-class homogenisation network, has reduced the 160 days to just 128 – from 1 November 1923 to 7 March 1924.

From 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924, the dates during which the 160 days of 100 or more were recorded, there’s now 153 days at or above 100F.

And the winner is … America
Wikipedia’s Death Valley page states that “The greatest number of consecutive days with a maximum temperature of 100 °F (38 °C) or above was 154 days in the summer of 2001.” This data is confirmed by the American Meteorological Society, which also references 134 consecutive days at Furnace Creek in Death Valley that were above above 37.8C during the summer of 1974.

154 days is less than 160 days but a lot more than 128 days, so it seems that America now holds the world record heatwave of consecutive 37.8C+ days at Death Valley – thanks to ACORN.

On its archived Climate Education page, the BoM states that “The highest temperature recorded during the record spell was 47.5°C on 18 January 1924.”

This is correct in the original RAW temperature dataset (see below), but ACORN 2 cools 18 January 1924 to 47.3C.

An Excel spreadsheet (499kb) with columns of daily maximum temperatures at Marble Bar from October 1923 to April 1924 in ACORN 1, ACORN 2 and RAW can be downloaded here.

Daily cooling adjustments
BoM temperature adjustments to ACORN weather stations have cooled Australia’s history of very hot days (see No more extreme hot days in Australia than 100 years ago and The Australian Bureau of Met hides 50 years of very hot days).

Politicians and climate change skeptics are often scorned for suggesting that the BoM adjusts temperature data to fit a global warming agenda or to cool the past (e.g. Media Watch), and in late 2019 SBS News reported that the bureau denied it has rewritten Australia’s climate record.

No explanation, no press release.
How many other temperatures have been surreptitiously changed?

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: henrietta  

rlane
post Posted: Feb 25 2020, 05:49 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: joules mm1's post @ Feb 23 2020, 10:23 PM

New book ( I thought the title a bit extreme)

Interview with the author

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/24/21145687/clim...-book-interview

and a review

http://www.librarything.com/work/22608713/reviews/172560865

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 25 2020, 08:32 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: joules mm1's post @ Feb 24 2020, 11:56 PM

The problems still exist.
The salts are highly corrosive, regardless of the use.
The containment issues still apply.
There are still issues with the high freezing point of salts.
Mick

--------------------

16 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING