Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >   

Reply to this topic

Newsletters - which ones? / good value?
nipper
post Posted: Oct 19 2019, 04:31 PM
  Quote Post

Curated content (and still free)

https://www.firstlinks.com.au/article/the-m...4869a1-83781601

Morningstar announced the acquisition of Cuffelinks today. As part of the acquisition, Graham Hand and his editorial assistant, Leisa Bell, have joined Morningstar. The Morningstar team and I are excited about the potential Cuffelinks, Graham and Leisa can bring to our readers and the broader business.

For Morningstar, the value of Cuffelinks, now branded as Firstlinks, can be attributed to quality, curated content, mission alignment and investor education.

Quality, curated content
The quality of the content and editorial attracted us to Cuffelinks and now Firstlinks. Personally, I am an avid reader of the weekly newsletter – as an industry professional but more importantly, as an investor – to support my own education and investing journey. I know many others in the Morningstar office share that perspective.

Whilst the availability of information has never been greater, so has the challenge of filtering the insightful from the everyday. Many of us are time poor and need to be selective about what we read. There is real value in curated content - timeless, common sense views from experts who have been around the blocks, seen the ups and downs of multiple cycles, and the evolution of the investment and regulatory landscape. Graham and his network of contributors deliver that every week.

Mission alignment
One thing was non-negotiable for us - the importance of mission, cultural alignment and 'doing it for the right reasons'. It became apparent very quickly in our discussions that we share a common set of values and beliefs, and those beliefs are embedded into the content and how we both operate.

Together, Morningstar and Firstlinks believe in:
- The value of financial advice and the important role advisers play.
- Taking a long-term, risk-aware approach to investing.
- The value of education and financial literacy for investors on their path to financial independence, particularly in retirement.

still useful, though I'm dubious as to the 'alignment'. Chris Cuffe was the first and best.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

MBA
post Posted: Oct 18 2008, 03:46 PM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (datum @ Saturday 18/10/08 01:07pm)

I think they're pretty much a waste of time. I subscribe to the Eureka Report and an American monthly pub and thats a bit it.

If you're after a daily market report or something like that Marcus Padley's one is pretty detailed. You get the midday one with ER but his afternoon one is usually about 20 or so pages long.

Otherwise, get a simple program to screen stocks based on your investment plan and criteria and do your own research according to your investment approach.

datum
post Posted: Oct 18 2008, 01:07 PM
  Quote Post

my regular email flyers appeared in my inbox.

Fat prophets have a two year offer for the price of one.

"The Intelligent Investor" has there regular free sample newsletters.
They have had a buy on HVN harvey norman @ $3.00 from a mth ago.
HVN now around $2.50.

needless to say you cant eat a new plasma TV or new computer if you get a bit hungry,
i think these newsletters are in serious denial,thinking that things are going to return to
normal next week or next month.
I dont believe this will be the case.

All these tip sheets wiil have disappeared come next year

--------------------
This is not a bottom draw stock. This is a stock you take to the grave with you.

Zaitech
post Posted: Aug 13 2008, 08:30 PM
  Quote Post

For me newsletters , magazines etc can be useful tools [and the more I trade the more ones I get for free]...for example if you are a Subscriber and get the info which is latter released to the public there can be a trader advantage [provided good circulation , mkt condition etc]

By way of example the Subcribers to the old SHARES mag [which I preferred to its current incarnation] could choose selective buys on Thursday...then on Friday it would be available in Newsagencies etc [so eager non-subscribers could buy] and finally you would have those who read through it on the weekend before placing orders...

So by looking through the mag with an eye to what the punters would buy on Friday/Monday [eg if good article , prominent position , stock not too expensive and consideration of t/a , external factors eg if goldie the POG]..you could get a sweet share play or two...

Trader forums can also be useful if nothing else to see what stocks are attracting the most chatter [although these are definitely not always the risers]..also good to check for signs of capitulation eg if someone has been riding a stock down and finally dumps that may be a signal to buy..

Also always important to understand that hype is definitely tradeable...provided you don`t get sucked in by it...in other words ...if you do not know who the sucker is...chances are it is you...

Finally I used to post alot and in great detail at another forum...so I know the time and energy it takes to do so...to that end I tip my hat to all those who actively and regular post in SS...even if I do not always agree...I truly think you folk make this place what it is...

I was going to list all the great contributors but I would not want to accidently miss someone...so hopefully you know who you are...well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Trading
Z

ps. I would be interested in reading newsletter by BSA wink.gif ...but I doubt I could afford it.. biggrin.gif

arty
post Posted: Aug 13 2008, 07:00 PM
  Quote Post

What a great Topic this is!

Nothing against newsletters like the Eureka Report or general Financial information, Education on how to set up a trading plan, establish rules for money management - every investor needs to know those.

But stock recommendations??? Give me a break! How can any outsider tell a diverse group of people, whose age, wealth, needs, commitments they don't know, what to buy and for how long? Not having a go at anyone in particular - but the very least I'd expect from such a "service" would be one section with the heading "Sorry" followed by some text along the lines "We got this one wrong. Cut your losses and sell. And the next three newsletters are on us." Has anyone seen an offer like that from any one that's "the best stock picker around"? --- Neither have I wink.gif

Request for ShareScene Admin: Please direct every newcomer here with the advice to

Learn from other people's mistakes! You'll never get old enough to make them all by yourself. tongue.gif

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

daggie
post Posted: Aug 13 2008, 06:32 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: BSA on Wednesday 13/08/08 06:12pm

It is not easy to admit on the SS forum that thru my stupidity and subscription to I4P I had lost a lot of money but it is true. There are heaps of free mail out from many spruikers and of course they have "to be the best" - they have to get you somehow....

Featured Stock Stories

BSA
post Posted: Aug 13 2008, 06:12 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: daggie on Wednesday 13/08/08 05:02pm

Surely that can't be true Daggie?? I get his free mail out and it always tells me how is the best stock picker on the planet puke.gif

--------------------

daggie
post Posted: Aug 13 2008, 06:02 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: early birds on Wednesday 13/08/08 03:24pm

Had an extremely bad experience with Invest 4 Profit or rather Invest 4 Loss. Still licking my wounds as I had lost a lot of money. mad.gif

early birds
post Posted: Aug 13 2008, 03:24 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: datum on Thursday 06/03/08 08:28pm

I just think Paul Nojin, aka Invest 4 Profit, like the rest of them, at the end of the day only make money for themselves
=========================================================

if he is that good for trading, why would he bother make money for sell news letter??

but have to say it is good for the beginners.

i droped them few years ago, after a fee disagreement. their salesman is so arogant at that time, lost a long term member.{with them from the start for three years}.

datum
post Posted: Aug 13 2008, 02:48 PM
  Quote Post

my regular free email flyer from The Intelligent Investor
has appeared & there opening paragraph doesn't look to pretty.............
(2 years of bad stock picks)

From a research perspective, the past 12 months have been the most difficult in The Intelligent Investor’s 10-year history. The Growth Portfolio fell 37% in the year to 30 June, the Income Portfolio fell 26%, and the last Buy recommendation to show a positive return was ARB Corporation in August 2006. There have been 15 since, of which three – Timbercorp, RHG and Platinum Asset Management – have more than halved.

--------------------
This is not a bottom draw stock. This is a stock you take to the grave with you.

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING