Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

16 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

TESLA, The Ambitions of Musk
Nopoo
post Posted: Yesterday, 03:23 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jul 2 2020, 10:59 AM

At $1300 a share I wonder how many short sellers are shorting TESLA ?

fyi,

Ideanomics Fires Back At Short-Selling Reports, And Other Positive Signs

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4357177-id...-positive-signs

--------------------
Nopoo

henrietta
post Posted: Jul 2 2020, 10:59 AM
  Quote Post

I've been looking at hydrogen as a fuel, power source. I note that Elon is not a fan ..... "Fuel cells=fool sells, the Tesla CEO mocked Nikola's core technology in a tweet early Thursday morning. It's staggeringly dumb, he wrote in another tweet.

Perhaps he is a bit worried.

The idea of hydrogen as a power source has always been looked at because of its relative abundance and cheapness.
Controlling the changes in molecular structure, and safe containers , and distribution, are the hurdles.

Look forward to seeing a Hydrogen pump ( or maybe a cell exchange ) at my local servo.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

nipper
post Posted: Jul 2 2020, 10:06 AM
  Quote Post

In New York trading overnight, shares in the electric car company rose 3.7 per cent to $US1119.63, giving it a market capitalisation of $US207.7 billion ($298 billion). Market cap for Toyota is $US202.5 billion. For perspective, BHP's market cap is $US115.7 billion.

Even bullish analysts such as Wedbush's Dan Ives are struggling to keep up with Tesla's stock appreciation. He has a one-year target for Tesla of $US1000, with a bull case target of $US1500.

Our $US1000 price target represents 50x the long-term FY25 EPS [financial year 2025 earnings per share] earnings power of $US20, Mr Ives said in an overnight note. Key to Mr Ives' optimism is demand for Tesla vehicles in China, and rebounding deliveries in the US, in the past few weeks. However, the surge in COVID-19 cases could soon check sales yet again in the US.

The clear standout this quarter is the massive underlying demand coming out of China as we have seen demand surge in China for Model 3s in this key region with Giga 3 firing on all cylinders despite the softness seen earlier in April, Mr Ives said. Street deliveries are looking for 70,000 with 62,000 Model 3/Y deliveries in the quarter. We believe Tesla with a very strong end to the quarter likely could now be in the 85,000 to 90,000 range which could put the bottom-line in the area code of break even, a jaw dropping feat in a dark macro and COVID backdrop for Musk & Co.

While the Street reduced its annual delivery forecast to roughly 400,000 from its original 550,000 pre COVID, we now believe hitting 450,000 for the year could be in the cards.

On this day a year ago, Tesla's stock closed at $US227.17. The one-year return on the stock is 393 per cent. Tesla is scheduled to release initial second-quarter delivery and production numbers in the next few days.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Nopoo
post Posted: Jun 1 2020, 02:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ May 30 2020, 09:53 AM

Yes amazing that the test rocket blew up, but the it all worked well on the real launch. ...

Fyi

Update from Tesla's potential China sales marketing partner.

Ideanomics' EV Center Opens for Operations and Revenues

Ideanomics (NASDAQ: IDEX) CEO Alf Poor joined Steve Darling from Proactive with the news the company has finally opened the largest auto trading market in Qingdao at MEG's Qingdao EV hub.
Poor discusses why they decided to build this superstore and also why this location is perfect to service other Electric Vehicle markets as well.

http://ow.ly/71Hx50zSPqW

--------------------
Nopoo

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 30 2020, 09:53 AM
  Quote Post

Yikes, Elon might be a bit worried after one of his test rockets went boom yesterday.
This is just 24 hours before one of his working ones takes soem live astronauts into space.

Video of the spectacular blow up is from twitter

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 17 2020, 05:53 PM
  Quote Post

Musk has threatened to shift production of Teslas from California to Texas, because , well, Texas doesn't have sever lockdowns.
Methinks its just a ploy , as the lockdown will probably be over by the time they even lay the foundations for the new factory.
But on another front, Volkswagen has popped up as real threat to Musk.
from Zero Hedge
One could argue there's significant overlap to the types of car buyers that would consider both Tesla and Volkswagen brands. Both brands offer unique engineering and sleek designs. But up until now, only Tesla was
offering an EV.

Enter the Volkswagen ID3, which, with a price point of $33,000 possibly represents the biggest challenge to Tesla's dominant EV status yet. The vehicle goes on sale in Europe and the UK this summer, despite the coronavirus and offers the same amount of range and storage space as a Tesla Model 3.

The ID3 is going to offer three different battery choices and two power outputs. It has a claimed range of 260 miles.

Volkswagen has been taking pre-orders for the car and more than 35,000 people have placed deposits so far, according to Autocar. Those who placed deposits will be able to buy their cars starting June 17 in Europe. The UK will follow in mid-July due to the time it takes to get approval for right hand drive models.

Volkswagen sales boss Jürgen Stackmann says deliveries are on track and that the ID3 is the company's sole focus right now: “The focus of the company now is on ID 3. We’re almost ready, and we just need a few more weeks to get the software to where we need it to be. The entire team are working on this topic, and we want to deliver a great quality product on time – and that time is this summer.”

Volkswagen is aiming to build 100,000 ID3s this year and prices in the will start from around £27,500 before the government grant for the entry-level 45kWh version.

The storage capabilities of the ID3 make it a formidable competitor to the Model Y. The ID3 also features two digital dashboard displays and, as Business Insider says "...seems to offer a bit more familiarity" than the Tesla Model 3.
It also offers adaptive cruise control and lane assist, similar to Tesla's autopilot. And again, the price point could be the car's best selling point. Its $33,000 (USD) tag compares to about $48,000 for the Model 3 and $52,990 for the Model Y.

It was only matter of time before one of the existing car makers came up with something that will really challenge Tesla.
They have existing dealer networks, spare parts distribution systems, and brands that are highlyt recognisable.
Will be interesting.
Mick

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

Nopoo
post Posted: Apr 22 2020, 02:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 20 2020, 08:02 PM

Thanks Mick,

Yes I do have shares, not many ....

I honestly bought 1500 at 90 cents a share and I am long.

Why I post is that I see strong fundamentals and cheap valuation make a compelling investment opportunity..

Once it starts to generate revenues it will be a different company imo.

TESLA seems to be a good place to connect and post because they are both in China in EV market.

This recent news should help out both companies in China.

Ideanomics Reports China to Accelerate the Adoption of Electric Vehicles

https://investors.ideanomics.com/2020-04-21...ectric-Vehicles

--------------------
Nopoo

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 20 2020, 08:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Nopoo's post @ Apr 20 2020, 02:18 PM

All of the posts I could be bothered going back to read have been about the same company, ideanomics.
You don't happen to have lot of shares in this co by any chance??
Mick

--------------------

Nopoo
post Posted: Apr 20 2020, 02:18 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Mar 27 2020, 09:31 AM

Thanks good info on the charging of batteries ...... With charging stations in China Ideanomics ( Nasdaq: IDEX) is partnered with CATL & Petro China ....

Ideanomics approach ....

" energy sales pilot will focus on the convergence of payment systems, charging stations, and energy supply chains. The pilot will demonstrate a payment solution which will integrate gas, LNG, and electricity sales into a single secure platform payment interface with China Union Pay, and is designed to meet today's and tomorrow's energy needs. This new solution will deliver advanced payment features such as facial recognition and other contactless payment technologies. The platform is expected to launch by July 1.

Additionally, the pilot will demonstrate supercharging stations, provided by CATL into PetroChina gas stations in Nanjing, as previously announced.. MEG and PetroChina have explored various charging technologies and, along with CATL, expect to begin converting gas pumps to EV superchargers as soon as Q4 of this year."

https://investors.ideanomics.com/2020-04-07...EV-Energy-Sales

--------------------
Nopoo

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 27 2020, 09:31 AM
  Quote Post

From Science 2.0

A new paper shows that a selling feature of electric cars, fast-charging stations along highways, actually subject batteries to high temperatures and high resistance that can cause them to crack, leak, and lose their storage capacity.

What is needed is a method for charging at lower temperatures and therefore less risk of catastrophic damage and loss of storage capacity. A recent experiment did just that. Scientists charged one set of discharged Panasonic NCR 18650B cylindrical lithium-ion batteries, found in Tesla cars, using the same industry fast-charging method as fast chargers found along freeways. They also charged a set using a new fast-charging algorithm based on the battery's internal resistance, which interferes with the flow of electrons.

The internal resistance of a battery fluctuates according to temperature, charge state, battery age, and more. High internal resistance can cause problems during charging and the UC Riverside Battery Team charging method is an adaptive system that learns from the battery by checking the battery's internal resistance during charging. It rests when internal resistance kicks in to eliminate loss of charge capacity.
For the first 13 charging cycles, the battery storage capacities for both charging techniques remained similar. After that, the industry fast-charging technique caused capacity to fade much faster; after 40 charging cycles the batteries kept only 60% of their storage capacity. Batteries charged using the internal resistance charging method retained more than 80% capacity after the 40th cycle.

At 80% capacity, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries have reached the end of their use life for most purposes. Batteries charged using the industry fast-charging method reached this point after 25 charging cycles, while internal resistance method batteries were good for 36 cycles.

Worse, after 60 charging cycles, the industry method battery cases cracked, exposing the electrodes and electrolyte to air and increasing the risk of fire or explosion. High temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius/140 degrees Fahrenheit accelerated both the damage and risk.

"Capacity loss, internal chemical and mechanical damage, and the high heat for each battery are major safety concerns, especially considering there are 7,104 lithium-ion batteries in a Tesla Model S and 4,416 in a Tesla Model 3," said Professor Mihri Ozkan of UC Riverside.

The internal resistance method creates its own problems.
The charging system stops when the internal resistance gets too high. So, how long does it extend the "fast charge".
If the internal resistance goes up due to temperature, how long does it take for the temp to go down?

There may be a few more headaches coming up for Tesla.

Mick

--------------------

16 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING