Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

501 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > »    

Reply to this topic

CRICKET
triage
post Posted: Nov 2 2019, 07:51 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Nov 2 2019, 07:05 AM

Good on Glenn Maxwell for looking after himself and having the guts to recognise he is crook and to do something about it. And good on Steve Waugh, a reputed hardman, for backing Maxwell up. I read somewhere that something like a quarter of young people have mental health issues. Not sure of the reasons - high expectations, social media, low life prospects, ?? dunno - but whatever the reason it can be very debilitating for the sufferer. To suggest to them when they are at their "weakest" that they need to harden up apparently is not always the best option.

To show just how distorted the times are, Cricket Australia actually agreed, for money of course, for a pay to view operator to have exclusive rights to international T20 games and yet we can watch local soccer, basketball, racing, motor sports, rugby, domestic womens cricket all on free to air. Cricket needs to learn the lessons that rugby went through: if you sell out to the pay to view operators and take your product off free to air you might be getting a few more dollars in the short term but you are damaging your product in the longer term.

I watched Meg Lanning smash her team to victory in a rain affected T20 game (late) last night. She was dead lucky as she should have been stumped by about 3 metres early in her innings but champions do what champions do.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

henrietta
post Posted: Nov 2 2019, 07:05 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Nov 1 2019, 09:06 AM

Steve Waugh has some sympathy for Maxwell, and others.

Cheers
J

Steve Waugh has applauded Glenn Maxwell for taking a break because the cricket great can now recognise that 1980s teammates had mental health issues that went untreated.

The decorated former Test skipper said candidly that cricket’s old-school culture would once have made it impossible for a player to take mental health leave even when desperate.

“He (Maxwell) has done the right and courageous thing. I applaud him 100 per cent,” Waugh said in Brisbane. “In the past, we’ve seen it as a sign of weakness if you’re on tour, you’re struggling and the pressure has got to you or you’re homesick. ‘Guts it out’ was always the call.

“I look back at the 1980s and think of players who definitely had issues, but it just wasn’t talked about because there was a stigma attached. Realistically, cricket has always had players who had mental illness and just weren’t recognised or didn’t have an outlet to have it dealt with.”

Cricket Australia announced on Thursday that star allrounder Maxwell had been granted indefinite leave on mental health grounds. His thrilling 62 from 28 balls and fielding masterclass in Australia’s T20 thumping of Sri Lanka in Adelaide last weekend exuberantly masked his troubles.

Stream international cricket Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS including every Australian Test, ODI and T20I on home soil. Get your 14-day free trial >

“It just shows you that you can sometimes hide things on the field where you feel most comfortable … you’re free,” said Waugh, a 168-Test regular for two decades from 1985.

“It’s away from cricket where the situation gets harder. It’s a good thing he’s done what he’s done. There is the support around the side today and it just goes to prove that cricketers are normal like everyone else without some superhuman ability to overcome everything.

“Players are under enormous pressure these days and if you’ve got anything going on away from cricket with the mental side of things then you do need a break.”

Waugh, in Queensland for his Captain’s Ride cycle event that starts in Toowoomba on Monday, recalls long tours of India and Pakistan in the ’80s where some hotels had only one operator-controlled telephone.

“You might queue for a call, have the line drop out and not get to speak to home for three days,” Waugh said. “I know I went through a period where I struggled with stuff but somehow I got through it while there were some dark, troubling times for others.”

Maxwell’s former Australia, Victoria and Melbourne Stars teammate John Hastings said on Friday it was always just a matter of time before the star allrounder took a mental health break.

Hastings revealed he urged him to quit social media five years ago after a barrage of abuse left the allrounder shattered.

“I remember sitting next to him up at the Gabba after a Stars game a few years ago and he said, ‘Have a look at this’,” Hastings said. “It was absolute abuse that he copped and I was like, ‘Mate you’ve got to get off social media, you’ve got to stop worrying about this stuff’.

Maxwell woke up at 3am last Monday and checked Twitter to discover he had been drafted by Shane Warne’s London Spirit to play in The Hundred competition in England next year.

While Maxwell will earn $235,000 for the six-week tournament, it will also further eat into a calendar year where he already has a Twenty20 World Cup and is likely to return to the Indian Premier League.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Nov 1 2019, 09:06 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Oct 31 2019, 03:53 PM

It seems a common theme everywhere.
In the old days, you were told to take a cup of cement and harden up.
Most sports these days are well tuned to recognise mental fragility.
Cricket may be just catching up with the other ports.
I thought S Smith was going to fall in a deep deep hole after he got banned; he was crying seriously in the TV interviews.
Warner on the other hand, has inherited the mental toughness of Steve Waugh.
By the way, did anyone else notice that none of the Aus/Sl T20's were televised on Free to air??
Obviously the lankans just don't rate,

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

henrietta
post Posted: Oct 31 2019, 03:53 PM
  Quote Post

So, what's with our Aussie cricketers these days? Maxwell needs a break from cricket for mental health reasons, young Will Pucovski has had a couple of "breaks"( but still seems to be in the running).

Is a professional life so hard ? Are our players more fragile ?

How can any of these players even be considered for the tough test arena, where physical and mental toughness is paramount?

I just don't get it. You'd think that players would be busting their gut to get in the team ....... not taking mental health breaks.

Puzzled.

Cheers
J

balance
post Posted: Oct 22 2019, 03:09 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Oct 22 2019, 02:53 PM

5 days of gate takings and tv for sponsors is the key I'm sure.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

triage
post Posted: Oct 22 2019, 02:53 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Oct 22 2019, 02:23 PM

Mr B - I suspect it all comes down to money. A slugathon that runs for the full 5 days is better for the media outlet that paid lots of money for the rights to the cricket than something that has 39 wickets fall in three and half days.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

balance
post Posted: Oct 22 2019, 02:23 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Oct 21 2019, 04:42 PM

I can't help bur feel that the people in charge have mistakenly thought that all Aussie cricket fans want is runs and more runs

Yes, drop in pitches have taken the character out of the majority of test venue pitches here. I understood why the MCG went to a drop in because of the longer winter and shorter recovery period post VFL/AFL season.

Adelaide has a day night test this year which has proven interesting.

I'm with you, watching batsmen slaughter bowlers on dead tracks is boring cricket. Wickets falling is exciting. More balance is required plus you get a better chance of a result.. That's why the tests in England were so good this year. It was a contest and batsmen truly earned their runs.

--------------------
I'm 29.

henrietta
post Posted: Oct 21 2019, 04:42 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Oct 21 2019, 01:29 PM

G'day B

re "unless they expect a really flat wicket "

Unfortunately most Australian wickets are flat, maybe the Gabba the only exception , now that WA has changed. It's a great pity, and does Australian cricket no favours. I can't help bur feel that the people in charge have mistakenly thought that all Aussie cricket fans want is runs and more runs.

Cheers
J

mb75
post Posted: Oct 21 2019, 01:34 PM
  Quote Post

When given a choice between younger and older batsmen, such as S Marsh or Pucovski, the selectors should go for youth every time. I think I'd also do the same with bowlers, Jhye Richardson ahead of Starc.

balance
post Posted: Oct 21 2019, 01:29 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Oct 21 2019, 10:49 AM

Just to add , I think we can leave out any of the innings at the Junction oval last round where every man and his dog scored a century. I think there were 12 wickets for about 1300 runs.
SMarsh got some runs this week but I hope they don't consider him again. Despite being quite a good state player he's never quite been there as a test player. Better to have someone fail with 10 years in front of them not a year or so.

Starc bowled quite well so he's back in the mix. Cummins and Hazlewood are certainties. I doubt Sidds will get a look in unless they expect a really flat wicket and want someone to bowl themselves to death.
Pattinson maybe, but Jhye Richardson quite likely I think. I've not seen his numbers this season, but his record is very good and he was impressive prior to hurting his shoulder.

--------------------
I'm 29.

501 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING