Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

83 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 >   

Reply to this topic

COVID-19, Pandemic
mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 31 2020, 07:59 PM
  Quote Post

According toOZ Newspaper

Q
ueensland will be closed to non-critical mine workers from other states from this weekend as restrictions continue to tighten in the battle to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Mines Minister Anthony Lynham said only interstate fly-in-fly-out mine workers who were critical to a mine’s operations will be allowed into Queensland from midnight Saturday to protect remote and regional communities and local mine workforces.

“As all resources ministers around the country have said, the resources sector is essential to maintaining a strong Australian economy,” he said.

“It is critical that we move now to prevent people who may have been exposed to the virus bringing it to Queensland.

“Queensland has no known cases in our remote regional communities, and restricting these workers from entering the State will remove a possible transmission route.

“Exempting critical people will ensure that resources projects can continue to produce the mineral and energy resources we need,” Dr Lynham said.

“Most importantly, these critical people will ensure projects operate safely for the workers on site.”

The ban will exempt people who have statutory positions specified in legislation, including workers responsible for health and safety.

The changes do not affect FIFO or DIDO workers travelling from within Queensland.

Difficult to work out what impact it will have on QLD miners, depends on how many come from interstate.
But expect dome falls for QLD mines shares on the open tomorrow.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 31 2020, 09:26 AM
  Quote Post

I think the covid 19 virus self isolating is starting to affect my mental health.
This morning I cleaned the oven.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 30 2020, 09:51 AM
  Quote Post

I had an email from a mate in South Africa.
They are in complete lockdown- he can't even go out for a Jog.
One of the interesting aspects of South Africa is that given their incidences of AIDS, poor nutrition, high density population (at least in the non white townships), I would have thought that they woild have high rates of infections and high mortality rate as well.
They have had 1200 positive results from testing, and so far only 1 death.
They currently no cases in ICU. (which is good, as they don't have that many ICU Beds)..
The suggestion is that because the govt instituted a policy of compulsory vaccination against TB for the entire population, it is somehow providing a measure of immunity.
The Belgians are rushing through a 100 person double test to see how well the vacc correlates to immunity.
This is supported by OZ research
From science alert
Australian researchers are fast-tracking large-scale human testing to see if a vaccine used for decades to prevent tuberculosis can protect health workers from COVID-19, they announced Friday.
The trial of the BCG vaccine will be conducted with 4,000 health workers in hospitals around Australia to determine if it can reduce COVID-19 symptoms, the researchers at the Murdoch Children's Research Institute in Melbourne said.

"Although originally developed against tuberculosis, and still given to over 130 million babies annually for that purpose, BCG also boosts humans' 'frontline' immunity, training it to respond to germs with greater intensity," they said in a statement.

"We hope to see a reduction in the prevalence and severity of COVID-19 symptoms in healthcare workers receiving the BCG vaccination," said lead researcher Nigel Curtis.

He said the 4,000 subjects would be enrolled in the trial within weeks under a fast-tracked process with the approval of state and federal health authorities. "The clock is definitely ticking," he said.

Similar trials are being conducted in several other countries including the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.

Lets hope it shows a strong correlation.
I had a TB booster a while back when we were working in Vanuatu, hope its still current!!

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: henrietta  

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 02:17 PM
  Quote Post

Sweden has a different approach ....... trying to proceed as normal, with a few distancing guidelines. As this person says ....

Dr Emma Frans says history will be the judge of which politicians and scientists around Europe have made the best calls so far.
"Nobody really knows what measurements will be the most effective," she says. "I'm quite glad that I'm not the one making these decisions".

" I'm quite glad that I'm not the one making these decisions." And so say all of us !

Cheers
J

ps So far, Sweden has 10 deaths per 1M pop, and Australia has 0-5 .

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 11:00 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 28 2020, 07:01 PM

Whoops....... NZ has its first death. Bugger!

Cheers
J

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 10:45 AM
  Quote Post

An interesting Gallup poll from the US shows a surprising level of support for most US institutions in the way these institutions are handling the virus.
from Gallup

Here’s the breakdown of approve/disapprove:

U.S. Hospitals: 88 percent vs. 10 percent.
Your child’s school or daycare: 83 percent vs. 9 percent
Your state government: 82 percent vs. 17 percent
Your employer: 82 percent vs. 14 percent
Government health agencies such as the CDC or NIH: 80 percent vs. 17 percent
Vice President Mike Pence: 61 percent vs. 32 percent
President Donald Trump: 60 percent vs. 38 percent
Congress: 59 percent vs. 37 percent.

Gees, even Trump has a positive rating. he just beat Congress.
But way down the bottom of the list is the US Media.
The news media: 44 percent vs. 55 percent
it is the only one of the institutions where the approval rate is lower than the disapproval rate.

Gallop could not bring itself to mention the absolute figures showing how poorly the media rated
However, it did comment on the partisan nature of politics thusly
Only on the news media's handling of the coronavirus are Democrats more approving than Republicans -- 61% vs. 25%, respectively. Gallup has consistently found that Democrats have more confidence than Republicans in mass media.

Despite this, Gallops take on the figures

Americans are largely approving of how U.S. institutions and leaders are responding to the coronavirus situation.

Unless you are part of the media of course.

I guess given that orgs such as Gallop get a chunk of their income from the Media , they are unlikely to tip a bucketfull on their providers.

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 08:43 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 28 2020, 07:01 PM

Theres no old people in New Zealand.
Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 06:24 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 28 2020, 01:19 PM

J,
The Financial Times has a website where there's free access, no paywall, even download an app. Covers all countries:

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Seems to be updated quite frequently

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: birnam  henrietta  

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 28 2020, 07:01 PM
  Quote Post

New Zealand ....... 451 cases, 0 deaths.

That's pretty impressive .

Cheers
J

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 28 2020, 01:19 PM
  Quote Post

Yikes ...... the Closed cases results don't look too good ..... from a COVID STATS website, which seems kosher ...

160,728 Cases which had an outcome:

133,363 (83%Recovered / Discharged

27,365 (17%) Deaths

Cripes, the 17% is a bit sobering.

Cheers
J
the link https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

83 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING