Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

21 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

TESLA, The Ambitions of Musk
nipper
post Posted: Apr 12 2021, 11:22 AM
  Quote Post

Elon Musk Leaves Vladimir Putin Stranded on Earth

Sixty years after Yuri Gagarin's historic flight, Russia's space industry can't get its act together.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/...ay-s-space-race

... an interesting article for the general public

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Apr 3 2021, 01:25 PM
  Quote Post

Tesla delivered 184,800 vehicles in the first quarter, putting it on pace to easily surpass the near 500,000 vehicles it delivered in 2020.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Mar 23 2021, 06:29 PM
  Quote Post

causing ripples in the world of Advice close inverted commas

https://twitter.com/ARKInvest/status/137331...20210323-p57d72

This week Ark used soapbox Twitter to directly promote its Tesla research and $US3000 price target to reach and influence as many investors as possible. Shameless self-promotion is nothing new on social media, but it is for an asset management industry schooled in the idea that proprietary research is kept secret for good reasons.

One reason is the fact that buy-side research is intellectual property effectively paid for by the firm via research analysts’ substantial salaries. So it wouldn’t make sense giving it away on Twitter.

Another reason is that buy-side research creates compliance issues in that staff normally can’t buy companies kept on an asset manager’s research recommended list ahead of the firm, with the financial firepower to move stock prices when it buys in.

A third reason is the idea that publicising your intellectual property would provide rivals a free kick in helping them beat the market in using your best ideas.

--------------------

early birds
post Posted: Feb 24 2021, 11:15 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 24 2021, 11:08 AM

*but are they investors?

=====================

lmaosmiley.gif , good question nipper, the answer is kinda obvious .... or is it?? lmaosmiley.gif

nipper
post Posted: Feb 24 2021, 11:08 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Feb 24 2021, 08:39 AM

good days and not so good days
Global investors, fearing an overvalued market, have dumped high-flying tech stocks and bitcoin once again.

The slump in bitcoin's value, along with Tesla's falling share price, have shaved $US15.2 billion ($19.2 billion) off Elon Musk's net worth, causing him to lose his title as the "world's richest person". ....

Tesla shares plummeted by as much as 13 per cent overnight, but trimmed their losses to just 2.2 per cent by the time Wall Street finished trading. This was on top of Tesla's 9 per cent slump yesterday.

Bitcoin is both a "friend and foe" for the Tesla boss, Wedbush Securities analyst Daniel Ives said. While Tesla on paper made roughly $US1 billion on bitcoin in a month that exceeded all its EV [electric vehicle] profits from 2020, the recent 48 hour sell off in bitcoin and added volatility has driven some investors to the exits on this name in the near-term, he said.

*but are they investors?

--------------------

early birds
post Posted: Feb 24 2021, 08:39 AM
  Quote Post

Elon Musk, the mercurial and relentlessly optimistic founder and CEO of Tesla Motors (TSLA), may have flown a bit too close to sun this weekend. Despite news that the company added $1.5B of the cryptocurrency Bitcoin to its corporate treasury last month, Musk tweeted over the weekend that the price of Bitcoin “seemed high,” a comment that some analysts are attributing to Bitcoin’s -20% correction over the last two days.

More relevant to TSLA’s actual business, BMW CEO Oliver Zipse publicly commented at a conference earlier today that “It won’t be easy for Tesla to continue at that speed because the rest of the industry is moving ahead big time.” More than volatile day-to-day fluctuations in cryptocurrency that represents just 0.2% of Tesla’s market capitalization, the risk of increasing EV competition from established automakers represents a serious threat to Tesla’s position and could erode Tesla’s ‘first mover’ advantage. Recent news that Tesla was lowering prices on its Model 3 and Model Y vehicles reinforces the perspective that competition in the space is rising sharply.

See our piece on the top EV stocks and everything you need to know about this fast-growing industry here!

Tesla Motors (TSLA) technical analysis

After failing to break above $900/share repeatedly over the last six weeks, TSLA has rolled over to test its lowest levels of 2021. More significantly, the stock is trading well below its 50-day EMA for the first time since April, and its 14-day RSI is probing oversold territory, signaling that the current selloff is more substantial than any of the pullbacks over the course of the shares’ breathtaking 1,000% rally off the COVID-panic lows last March:

Looking ahead, the next key level of support to watch will be the 100-day EMA near $650. If that level breaks, the selloff could extend toward previous-resistance-turned-support at $500. While a 45% drop from the highs is certainly nothing to sneeze at, it’s worth noting that the stock first crossed $500 just three months ago, so long-term holders would still be in profit on their positions even then.

Meanwhile, bulls will be looking to see if TSLA can regain its 50-day EMA near $750 as a sign that the buying momentum is returning.

===========================

more of TA stuffs. it is mind blogging that tesla can rally that high. "most shorted stocks " might have to be one of the reasons as short squeeze chaos going on
looking at FA side of thing, , man i'm bit speechless to see the run up... ohmy.gif

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 28 2021, 04:42 PM
  Quote Post

Now heres a headline I never really expected to see, I thought it weould go broke before it got to this>
From Todays OZ
Tesla Inc. posted its first full-year profit and laid out plans for a sharp increase in production over the coming years after meeting rising demand for electric vehicles with record deliveries.

The Silicon Valley car maker expects to increase deliveries by about 50% annually and, Chief Executive Elon Musk Wednesday said, will likely top that rate this year and next. The company delivered around half a million vehicles to customers last year.

Mr. Musk last year suggested a delivery target of about 840,000 to one million vehicles in 2021. Wall Street’s projection is for about 796,000 vehicles.

For 2020, Tesla reported a profit of $721 million on about $31.5 billion in sales, supported by the increase in deliveries and higher revenue from regulatory credits. That compares with an $862 million loss and sales of $24.6 billion in 2019. The company topped Wall Street’s revenue expectation of about $31.1 billion, according to FactSet, though it missed profit estimates.

Tesla’s financial results have been buoyed by the sale of regulatory credits to rival auto makers that need them to comply with emissions-related rules. Such credits brought in roughly $1.6 billion last year, up from $594 million in 2019.

But Tesla said its bottom line in the latest quarter was weighed down by a range of factors, including supply-chain costs and preparations for updated versions of its Model S luxury sedan and Model X sport-utility vehicle.

Costs linked to Mr. Musk’s stock-based compensation package also dented earnings. Mr. Musk, who doesn’t accept a salary from Tesla, became eligible for multiple tranches of stock options last year.

Shares in the car maker slumped some 5% in after-hours trading. Tesla delivered quarterly profits during the pandemic despite the temporary shutdown of its U.S. car plant because of the health crisis. To manage the impact, Mr. Musk battled with local authorities to reopen the factory, temporarily reduced salaries, furloughed workers and sought rent breaks. Later in the year, he tested positive for Covid-19. Mr. Musk, on a call, said that while the workload was immense, he expected to keep running the car maker “for several years.” The 17-year-old company’s performance, coupled with wider investor enthusiasm about electric vehicles, sent the stock soaring more than 700% last year and turned Tesla into the world’s most-valuable auto maker. The string of quarterly profits also allowed it to secure a spot in the S&P 500 index.

Tesla is one of several American tech giants on a path to emerge from the pandemic stronger than before. Apple Inc. on Wednesday said profit in the most recent quarter rose 29%, with three-month sales topping $111 billion for the first time, aided by demand for laptops and iPad tablets in the work-from-home era. Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday also reported record sales and issued an upbeat outlook for the rest of its financial year. Social-media giant Facebook Inc. Wednesday posted record quarterly revenue and profit.

The car maker generated a profit of $270 million in the fourth quarter, up from $105 million a year earlier. Sales rose about 46% to roughly $10.7 billion.

Yes, it only made a profit by selling regulatory credits to other car makers, but a profit is a profit.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 17 2021, 09:45 AM
  Quote Post

From Elektrek

Electrek has learned from sources familiar with the matter that Tesla has instructed employees to sell all Model S and Model X inventory in stores across all markets.

Tesla aims to have absolutely no Model S or Model X in inventory by the end of the month.

It should be achievable since Tesla hasn’t produced new Model S and Model X vehicles in almost a month due to a production shutdown of the lines for its flagship electric sedan and SUV.

The move is unusual at the beginning of a new quarter and it intensifies rumors of a design refresh.Over the last few months, we have been extensively reporting on rumors of a possible Model S and Model X design refresh have been increasing lately — especially since Tesla announced that the Model S Plaid is going to require several important changes.

In December, we also reported on Tesla significantly increasing the delivery timeline and price of Model S and Model X going to Europe in March.

Furthermore, we learned that Tesla has extended the Model S/X production holiday shutdown through early January, leading some to believe that the automaker is updating the production line to produce a new version of the electric sedan.

As we previously reported, Tesla has a ‘secret project Palladium’, which included working on new production lines for Model S and Model X last year.

Back in 2018, we reported on Tesla working on a significant interior design refresh for Model S and Model X that was at the time planned for the summer of 2019.

It is worth noting that Elektrec is a generally pro tesla blog.
There may be other reasons for the above, namely that the NHTSA had asked Tesla to recall about 158,000 Model S and Model X units that could potentially suffer from failing display consoles. Tesla has already resisted the recall request, suggesting it was an over reaction. It would seem that perhaps dumping all of the Model S and X unsold vehicles is another way to wipe their hands of the problem.
It should also be noted that like then reported " Tesla working on a significant interior design refresh for Model S and Model X that was at the time planned for the summer of 2019" being already nearly two years late, the electric semi (truck) and the roadster that were promised just prior to that announcement is over two years late. Its all vapourware.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Jan 15 2021, 09:37 AM
  Quote Post

Last week, on Friday, Tesla had $62 billion of trading volume in one day. This was the second highest day for any individual stock in history, only behind the day of the index inclusion. Those were not all retail investors.

Fund managers, Index funds now it is in the 500, index huggers. they are all forced to own the stock or risk underperforming the index. FOMO

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Dec 28 2020, 08:35 PM
  Quote Post

there is always a contrarian view

Pending its inclusion in the S&P 500 index (which nearly doubled its already Brobdingnagian market cap), TSLA sold another $US5 billion of stock in December through at-the-market sales rather than via an underwriting, allowing it to put the Robinhood crowd out of its misery, Lewis wrote.

What is interesting about this, other than that it avoids SEC scrutiny of an offering document, is that the company could easily sell 10 times that much stock in this manner over the course of a month without significantly hurting its stock price in today's bubble environment.

And that is precisely what it should be doing. Whatever its market cap, TSLA will struggle to compete with the manufacturing and engineering capabilities of GM, Volkswagen, Volvo and other much larger automakers unless it adds significantly to its own manufacturing capacity over the next three to five years.

If it is not turning out at least 2 million vehicles annually by 2025 (still rendering it a relatively minor player globally), which is going to be a stretch with its current manufacturing facilities, it will risk being left in the dust by the rest of the industry.

There is a big difference between being a sharemarket darling and an effective competitor in the industry. A grossly inflated market cap supported by central banks and market structure rather than underlying profitability is not going to sustain the business over the long term.

Lewitt believes the US stock market is in a bubble and that there are forces at work which point to the need for investors to be cautious.

The foundations of our economy and markets grow increasingly fragile as policymakers treat the symptoms but not the underlying disease eating away at not just the American but the global economy.

The symptoms are low productivity, massive overcapacity, massive speculation, and widening wealth inequality, and the disease is runaway debt caused by misguided fiscal (including tax, especially tax) and monetary policies promulgated by intellectually and morally corrupt ruling classes.

Waiting for this regime to change is not a promising investment strategy, but riding it to the end is even more dangerous.

Investors need to avoid the most egregiously priced securities (which includes not only the nutty technology stocks but all fixed-income securities) and focus on capital preservation rather than chasing returns that are not generated by economic growth but instead by central bank money printing and momentum driven market structures.

And, as always, they need to own gold in order to save themselves .
... Michael E Lewitt, editor of the Credit Strategist:

AHEM (or Amen)

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rlane  

21 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING