Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

497 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 > »    

Reply to this topic

SLX, SILEX SYSTEMS LIMITED
moosey
post Posted: Jun 15 2010, 01:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: gulf's post @ Jun 15 2010, 07:28 AM

Gulf,from my limited understanding, I believe they achieve this by using electroluminescence, I believe they can do this on their patented SOI/DBR? I guess we will hear more on this soon, if you look at the patent by Lepton Technologies, in their earlier attempts on IR Infrared Sensing they used Stirling refrigeration from what I can see, they also used upconversion, mechanical refrigeration such as sterling causes some vibration which hampers focussing, I believe both of these things can be done by using SOI/DBR and it is solid state, no moving parts,and to temperatures well below peltier or stirling refrigeration is what I am reading, hence much better focussing? the upconversion I am sure of, the cooling bit is a little hard to pin down totally just yet, but I will get there, unless we are told sooner!
But if this optical cooling is successful, they it will have huge implications for many technologies, including computing and moores law.

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

Said 'Thanks' for this post: gulf  03boz  Me123  

gulf
post Posted: Jun 15 2010, 07:28 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jun 13 2010, 11:28 PM

some time back they talked about reducng the heat in chips-have we had any more on this ?

gone fishin'
post Posted: Jun 14 2010, 07:53 PM
  Quote Post

Hitachi business strategy looking to provide one stop service.

http://www.hitachi.com/New/cnews/100609/20...9e_2_PS_fin.pdf

moosey
post Posted: Jun 13 2010, 11:28 PM
  Quote Post

This may possibly be the first use of Translucents upconversion and also electroluminescence causing thermocooling, I say the FIRST because this will possibly lead to many other developments in many other technologies, Solar being just one of them, you will notice the patent date United States Patent 7,655,327 February 02, 2010 and hence the release timing from Translucent and also Silex, see the February release from silex, I believe the company they are reffering to about Infrared (IR) Sensing is a company called Lepton Technologies inc, you will also notice what has been the driver for most of this "Predominantly defense applications drive this technology" so that is why we haven't heard much, but this technology (up down conversion and optical cooling) have heaps of applications to many other technologies, Solar being not the least of them, there are may other areas where this will come into play, things like cooling larger lasers (uranium Enrichment ring a bell?) Cooling for Nuclear power, Tactical Lasers, Space Travel ,Space Tracking for debris, Space Telescopes, Optical Refrigeration, Optical Air Conditioning, the possibilities go on and on,the military application alone will be huge, I think this time I have backed the right horse for once.

http://www.silex.com.au/public/uploads/ann...Op%20Update.pdf

5.3 Advanced Electronic Materials:
(ii) Infrared (IR) Sensing: It is speculated that rare earth oxides can extend
the spectral sensing range of silicon into the infra red. Current IR imaging
technology is based on very expensive small scale compound
semiconductors that must be hybridized with a silicon detector.
Predominantly defense applications drive this technology because of the
high cost involved. Translucents approach using REO materials that are
scalable and can be monolithically integrated with silicon, could
potentially allow new cost sensitive markets to be accessed (eg medical
and industrial). This work is being conducted in conjunction with anotherthird party/potential end-user.

http://www.patentvest.com/console/reports/...nt/7501627.html
http://www.patentvest.com/console/reports/...t/07655327.html
----------------------------------------------------------
Lepton Technologies Inc.

Lepton Technologies received notification from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office that the patent Integrated Ultra-Sensitive Infrared Sensor has been ...
www.lepton-tech.com/ - Cached - Similar

12.19.08: Platform Design Patent Allowed Lepton Technologies received notification from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office that the patent Integrated Ultra-Sensitive Infrared Sensor has been allowed. This patent has been broadly written as a platform design that covers the compact integration of a photon-counting visible light detector (PMT or APD) with an infrared-to-visible upconversion front end.
Lepton Technologies was founded to bring a new generation of performance to IR photon counting. Through upconversion we access the high gain, low noise, no afterpulse features of visible PMTs to create a room-temperature, high-volume detection platform that serves wavelengths in the 1.0-3.5 um band.

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

Said 'Thanks' for this post: gulf  03boz  

moosey
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 09:50 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jun 10 2010, 07:01 PM

Sorry I meant to add this link http://www.usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/P...s/synopsis.html

Every silex shareholder should read this, as it relates to at least two technologies they are using, Laser Enrichment and also Concentrator Solar power, as well as rooftop solar.

Cheers M

--------------------

moosey
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 07:01 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jun 10 2010, 04:53 PM

Hmmm I think I know where this has come from?
"This could permit the scaling of solid-state lasers to much higher powers than is currently possible."

Does that relate to something else we are invested in, does HIGH POWER lasers ring a bell ?????

I'M getting pretty excited about this, if what I am reading and my understanding of it is correct?

I believe they are saying that this up/down conversion causes Photoluminescence,which is captured from outside the 500 to 1,100nm range and then converted to a light source within that range as just another light source to change into electricity,and by converting the light from outside of that bandwidth in the form of photoluminescence it also causes cooling at the same time similar to how the laser does? that to me sounds pretty cool, excuse the pun.

Excimer Model for Photoluminescence in Single-Crystal C60 - The ...
by PM Pippenger - 1996 - Cited by 9 - Related articles
Figure 2 Fast-cooled (a) and slow-cooled (b) C60 PL Spectra taken at 10 K. Dotted ... of the excimer S1 excited state manifold to the excimer ground state, ...
pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp952340q

It is possible to cool a material by anti-Stokes fluorescence. This simply means that the material emits photons which have a higher mean energy than those it absorbs. The energy difference arises from thermal excitations in the sample. Effectively, heat is converted into light, which leaves the material and is dumped onto a heat sink elsewhere.
The cooling efficiency can be defined as the ratio of the cooling power in the active material to the input electric power to the pump light source. Experimental measurements and theoretical calculations indicate that the cooling efficiency of this anti-Stokes process is competitive with existing thermoelectric and Stirling-cycle cryocoolers. Thus a refrigerator based on this process could be manufactured which has no moving parts, is light-weight, and can in principle cool to any desired final temperature. A second application is to the construction of a portable laser which requires no external coolant system, using optical cooling via the pump beam directly. This could permit the scaling of solid-state lasers to much higher powers than is currently possible.

I can't wait to tell my son about this as he is a refrigeration air conditioning mechanic.

--------------------

moosey
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 04:53 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jun 10 2010, 02:17 PM

Have a look at this site, it is truly amazing how this works, I not sure if this is the exact process that Solar Systems are using when they say manifold cooling? perhaps those modules shown on page 35 on the R/H side in the last investor update are related to this process, it certainly looks like some sort of heat exchanger? I can't copy the photo to paste here, but as I said it's in the investor update towards the end on p35.

here is the link I am talking about. http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/bec/lascool1.html

I remember when Solar Systems were first bought by Silex, one of the writer in a renewable energy site commentated on how in the hell did Silex think it could overcome the necessity of having huge cooling ponds for their technology, well I reckon they have the answer by using this technology above.

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/PhysicsIni.../bec/index.html

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: 03boz  

moosey
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 02:17 PM
  Quote Post

When I looked closer at the last investor presentation, on page 33 it states as part of the receiver that it will have "INTERGRATED MANIFOLD COOLING OF OPTICS"

So they may not be going to use water cooling as in the previous method and therefore may not be producing Hydrogen ?

you will need to look at these links to understand what manifold cooling is about,

http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v4/n...n.2009.269.html

This is achieved by making use of the Stark manifold resonance in a crystalline host, and demonstrates the lowest temperature achieved to date without the use of cryogens or mechanical refrigeration. Optical refrigeration has entered the cryogenic regime, surpassing the performance of multi-stage Peltier coolers.

Laser cooling using anti-stokes fluorescence in Yb <Superscript>3+ ... by X Tian-ming - 2002 - Related articles
Key words: anti-Stokes fluorescence; Yb3+-doped ZBLANP glass; cooling efficiency ... the excited-state manifold, the thermal equilibrium in ...
www.springerlink.com/index/K05532561272763X.pdf

Anti-Stokes Fluorescence. - Designfax | HighBeam Research - FREE ... Optical cooling, based on a principle known as anti-Stokes fluorescence, occurs when the amount of energy emitted by a solid, exposed to an energy source, ...
www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-64195553.html - Cached

--------------------

moosey
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 11:08 AM
  Quote Post

Not that the Government has taken notice of these lobbyists
yet, but you would think that governments would lean from the past, the PERL technology went overseas because the government of the day would not support it, Solar has the potential of outstripping wind power by a long shot, if they can increase their efficiencies like they are saying they can, but perhaps the solar scientists should come out now and say just what they do have and silence these lobbyists forever, in some ways companies like Silex Solar are their own worst enemies when it comes to telling us what they have install for us, I just hope they have at least informed the government on what progress they are making.

Renewable Energy News
WEDNESDAY 09 JUNE, 2010
Wind Farm Lobbyists Could Harm Australia's Solar Power Industry

by Energy Matters
http://www.energymatters.com.au/index.php?...;article_id=917

Renewable Energy Target Amendments
According to credible sources, large wind farm developers descended on Canberra last week to lobby members of the Senate to further amend upcoming changes to the Renewable Energy Target - amendments that may negatively impact on Australia's home solar power industry.

The Renewable Energy Target requires electricity retailers to purchase and surrender a certain number of renewable energy certificates (RECs) each year. The volume of certificates surrendered is ramping up to be at least the equivalent of 20% of Australia?s energy by 2020.

Each renewable energy certificate is the equivalent of 1 megawatt of renewable energy production. These certificates form the basis of many rebates that make solar power affordable for households.

On 25 February 2010, the Government announced that it intends to split the Renewable Energy Target (RET) and associated renewable energy certificates into two systems - the SRET and the LRET. Certificates from small renewable energy systems such as home solar power and solar hot water systems would fall under the SRET and certificates from large renewable energy systems such as wind farms will be under the LRET from 1 January 2011, assuming the legislation is passed.

The splitting of the RET is intended to help stabilise the falling values of renewable energy certificates and would provide a minimum value under the SRET of $40 per certificate.

The proposed change to the legislation, which occurred after extensive consultation with renewable energy companies including national solar solutions provider Energy Matters, was also designed to allow contracts for the future supply of renewable energy certificates that pre-date 25 February 2010 to be settled with the higher value certificates created under the new SRET system.

While such contracts are not overly common, sources say large wind farm developers want to prevent the arrangement from happening altogether to create a shortage of large scale renewable energy certificates sooner. This would significantly increase the price of large scale renewable energy certificates, boosting the wind power sector's profits for new projects rolled out..

According to Energy Matters, this further change proposed by the large wind farm developers may benefit the wind sector, but could bankrupt or significantly hinder some smaller renewable energy companies that sell solar hot water and solar power systems to households and businesses. Those that are able to keep their doors open would have to pass on increased prices to customers due to the current lower value of RECs, which will slow down the green revolution that is currently occurring at a household level in Australia.

"Energy Minister Martin Ferguson said some time ago that renewable energy isn't about picking winners at this point; but if the large wind power lobby gets their way on this, that's exactly what will happen. Big wind power wins and small scale solar power loses," says Energy Matters legal adviser Narelle Kossatz.

"If the legislation is passed, it's critical that consideration must be maintained for companies who entered into forward contracts under the reasonable assumption that small generation RECs were allowed to be traded. All existing contracts as of 25 February 2010 should be allowed to be fulfilled with renewable energy certificates created under the new SRET system."

--------------------

moosey
post Posted: Jun 9 2010, 06:11 PM
  Quote Post

This is similar to what Translucent have, it shows what sort of efficiencies they are getting I hope the one that translucent is producing is better and cheaper?

Third Generation Photovoltaics

[b]Up/Down Conversion [/b]

Schematic diagram of (a) down-conversion; and (b) up-conversion systems.

In previous years the combination of solar cells with luminescent up- and/or down-converters have both been demonstrated in theoretical studies by Centre researchers to be very promising approaches to reach very high conversion efficiencies. These ideas are also well established as new third-generation-concepts within the PV community.

For down-[b]conversion[/b], the luminescent converter is located on the front surface of a solar cell, which has a band-gap energy Eg. High-energy photons with energy >2Eg are absorbed by the converter and efficiently down-converted into two lower energy photons with energy >Eg, which can both be absorbed by the solar cell. (A geometry with the down-converter on the rear surface of the cell gives a slightly higher efficiency but requires limited width conduction and valence bands in the cell, which is rather unrealistic). For [b]up-conversion[/b], the converter is located on the rear of a bifacial cell. It absorbs low energy photons transmitted by the cell and re-emits photons above the band gap of the cell. In both cases the solar cell and the converter are electronically isolated from each other.

Previously published theoretical analysis, based on detailed balance calculations, was extended to realistic Air Mass (AM) spectra. This revealed that a solar cell with a band-gap energy of 2 eV and with an optimised up-converter attached to its rear surface can reach an [b]efficiency of up to 50.7% [/b]for a non-concentrated AM1.5 spectrum.

By variation of the incident spectrum from AM1 to AM10 it could also be shown that the up-conversion system has a significantly better spectral robustness than a series connected triple tandem solar cell. This is a fundamental advantage that is particularly important for any terrestrial application. The up-conversion system is also preferable to anon-series connected tandem stacked cell as the latter requires six contacts and external voltage matching whilst the up-converter only needs two external contacts.

One of the appealing aspects and advantages of these approaches is that they can be applied to existing solar cells and that therefore experimental work can be carried out with relatively uncomplicated structures. In initial proof-of-concept studies, the focus was on the up-conversion system, mainly due to the availability of efficient luminescent phosphors.

Up-conversion phosphors (NaYF4:20% Er3+), kindly provided by collaborators from the university of Bern, Switzerland, were adhered to the rear surface of bifacial buried contact solar cells.

There was a small enhancement in photoresponse, with spectral absorption features characteristic of the particular phosphor used, giving clear proof that the enhanced photo response of the cell is due to up-conversion. Furthermore, an external quantum efficiency (EQE) exceeding 1% could be demonstrated, a very promising result, especially given that it was obtained with a test structure that was far from being optimised.

There are several paths towards significantly higher EQEs, including: optimisation of the phosphor concentration; optimisation of the thickness and the homogeneity of the phosphor layer; and the use of more efficient bifacial cells with a better red response (which will be provided by the Fraunhofer Institute für Solare Energiesysteme). Significantly higher up-conversion efficiencies may thus be achieved in the near term, which will then be in a range, where real efficiency improvements of the solar cells are within reach.

<h3 class="r">School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering, UNSW ...</h3>

--------------------

497 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING