Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

15 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 12 13 14 15   

Reply to this topic

Short selling
arty
post Posted: May 25 2009, 09:23 AM
  Quote Post

short selling Banks will again be permitted as from today

Australia ends short-selling ban on financials
24 MAY 2009 22:40:23

MELBOURNE, May 25 (Reuters) - Australia's market regulator
will lift a ban on covered short-selling of financial stocks
effective from the opening of trade on Monday, it said.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

rossw
post Posted: Jan 29 2009, 02:23 PM
  Quote Post

it's "distasteful" that he made money on the short side, but not for the execs who got their big bonuses on phoney ride up?

--------------------
I've started keeping a record of my SPI day trading
Check it out at oztrading.blogspot.com
Feel free to leave a comment so I know I'm not just talking to myself.

flower
post Posted: Jan 27 2009, 10:38 PM
  Quote Post

Consequences of short selling?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Paulson & Co., the hedge fund run by billionaire John Paulson, made at least 295 million pounds ($420 million) since September by short selling Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc.

Paulson held a short position of 0.87 percent in Edinburgh- based RBS on Sept. 19, according to regulatory filings. The shares traded at 213.5 pence at the time, and Paulson’s disclosure indicates he borrowed almost 144 million RBS shares with plans to buy them back at a lower price. He reduced his short position to less than 0.25 percent, or about 98.6 million shares, as of Jan. 23, according to a filing yesterday.

RBS closed at 12.1 pence on Jan. 23, down 94 percent since Sept. 19, as the bank said it would take as much as 20 billion pounds of writedowns in 2008 and post the biggest loss in U.K. history. That decline indicates Paulson made 295 million pounds, assuming it had a 0.25 percent short position on Jan. 23. Paulson, the 53-year-old founder of the $36 billion New York-based hedge fund, made more than $3 billion in 2007 by judging that the U.S. housing market and subprime mortgages would collapse.

Paulson, who couldn’t immediately be reached for comment, also profited from shorting Barclays Plc the Financial Times reported earlier.

The Financial Services Authority, Britain’s market regulator, lifted on Jan. 16 a short-selling ban on financial companies including RBS and Barclays. The restrictions were imposed last September after politicians and investors blamed hedge funds for destabilizing markets and interfering with the banks’ plans to increase capital by selling shares.

‘Distasteful’

“It does appear to anyone from the outside looking in a bit distasteful,” said Michael Trippitt, a London-based analyst at Oriel Securities Ltd. who has a “reduce” rating on RBS. “To allow there to be a lift on the ban was plain daft.”

Short sellers borrow shares and sell them with plans to buy them back at a lower price. FSA Chairman Adair Turner told BBC Radio 4 on Jan. 22 that there was no evidence that short selling had led to significant falls in banking shares. The FTSE 350 Banks Index declined 58 percent in the last six months, with RBS, Lloyds Banking Group Plc and Barclays falling the most.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jon Menon in London at jmenon1@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: January 27, 2009 06:11 EST adType = "OAS"; Category = "03"; HCat = "x20"; Keys = "null"; Width = "3"; Height = "3"; Tile = "3";CallAd(adType, HCat, Width, Height, Tile, Keys, Category);Advertisement: Top hedge fund managers reveal how they profit in good times and bad.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

robjb5
post Posted: Oct 30 2006, 03:43 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: rocksteady on Sunday 29/10/06 07:53pm

Old Oliental Ploverb, " man who sell what isn' his'n often go to in prison!! ph34r.gif

wolverine
post Posted: Oct 29 2006, 08:12 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: rocksteady on Sunday 29/10/06 07:53pm

short selling is selling stock you don't own (ie borrowing stock) to sell in the hope/belief you will be able to buy them back cheaper and profit from the difference at some point in the future.

more or less owning stock is having a 'long' position in which you make money from moves that increase the price.

being 'short' you make money on a move that decreases the price.

a short covering rally is when short sellers are buying stock to balance their books and this sometimes leads to sudden sharp upward rallies as they chase stock at any price.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

rocksteady
post Posted: Oct 29 2006, 07:53 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: wolverine on Tuesday 16/05/06 10:15am

Hi wolverine,
would you ,or some other Sharescener, please explain what "Short Selling" is, in plain English.I still don't understand !!!!
thank you ,
biggrin.gif

rocksteady

wolverine
post Posted: May 16 2006, 10:15 AM
  Quote Post

sometimes stocks with large short sold positions have some excellent short covering rallies....so i wouldn't spend too long looking or worrying about it. look at it but don't over-analyse it is probably fair advice.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

doc-gt
post Posted: May 16 2006, 10:09 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: wolverine on Tuesday 16/05/06 10:34am

Thanks Wolverine

One of the things I am trying to work out is whether the ASX short sell list might be something that I could add to my checklist when deciding whether to take a position in a stock.

For instance, someone once suggested to me that it might be prudent to do more due diligence on a stock if it was showing up on the ASX short sell list as overweight with short sellers. That seemed to make sense, but as I said in my previous post, I have frequently noticed that there are some stocks which are overweight with short sellers but which are otherwise generating buy signals through various technical analysis factors.

So, what seemed to make sense on the face of it, has become somewhat confusing.

regards
doc-gt

wolverine
post Posted: May 16 2006, 09:34 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: doc-gt on Tuesday 16/05/06 09:17am

you might take this as simplistic but every day someone sells a stock that someone buys. it isn't hard to imagine someone having an opposite view to longs.

if you want a complicated answer then it could be due to pairs trading. this could involve selling one stock and buying another and making money on the relative performance of similar stocks eg. Cu miner A moves 80%, Cu miner B moves 5%. may indicate sell A and buy B and hope the gap closes. there are other pairs trades that may relate to seemingly non-related companies but still bear a relationship be it directly proportional or inversely proportional.

maybe some food for thought.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

doc-gt
post Posted: May 16 2006, 09:17 AM
  Quote Post

For some time I have been trying to make sense of the ASX daily short sell list, which can be found at the following link: http://www.asx.com.au/data/shortsell.txt

At face value, the list seems to indicate the number of shares in a stock which the ASX will permit to be subject to short selling, along with the number and percentage of shares in a stock which are actually subject to short selling on a particular day (the short sell list seems to lag the current trading day by between 1 and 2 days).

My concern is that I may be missing something because every time I look at the ASX short sell list, there always seem to be a number of stocks with a high volume of short sell positions in the market, when simple technical analysis factors such as on-balance-volume would otherwise suggest that trading in such stocks is favouring buyers not sellers!

Can anyone shed light on this conundrum or perhaps point to something that I might be missing in my understanding of the ASX short sell list?

regards
doc-gt

15 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 12 13 14 15

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING