Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

12 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

RARE EARTHS
blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 10 2019, 12:17 PM
  Quote Post

Rare earths: China continues to remind USA of rare earth dominance amidst trade tensions
The trade war between the USA and China continues to rumble on, impacting industries which rely on trade between the two nations. The USA has not proceeded with tariffs on rare earth products in previous rounds and the announcement of additional tariffs totalling US$300Bn in August is reported to be based on a list of commodities which expressly excludes rare earth materials and other critical minerals. As a result, rare earths are likely to be unaffected by US tariffs, though China appears much more likely and better positioned to implement restrictions on the trade of rare earths and downstream products between the two nations.

The Association of China Rare Earths Industry (ACREI) announced in August it would support China’s use of retaliatory measures against the USA as part of the on-going trade war. ACREI accused the USA of “trade bullying behaviour” and expressed its firm opposition to additional U.S. tariffs announced in August. No restrictions on rare earth trade have been reported by Chinese officials, though ACREI’s announcement acts as a reminder of China’s dominance in the rare earths industry. Rare earths are used in the manufacture of many products for the petroleum, automotive, military and high-technology industries based in the USA.

Chinese exports of rare earth compounds increased 14.8% in June to 3,591t, with exports to Japan more than doubling from those in May. Conversely, Chinese exports to the USA fell by more than 28% to 911t, though they remained within the typical range of monthly trade volumes. The introduction of additional tariffs could further diminish China-USA trade in rare earth compounds, even without a definitive ban or tariffs being applied directly to rare earth products.

https://roskill.com/news/rare-earths-china-...trade-tensions/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 6 2019, 02:39 PM
  Quote Post

Yuan's descent through crucial $7 barrier bearish for minerals, metals
By WILLIAM CLARKE
Published: Monday, 05 August 2019

The yuan has been allowed by Beijing to fall to an 11-year low against the dollar, promising a further acceleration in the US-China trade war - a move that is bearish for several metals and minerals markets.

The crucial yuan-dollar exchange rate took a dive on Monday morning, kicking the US-China trade war into an even higher gear and threatening, among others, the markets of indium, antimony and rare earths

https://www.indmin.com/Article/3887610/Yuan...als-metals.html

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 24 2019, 10:37 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jul 13 2019, 12:51 PM

Trump tells Pentagon to find better sources of rare earth magnet
Ernest Scheyder

(Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday told the Pentagon to find better ways to procure a rare earth magnet used in specialty motors, warning that the nation’s defense would suffer without adequate stockpiles.

read more - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-rare...t-idUSKCN1UH2L4

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jul 13 2019, 12:51 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Jul 13 2019, 12:01 PM

Rare Earths must be due another time on the sun.

And it's got to be neodymium and praseodymium demand in magnets.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 13 2019, 12:01 PM
  Quote Post

Marco Rubio Introduces a Bill to Boost the U.S. Rare-Earth Industry
Florida senator says China has subsidized its industry for rare earths
By Timothy Puko
Updated July 11, 2019 5:32 am ET
WASHINGTON—Legislation aimed at making the U.S. more competitive with China for processing critical rare-earth minerals is set to be introduced in Congress on Thursday.

The bill by Sen. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.), would allow investors to form a cooperative that is exempt from antitrust laws, in an attempt to shield it from government-backed competition from China and volatile markets that have made it virtually nonexistent in the U.S. The Secretary of Commerce would secure a charter for the business, though it would need to be privately funded and operated under the terms of the legislation.

read more - https://www.wsj.com/articles/marco-rubio-in...try-11562837405?

Exclusive: Pentagon races to track U.S. rare earths output amid China trade dispute
Ernest Scheyder
6 MIN READ

(Reuters) - The Pentagon is rapidly assessing the United States’ rare earths capability in a race to secure stable supply of the specialized material amid the country’s trade conflict with China, which controls the rare earths industry, according to a government document seen by Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-rare...e-idUSKCN1U727N

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 2 2019, 07:10 PM
  Quote Post

Rare Earths: Toyota’s EV goals and its impact on rare earths
extract
Lanthanum and cerium are already significantly oversupplied, and batteries accounted for around 13% of demand for these elements in 2018, over 6% of which was in hybrid electric vehicles. Once Toyota switches battery technology away from NiMH, the demand for lanthanum (and to a lesser extent, cerium) will be adversely affected. An accelerated decline in demand for these elements in batteries would exacerbate the already expanding surplus supply as the rare earths industry focusses its attention on neodymium and praseodymium demand in magnets.

read moe - https://roskill.com/news/rare-earths-toyota...on-rare-earths/

A little dated but some useful info on - Australian Rare-Earth-Element (REE) Deposits and Prospects
http://www.ga.gov.au/webtemp/image_cache/GA19677.pdf

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jun 24 2019, 12:33 PM
  Quote Post

China solidifies Rare Earth dominance

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/art...arth-processing
Today, the disparity between China and the United States continues in part because the Pentagon, government agencies, and the finance and mining industries measure the extraction of rare earths at the mining and oxide production level. Hundreds of rare earth mining projects outside of China have been initiated, giving the erroneous impression that Western rare earth dependence on China may be declining. However, most ultimately fail.

Out of more than 400 rare earth startups publicly listed in 2012, less than five reached production. Of those, only two reached significant volumes. Of those two, one is bankrupt and resurrected with Chinese financing and the other lost its operating permit for a short period.

During this time, China has taken significant equity and debt positions in many of these failed or faltering projects and will control them if they begin production....

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jun 5 2019, 09:46 AM
  Quote Post

The United States will take “unprecedented actions” to ensure the supply of strategic minerals and rare earths critical to the tech sector and the military, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says.

China is a major supplier of the critical materials and as the trade conflict with Washington has escalated, Beijing has dangled a threat of cutting exports of rare earths as a counter-strike to US tariffs.

Mr Ross said in a statement that a new report designates 35 minerals as “critical to the economic and national security” of America, including uranium, titanium, and rare earth elements needed for smartphones, computers, aircraft and GPS systems, among other uses.

“These critical minerals are often overlooked but modern life without them would be impossible,” Mr Ross said. "Through the recommendations detailed in this report, the federal government will take unprecedented action to ensure that the United States will not be cut off from these vital materials.”

President Donald Trump has ramped up his aggressive stance towards China in a bid to pressure the country to change its objectionable trade practices but the most recent flare-up caused talks to breakdown, especially due to US actions against Chinese tech giant Huawei.

In December 2017, Mr Trump called on Commerce and other government agencies to develop new sources of critical minerals to reduce vulnerabilities to supply disruptions, especially from foreign sources.

The report calls for actions including improving supplies “through investment and trade with America’s allies,” while streamlining permitting for mining in the United States, including on federal lands. It also lists a plan to improve mapping and data collection to promote domestic mineral exploration.
AFP

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: May 31 2019, 02:03 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 31 2019, 01:53 PM

Opportunities Exist within a Trade War

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2019/05/31/opp...e-earths-boron/

US-China trade war has brought to the surface a number of vulnerable sectors, namely rare earths. Long-time readers will know of my support for Lynas (LYC) given the long-term demand from electric vehicle infrastructure and the current risks of China retaliations with a curb on rare earth exports has brought the importance AND sensitivity of this sector to any supply disruptions back into focus. LYC jumped in two days by 50% to hit levels above $3.00! Other rare earth players like Peak Resources (PEK) and Alkane (ALK) leaped by 42% and 25% respectively.

Interestingly rare earth prices have been rising for several months now as shown below [see link]; Dysprosium Oxide shown in white, Terbium Oxide in yellow and Neodymium in orange. This suggests that there have been other underlying factors to the increase in prices beyond just the trade war this week. Could increasing demand from the application of EVs, electrical chargers and renewable energy beginning to have an effect?

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: May 31 2019, 01:53 PM
  Quote Post

China's Trade War "Nuclear Option"

https://amp-news-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/...e418bdc6ad76537

With one shot, [China] could shoot-down the entire F-35 stealth fighter production program. It could cripple Silicon Valley. It could send Apple into administration.

“United States, don’t underestimate China’s ability to strike back,” the official mouthpiece of the ruling Chinese Communist Party, the People’s Daily , writes......

--------------------

12 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING